What happened to the captain of the Ferry that sank end of last year?

chappie1207

Changed his name into Schettino II ...

I'm thinking of going for a cruise in Italy or Pattaya because if there's a sinking I should be Ok even though I can't swim as there is none of that nonsense about "women and children first". laugh.png

Edited by Card

Yes...what happened to him? What happened to...the red bull guy, any of the cases at the special tourist courts, any of those charged with assaulting, stealing. Even the goat cheese shoplifter.We don't know because there is rarely if ever any coverage/reporting of proceedings following arrests

Yesterdays news is wrapping up today's fish and chips.

13 years ago, in Bangkok, a fellow teacher,Thai, was gunned down,at his front door, in front of his wife and children. He had been translating for an American business man who was taking a Thai power broker to court. He had been warned only the day before to lay off but he needed the income.There were 6 witnesses.The case never got to court and I still mourn his death as do his family.

The Red Bull guy, to all accounts, is holed up in a 6 star hotel hotel in Hong Kong,sound familiar ?

What accident? As far as some Thai government sea safety committee stated about 2 months ago, 2013 was the best year they have had on the waterways around Pattaya no major accidents or deaths, they even had a ceremony and gave out awards down by the water police station in south Pattaya. LMFAO when I read it

• Like 1

Yes...what happened to him? What happened to...the red bull guy, any of the cases at the special tourist courts, any of those charged with assaulting, stealing. Even the goat cheese shoplifter.We don't know because there is rarely if ever any coverage/reporting of proceedings following arrests

Yesterdays news is wrapping up today's fish and chips.

13 years ago, in Bangkok, a fellow teacher,Thai, was gunned down,at his front door, in front of his wife and children. He had been translating for an American business man who was taking a Thai power broker to court. He had been warned only the day before to lay off but he needed the income.There were 6 witnesses.The case never got to court and I still mourn his death as do his family.

The Red Bull guy, to all accounts, is holed up in a 6 star hotel hotel in Hong Kong,sound familiar ?

Why cant he be extradited back to Thailand and be accountable for his actions? Any lawyers out there?

Italian regulation ....

The last i read and listen from other sailing colleagues is that the trial was suspended as under Italian Regulations the ships owners is not oblige to deliver the "black case" to be presented as a proof in the trail.

What do you expect from an owner that contract Burmesse and Philippines people in order to pay them 300 USD / Month for working 25 of 24 hours of the day at sea caged in steel as general staff in their cruiser ships , most of their ships registered under flags like Bahamas , Marshall Islands , Liberia , etc... to avoid worlwide taxes ?

The other question is . Did you really think that a "simple Captain" ( in a owners fleet maganement is like that nowdays... ) will make their own decission to perform that risky manouver ? 99,9 % that was ordered . Even some histories tell that the Captain was not even on duty

Do we expect them to deliver the black case of the ships as a hard evidence if not compulsory requested ?can only go against their interes to sell more and more tickets for their anual voyages

PD: Uhmmm dam_n ....after reading all the post i realized that you where talking about an incident in Thailand not about the Costa one ..... Lol

Edited by Wavnarok

He was given 2 million THB in compensation for defamation.

If you are going to lay fault, make sure you have all the facts before pointing the finger

I dont know what happened... who does... and does it really matter in Thailand, when this childish crap still continues and those that are here to protect are useless at their jobs....

Its a country run and managed by wild animals.... Lord of the Flies comes to mind when looking at Thai politics and justice system

Time to turn the light out and go home methinks

Italian regulation ....

The last i read and listen from other sailing collegues is that the trial was suspended as under Italian Regulations the ships owners is not oblige to deliver the "black case" to be presented as a proof in the trail.

What do you expect from an owner that contract Burmesse and Philippines people in order to pay them 300 USD / Month for working 25 of 24 hours of the day at sea caged in steel as general staff in their cruiser ships , most of their ships registered under flags like Bahamas , Marshall Islands , Liberia , etc... to avoid worlwide taxes ?

The other question is . Did you really think that a "simple Captain" ( in a owners fleet maganement is like that nowdays... ) will make their own decission to perform that risky manouver ? 99,9 % that was ordered . Even some histories tell that the Captain was not even on duty

Do we expect them to deliver the black case of the ships as a hard evidence if not compulsory requested ?can only go against their interes to sell more and more tickets for their anual voyages

PD: Uhmmm dam_n ....after reading all the post i realized that you where talking about an incident in Thailand not about the Costa one ..... Lol

Go back to sleep.i

• Like 1

Italian regulation ....

The last i read and listen from other sailing collegues is that the trial was suspended as under Italian Regulations the ships owners is not oblige to deliver the "black case" to be presented as a proof in the trail.

Go back to sleep.i

I miss a thai lady nearby to sleep....... ! facepalm.gif

Sadly....experience doesn't count anymore....you can be a Captain in Thailand for a few dollars in the pockets of the shore based, so called Management...

That guy is most likely backing vessels under rigs by now....fully confident in the knowledge he cant be sacked.

I feel for the expats on rigs and platforms, that are daily placed in danger, and have no way of rectifying their situation...

By the way....Srilankins are the flavour now as they get $4 USD per day, with a 6month sign-on.....the rest goes to the agents ashore for parties like hiring the whole( yes the whole place) of Sentosa for the office staff to relax for a weekend......