Suthep told to attend court for 2010 crackdown trial

webfact

Suthep Told To Attend Court For 2010 Crackdown Trial
By Khaosod English

sol.jpg

Soldiers firing their weapons at Redshirts protesters in Bangkok, 14 May 2010

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Attorney General has given a deadline for PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban to meet with the prosecutors and proceed with his murder charges, according to the court spokesman.

The leader of People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) has been charged with murders alongside former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva following court inquests which indicated that the military operation both men had authorised against Redshirts protests in 2010 have caused deaths to unarmed civilians.

More than 90 people died in the 2010 unrest. Although the military and the government at the time denied causing deaths to any civilians, numerous court inquests have contradicted their claims.

While Mr. Abhisit met with the public prosecutors on 12 December last year as instructed by the court, Mr. Suthep has postponed the meeting via his lawyer, citing busy schedule. The court approved the postponement and instructed Mr. Suthep to attend the court in early January.

However, Mr. Suthep′s lawyer has requested another postponement today, said spokesman of the Office of Attorney General, Mr. Nantasak Poolsuk, who also serves as chief of the Department of Special Litigation.

According to Mr. Nantasak, the PCAD leader claimed he needed to closely oversee the protests scheduled on 7-13 January. Mr. Suthep also stated that if he was not present at the protests and take care of the demonstrations by himself, his numerous supporters might be harmed by ill-intentioned assailants, Mr. Nantasak said.

Mr. Suthep has requested that he meet with public prosecutors on 6 February, and the court has subsequently approved his request, said the Department of Special Litigation chief.

"We decide that Mr. Suthep has no intention to delay the process," Mr. Nantasak said.

However, he said, the court has made clear to Mr. Suthep that it is imperative he shows up for the meeting as instructed on 6 February, since the court case cannot be delayed any further.

"The prosecutors have prepared over 100 witnesses to testify to the court, and many more document evidences," Mr. Nantasak told reporters.

He added that if Mr. Suthep entered the court procedures after the witness examination stage had already started, the court would be required to start the whole phase all over again so that Mr. Suthep, as a defendant, would be able to cross-examine the witnesses.

"It would make the process repetitive and very delayed," Mr. Nantasak said.

Mr. Nantasak also warned that an arrest warrant on Mr. Suthep would be approved if he fails to meet with public prosecutors on 6 February.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9URTJPVGt6TUE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-08

Justice seems always perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power. And that is a problem that engulfs both sides. But until that is rectified, the justice system will be forever tainted with favouritism, where decisions are made as to which cases to pursue, and which are deemed unworthy of being pursued. Can the people, therefore, take any solace with such clear selectivity ? Or is it like everything else that seems to be broken - where a resigned passivity takes hold ?

• Like 1

Mr. Suthep also stated that if he was not present at the protests and take care of the demonstrations by himself, his numerous supporters might be harmed by ill-intentioned assailants, Mr. Nantasak said.

Couldn't he just leave his magic force shield gadget with a trusted lieutenant? Like he does when he goes to the bogs.

• Like 2

Now this is what the present attempts to overthrow the government are really all about.

Conveniently timed.

I notice from the photo above the soldiers are using shotguns. In a crowded situation these are quite indiscriminate weapons.

• Like 1

Justice seems always perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power. And that is a problem that engulfs both sides. But until that is rectified, the justice system will be forever tainted with favouritism, where decisions are made as to which cases to pursue, and which are deemed unworthy of being pursued. Can the people, therefore, take any solace with such clear selectivity ? Or is it like everything else that seems to be broken - where a resigned passivity takes hold ?

"Justice seems always perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power"

Er........do you know something we don't. You seriously suggesting that a judicial system that has banned two Thaksin associated political parties and is currently doing it's best to dissolve the existing caretaker government, continually finding the democratic party free of any taint whatsoever is perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power?

Are you having a laugh?

Now this is what the present attempts to overthrow the government are really all about.

Conveniently timed.

I notice from the photo above the soldiers are using shotguns. In a crowded situation these are quite indiscriminate weapons.

You're quite right...there were shotguns being used.....I understand they were supposedly to fire the rubber bullets, but who knows......you'll also notice in the middle, is the muzzle of an M16.....no rubber bullets from these....

Er........do you know something we don't. You seriously suggesting that a judicial system that has banned two Thaksin associated political parties and is currently doing it's best to dissolve the existing caretaker government, continually finding the democratic party free of any taint whatsoever is perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power?

Are you having a laugh?

That kneejerk reaction again, you simple had to insert "judicial system ... currently doing it's best to dissolve the existing caretaker government", now didn't you?

Anyway, Suthep told to attend court. Interestingly it's only to hear new charges of 'premeditated murder' like k. Abhisit already acknowledged on the 12th of December last year, the charges that is.

Strange that all of a sudden we get "He added that if Mr. Suthep entered the court procedures after the witness examination stage had already started, the court would be required to start the whole phase all over again so that Mr. Suthep, as a defendant, would be able to cross-examine the witnesses. ". One would assume that both defendants need to be present for the real start of the trial and before such witness examination can be started in court. It also suggests that all of a sudden the trial can be started whereas that of the UDD leaders seems bogged down somehow.

Clearly the judiciary is currently doing it's best to facilitate ... ...

Edited by rubl

Still thinking the murder charges against Abisith and Suthep are "shaky", to say the least...he claims a busy schedule, for not attending the hearing???

He is charged with murder and he has a too-busy-schedule?

Red Bull, anyone?

• Like 1

Still thinking the murder charges against Abisith and Suthep are "shaky", to say the least...he claims a busy schedule, for not attending the hearing???

He is charged with murder and he has a too-busy-schedule?

Red Bull, anyone?

I thought he only requested postponing hearing yet another charge of 'pre-meditated murder'. That would be the fourth charge I think. The way the OAG handles this both Abhisit and Suthep may be requested to drop by to hear another 30 - 40 odd charges. Those would only be concerning what the DSI called 'the easy cases'

• Like 1

Are you having a laugh?

Try to be objective: It's the same judicial system that let Thaksin off the hook so he could become PM in the first place.

Justice seems always perennially tipped in favour of whomever is in power.

Are you having a laugh?

There were ample grounds to ban TRT 2 on the grounds of the ludicrously rigged election they ran in 2006 funding their own competitors to try to give a pretense of a fair election.

Then in 2007 PPP bought votes and were caught; perhaps you think this is acceptable, others don't. They knew the consequences and they did it anyhow.

And now we have DSI's Tarit, the guy who was part of CRES running operations against the protesters in 2010; he apparently can escape ALL consequences, while Abhisit and Suthep face full consequences. We have the guy who organised the coup against Thaksin happily being part of the government.

Justice seems not to be blind, on that I agree...but to suggest that the Thaksin associated parties aren't completely guilty is just crazy.

At least Suthep and Abhisit have not run overseas like the cowards before them (Thaksin, Asavahame, et al) while they try to align the stars to get themselves amnesty.

I presume you missed the ruling where General Thammarak was cleared of Election Fraud

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694809-appeals-court-clears-general-thammarak-of-election-fraud/#entry7258266

I didn't suggest that the Thaksin associated parties are completely without guilt anywhere in my post. I posited that the Judicial system was in no way perenially tipped in favour of the whomever is in power. So forget what you thought I wrote and read what I did.

It is also obvious that the dem party is also not completely without guilt but they seem to have a good luck justice fairy. TPI Polene anybody?

Conveniently timed.

You're quite right...there were shotguns being used.....I understand they were supposedly to fire the rubber bullets, but who knows......you'll also notice in the middle, is the muzzle of an M16.....no rubber bullets from these....

and do you also notice where it is pointing, at the ground so that it can be raised if needed to return live fire. The shotguns are unloading the "bean bag" rounds and the m16 is obviously there in case they come under live fire but it is not pointing at anyone unless you think the holder is trying to bounce live rounds off the groundw00t.gif

• Like 1

It would certainly seem as if these O.A.G. people making these statement live in a delusional world of their own totally divorce from reality

They could always send a snatch squad from the investigative branch, led by its fearless crusading leader to serve the warrant and make the arrest. I'm sure he would be willing.wink.png

Suthep has been responsible for the deaths of 90+ .... and counting.

Please god put this maniac behind bars before he kills anyone else.

Don't bother waiting for the trial, evidence or verdict. He must be guilty, PTP say so. And they never lie do they?

Why not hold Thaksin responsible? He is accuesed by some of being the one who organized, financed, controlled and orchestrated the violence escalations.

Have you been privy to all the evidence? Or just deciding in accordance with your political bias?

Conveniently timed.

Shot guns can fire rubber and bean bag without modify adapter - but the M16 in the picture in not in blanks or rubber bullet mode, it can only fire real live ammo in it's configuration.

and do you also notice where it is pointing, at the ground so that it can be raised if needed to return live fire. The shotguns are unloading the "bean bag" rounds and the m16 is obviously there in case they come under live fire but it is not pointing at anyone unless you think the holder is trying to bounce live rounds off the groundw00t.gif

well spotted seajae ..

There were ample grounds to ban TRT 2 on the grounds of the ludicrously rigged election they ran in 2006 funding their own competitors to try to give a pretense of a fair election.

Then in 2007 PPP bought votes and were caught; perhaps you think this is acceptable, others don't. They knew the consequences and they did it anyhow.

And now we have DSI's Tarit, the guy who was part of CRES running operations against the protesters in 2010; he apparently can escape ALL consequences, while Abhisit and Suthep face full consequences. We have the guy who organised the coup against Thaksin happily being part of the government.

Justice seems not to be blind, on that I agree...but to suggest that the Thaksin associated parties aren't completely guilty is just crazy.

At least Suthep and Abhisit have not run overseas like the cowards before them (Thaksin, Asavahame, et al) while they try to align the stars to get themselves amnesty.

I presume you missed the ruling where General Thammarak was cleared of Election Fraud

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694809-appeals-court-clears-general-thammarak-of-election-fraud/#entry7258266

I didn't suggest that the Thaksin associated parties are completely without guilt anywhere in my post. I posited that the Judicial system was in no way perenially tipped in favour of the whomever is in power. So forget what you thought I wrote and read what I did.

It is also obvious that the dem party is also not completely without guilt but they seem to have a good luck justice fairy. TPI Polene anybody?

you forgot to mention the 'too small election poster' case where the Democrats party even had the cheek to ask for a proper receipt with VAT and the like. Pity really that the court threw out the two cases because of procedure errors before getting a chance to say something about lack of details on the alleged offences rolleyes.gif