Should I Cancel my Trip to Bangkok?

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing that.

I stayed in lower Sukhumvit during that last protest ... it was OK.

Disappointing when some idiot lit the burning tyre on the BTS and then then restricted it hours and then closed the system.

Then they turned the phone cells off in certain areas.

Other minor inconveniences.

The Floods were much more difficult to deal with.

P.S. ... I arrive Friday week into Swampy, so I will follow this with interest.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

If you're not already in Thailand I'd advise you to cancel any plans you have to fly into Bangkok. Go to the Philippines instead.

If you're already in Thailand I'd advise you to go to Bangkok.

dear Billm your advise it's not smart at all.

I guess the poster doesn't visit the "bread and circus for plebs" areas and other places are with out any problem.

Or you don't like guests ?

• Like 1

I will fly into Don Meaung Airport on the 14th, what are the chances I will I be able to drive to Suvarnabhumi-Pattatya

Your chance is 100 %, but what does mean: Suvarnabhumi-Pattaya ? Do you mean to use the n. 7. highway by car to Pattaya? This also 100% with out any problem.

Edited by Loles

Everything is dandy as long as you don't wear yellow or red attire.

At least you don't have the risks of being abducted by radical jihadists like in the Phillipines or that unfortunate Taiwanese couple in a Malaysian Island. The most risk you'll have is going deaf from going near the whistleblowers but then again you'll have the benefit of free cuisine provided by supporters of the protest and readily handed out to anybody who walks by including tourists. Diarrhea is of course complimentary.

I will fly into Don Meaung Airport on the 14th, what are the chances I will I be able to drive to Suvarnabhumi-Pattatya

Take the toll road out of Don Meaung and link up to the toll for Swampy and Pattaya, you will miss all the problems.

• Like 1

Your chance is 100 %, but what does mean: Suvarnabhumi-Pattaya ? Do you mean to use the n. 7. highway by car to Pattaya? This also 100% with out any problem.

Yes exactly, need to get to highway 7 from Don Meaung (by car to Pattaya) but feel this will be impossible?

Soi Cowboy is a good indicator... if dancing on the table continues, it is biz as usual in Bangkok...

Heading there tonight, will update on table status tomorrow

Stevey, Mate ... you are a legend ... thumbsup.gif

Now, not that I'm saying that your journalistic qualifications may have been acquired at a less then a University standard, but a Photo says it all.

So, if you can so indulge us, I, for one, would be appreciative ... biggrin.png

At least you don't have the risks of being abducted by radical jihadists like in the Phillipines or that unfortunate Taiwanese couple in a Malaysian Island. The most risk you'll have is going deaf from going near the whistleblowers but then again you'll have the benefit of free cuisine provided by supporters of the protest and readily handed out to anybody who walks by including tourists. Diarrhea is of course complimentary.

How about my polo shirt...it has red and yellow stripes....will that work?

How about my polo shirt...it has red and yellow stripes....will that work?

Only if you pin a Thai flag to the back so they know what you mean ;-)

I live 300 meters from Ramkhamhaeng Rd, in front of Ramkhamhaeng University. When the mess was going on at the Stadium beside the university a couple of weeks back, I did not notice a thing. I simply came and went in the opposite direction. Town In Town.

During the big one 3 years ago I was not impacted, I just didn't go to the area that had the problems.

No doesn't make much sense, again I am flying in (if planes can land into Don Meaung) and need to go to Chonburi. Is there a "road" around this problem.

There are other ways to get from DM to Chonburi, rather than take the main roads - there are the tollways for a start - not very expensive and unlikely to be affected. If the road southwards toward the city is blocked, then you can go the other way north to Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road and turn east to the outer ring road, then south on that until you hit the tollway heading to Chonburi.

Also you could head north not quite as far as Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok but turn right (almost a u-turn) when Vibhavadi Rangsit Rd merges with Phahonyothin Road, head south on that (not far) to the intersection with Lam Luk Ka Rd and again follow that till you get to the Outer Ring Road etc.

Have a nice trip. :)

Being a long-time (14 year) retired resident, first in Bangkok and for the past 10 years in Chiang Mai, being a war veteran (Vietnam), and the father of four children, I am risk adverse and thus have already early-registered my cars (both due in late January) in case the Ministries are shut down, and ushered two of my sons already on long holidays in the Kingdom, to breeze into and out of Suvarnabhumi as they head to Chiang Mai, hoping they can return home via Lao or China if there is that need.

Yellow Generals are out of power and (reportedly) itching for it once more; Red Generals in power should be able to keep the nation calm but... having been in 'my war" and not relishing another, I know well that Generals alone don't create chaos. Who controls the wills of the lower officers and enlisted ranks will get their troops to do what the troops will. Sometimes it's the least foreseeable who will take the lead. Some troops will follow the yellows and some will follow the reds. I would not presume the yellows in the armed force will take control. For the most part the troops come from families of the working poor or impoverished. These are for the most part, the reds.

Do you really think being in Bangkok, even Thailand, is so important that you want to risk being caught in that lemon squeezer? If my sons were not already here I'd tell them to stay home.

Wow you really are risk-averse, but I think everyone is seeing problems that don't exist.

I have lived in Bangkok for 21 years and the only time I was concerned for the safety of anyone, was during the 2010 thing, and then I was only really concerned about people attending the protests (either side) - but if you were a kilometer or two away (as I was) you wouldn't know much about it (except for the fires from the arsonists).

Bangkok is totally business as usual, and if anyone os going elsewhere in the kingdom, there is no issue there either - just be sensible and if you see a protest march, keep clear - simple.

Excellent advice from someone who obviously knows what he is talking about.

Bottom line is that no one knows exacty what will happen, but any travel industry professional would recommend avoiding unnecessary travel to Bangkok under these circumstances - as have the embassies.

I have been traveling to hot spots around the world for a few decades writing about tourism development and travel safety , and do not scare easily. In current conditions, however, my family will not go to Bangkok at all until this conflict is resolved. I have been in Thailand for almost 10 years, and I have never seen greater risk for violent internal conflict . The government, much to their credit, has thus far shown a willingness to compromise but the protesters have yet to show any interest in compromise. Instead, they seem intent uöon provoking violence from the govenrment and their supporters. Thus far government and police reaction has been remarkably restrained ; however, if anything happens to the democratically elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra, things could get very ugly in hurry.

Needless to say, I pray that the protagonists find a path to peaceful negitiation, and that cooler heads prevail. Until then, however, I would recommend staying out of Bangkok.

uote name="SLESQ" post="7262828" timestamp="1389169138"]

Being a long-time (14 year) retired resident, first in Bangkok and for the past 10 years in Chiang Mai, being a war veteran (Vietnam), and the father of four children, I am risk adverse and thus have already early-registered my cars (both due in late January) in case the Ministries are shut down, and ushered two of my sons already on long holidays in the Kingdom, to breeze into and out of Suvarnabhumi as they head to Chiang Mai, hoping they can return home via Lao or China if there is that need.

Yellow Generals are out of power and (reportedly) itching for it once more; Red Generals in power should be able to keep the nation calm but... having been in 'my war" and not relishing another, I know well that Generals alone don't create chaos. Who controls the wills of the lower officers and enlisted ranks will get their troops to do what the troops will. Sometimes it's the least foreseeable who will take the lead. Some troops will follow the yellows and some will follow the reds. I would not presume the yellows in the armed force will take control. For the most part the troops come from families of the working poor or impoverished. These are for the most part, the reds.

Do you really think being in Bangkok, even Thailand, is so important that you want to risk being caught in that lemon squeezer? If my sons were not already here I'd tell them to stay home.

• Like 2