Package sent overseas lost. What to do? I shipped via Thai Post

AlexDorneles

I sent a couple of packages to the US in October last year via air mail registered. It was nothing of high value so insurance was not really necessary but since they were heavy the shipping charges were expensive.

The packages still didn't arrive and I know if I ship via registered mail it has an automatic insurance of up to 1400 baht. That should cover the cost but the problem is the f manager of the branch in Silom keeps giving me the run around and tells me to wait another week, He is saying that because I don't speak Thai and he just doesn't care about it. What can I do? I just want to grab him by the neck, this guy is just not taking me serious and I am running out of patience.

I don't want to scream and get angry but I see no other solution to get this guy to take me serious.

Anyone here had a hard time filling an insurance claim for lost or damaged mail at the Thai Post?

• Like 1

I'm sure it's possible that heavy packages sent surface could take over 12 weeks to arrive, I"ve had even lighter stuff take almost that long, maybe he's right to say wait a while.

Is the B1400 even worth that aggravation to you? If so, I'd recommend dealing with the main GPO on Charoen Krung?

i've had one leaf standard airmail letters (aerogram) take 6 weeks to Farangistan, ordinary letter take 2 weeks from chiang mai to bkk, so 4 months for big packages to barbaristan is entirely possible TiT

Edited by Big Pinkie

I had a similar experience and had virtually given up on the package arriving.

I will say though that the guys at Silom were as helpful as they could be.

Any to cut a long story short..it eventually turned up..I think about 10 weeks

I presume the OP has at least tried the Thailand Post website using the tracking number to see where the parcel is. (Sometimes this will track all the way to destination, but at other times stops at Suvarnabhumi. It's very inconsistent.)

I presume the OP has at least tried the Thailand Post website using the tracking number to see where the parcel is. (Sometimes this will track all the way to destination, but at other times stops at Suvarnabhumi. It's very inconsistent.)

It is very consistent for me,

Registered post is tracked to Swampy departure.

EMS is tracked to the final destination.

Anything other than Registered post or EMS with Thai postal service appears to be discretional delivery. Sorry to say, unless you pay a higher fee for some sought of tracking service, you get exactly what you pay for and that is no assurance of delivery at all.

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me, I sent a package to my son, after a month it had not arrived, I went to the post office and asked them to track the package, after the (free of charge) tracking they found that the package was still in Thailand. A week later my son informed me that the package had arrived.

Go to the post office and ask them to track your package or you can do it on the net using the tracking number!

Cheers

Entering the Thai tracking number into the tracking system in the receiving country usually shows the remainder of journey and who signed for it & date.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

I used to same service (air mail w/ tracking) and it takes on average 10 days to the US. Once it leaves Thailand I track in the USPS site and it always worked as it should. I think the Thai Mail is pretty reliable except when it comes to trying to make a claim for lost or damaged mail.

I sent one to Australia in August last year and it has never arrived. I sent a copy of the invoice from the post office to the recipient and when they had the aussie PO check it, they found that the parcerl had never been entered into the thai system, in other words someone had taken it home to sell. I have faced off the staff but they refuse to help and so does head office, they all deny any knowledge of it or the contents, this is just what you get used to here, there is always someone in the thai postal service that think they have more rights to your goods than you do, have had this happen a lot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sent one to Australia in August last year and it has never arrived. I sent a copy of the invoice from the post office to the recipient and when they had the aussie PO check it, they found that the parcerl had never been entered into the thai system, in other words someone had taken it home to sell. I have faced off the staff but they refuse to help and so does head office, they all deny any knowledge of it or the contents, this is just what you get used to here, there is always someone in the thai postal service that think they have more rights to your goods than you do, have had this happen a lot.

Any mails that are not registered or trackable are easily taken home by the workers of Thailand postal services. I had bought several items from ebay and was sent through ordinary airmail, but was lost along the chain, went to the post office and they said nothing can be done as it was not registered in the first place, so better send by registered mail unless items that are unless to them, like letters or x-ray films.