Can Someone Recommend Broadband Internet?

socialdev

I'm moving to the Sukumvit Soi 13 area and would like to get a good affordable Internet Provider. Can someone recommend one for me? Also if you can, let me know how long it takes to get it installed.

Thanks guys,

Michael

I got TRUE internet in 10 days and I haven't had to pay for the first 3 months.

Cost 300 baht to install.

Are they charging you that to send someone round to put the modem in Neeranam? Its an easy bit of money saved if they are since its so simple to do yourself.

Just asking as when I joined up with them they wanted to send a dude round to my house as well for about the same cost, but really its a 2 minute job.

I bet this post will receive some rather nasty comments; here goes;

Why does anyone, except those people who rely on internet for work, need broadband?

I have used broadband in Thailand: it is poor.

This is not Europe.

There are no standards, or refund of your monthly fee, even if it 'goes down'.

Stick to dial up. You will be richer, more in control, and will save your sanity.

If you live in BKK then telephone lines (should) be a decent quality so you will achieve a decent speed on dial-up.

O.K. computer bores...........have your say, I know, you are downloading the 'Grateful Dead' concert from the early '70's........Ho. Ho Ho.

Why does anyone, except those people who rely on internet for work, need broadband?

I don't need it but it is much better, and more reliable than dial-up. It's much cheaper too. 700baht a month I think, and that's u. I sometimes need it when I make/lose money on some sites. I don't know why you've such a resentment against it - can't you get it? :o I download music, but stuff from the 80's.

Totster, I paid the money for a box he put in.

It says 100Mb/sec, but when I did a test I got 460kb/s. 10 times faster than dial-up.

I don't need it but it is much better, and more reliable than dial-up. It's much cheaper too. 700baht a month I think, and that's u. I sometimes need it when I make/lose money on some sites. I don't know why you've such a resentment against it - can't you get it? :o I download music, but stuff from the 80's.

Totster, I paid the money for a box he put in.

It says 100Mb/sec, but when I did a test I got 460kb/s. 10 times faster than dial-up.

How can it be cheaper at 700 baht a month? Dial-Up is 3 baht connection and 6-12 baht an hour.

So if I use the internet 15/30 days a month 15x3=45 baht and 1 hour (most expenivse) 15x12=180 baht.

TOTAL= 225 baht for 15 hours internet time per month and a lot cheaper if I choose to 'surf' after 00.00 hours.

Plus; here is real benefit, if I go away on a business/pleasure trip for any amount of time. NIL.

Broadband at 700 baht is a swindle: That is 120 GBP a year. Forget it unless you rely on the internet for business. Even wealthy readers of this post will agree.

I have lived in Sukhumvit Soi 13 for almost a year and have been using TRUE'S SME 1Mbps service. I have hardly had any problems with it and I rely completely on the internet for my living. It is not as good as ADSL back in the UK but for Thailand I have been satisfied with it. It costs 2500 Baht per month.

How can it be cheaper at 700 baht a month? Dial-Up is 3 baht connection and 6-12 baht an hour.

I was at least 300 baht a month for my telephone bill. logging on 3 times a day on average.

The 'Ego' internet I bought was cheap - 25 hours for 199 baht. I'd use at least one a week.

That's about (199 x 4) 800b + 300b = 1100b a month.

I have no telephone bill now - I don't have a telephone line.

If you just look at ADSL as a "better dialup" you will probably be ok. An advantage over dialup is you don't get dinged a few baht every time you dial. You also don't tie up your phone at all which is nice. It is "always on" so you don't have to explicitly check mail. Your inbox is always topped off with the latest automatically. The time to connect is also nearly instantaneous. The effective speed is usually better than dialup. And you never need to remember to press the "disconnect" button.

Several years ago Thailand's ADSL model was cost prohibitive and unreliable. Today's ADSL is now affordable, but still unreliable and I'm not just referring to outages. In the early days of ADSL they used to play games to limit your bandwidth usage. Things like "unlimited" packages that had fine print for baht/hour metering or prohibited you from accessing international web sites. Today bandwidth games are still being played, but in different ways. They advertise hi speeds and unlimited bandwidth, but the reality is everyone's connection is throttled down to very slow effective speeds. Buy a 1mbit package and you'll just never, ever get 1mbit. With true for instance, I find I get but a fraction of the advertised speed. Download a big file from Microsoft and it ends up taking 10x longer than it could/should. Watching my speed it's like they have short term and long term speed limiters that come into play based on what you are doing. On top of this I observe they explicitly cap speeds to a crawl for simple, but high bandwidth applications like file sharing, ftp, pop3, and https. Most countries continually make the internet a faster place and embrace emerging uses of the technology. For instance, a good percentage of Japan households subscribe to 26 megabit connections that go for just 1000 baht (that's a 100:1 bang for the buck over true). Thailand on the other hand seems to spend all their R&D budgets figuring out ways to limit your speed and lock you out of using the connection for emerging technologies. They just think differently here.