BIB are having a hell of a great day

bubblegum

The two checkpoints I 'frequent' most often are in Thalang at Heroines monument and CherngTalay at the school. Both are stopping majority Thais (including my staff who had their licences confiscated last week for having no helmet)

It wouldn't/doesn't surprise me if in other areas with hoardes of tourist coming through they are targeted as a priority.

Same here Pete, I know quite a few Thai who get fined as well at the here mentioned checkpoint for driving without license or helmet (and they're dickheaded since they are doing the same thing over and over again). Some people just want to feel discriminated again, no matter what, and have a view of things happening around them that has hardly any connection with reality.

Could not agree more.

When I first got here I did not have a bike license, rode around and felt like king of the world. Got stopped twice and fined 300 each time. Went to get my Thai DL.

Always had a helmet and my bike was paid up and licensed.

Was stopped numerous times thereafter. Suprise Surprise never fined again! Not rocket science.

• Like 2

I do find it amusing that when the BIB's actually do their job and enforce the law it is always seen as a scam. As with every country I know the law says you need a license to drive a vehicle on the roads. How is Thailand some how different ?

Would a European going to America expect to be exempt from having a license to ride or drive there just because he was a tourist ?

sad.png

As a matter of fact, yes. Most countries, including Thailand, USA and UK allow tourists to drive for a certain amount of time using their home-country licence. Its just that if you wanna ride a bike you NEED to have a bike licence from your home country...

Its considered a scam when farangs are targeted and helmetless and underage thai riders just proceed through that same checkpoint.

Sorry to deflate your opinion but it's exactly as I seen it.

Farang stopped and Thais waved through.

Maybe a busy day for Farrangs but I have seen many a Thai stopped at the checkpoints. IMHO the BIB have been very equitable in their targeting. Thais are also quicker at seeing the checkpoint and changing direction, dumb-ass tourists just roll right in!!

Edited by LivinginKata
off topic comment removed - please do NOT feed our troll
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great corner for the bib. They knew Freebirds Mrs and were allowed to set up there, and now Gig's Mr bought that area so I'm sure the bib are still allowed carte blanche.

More reason to boycott the place.

Knights in shining armour facilitating the police always seems to be the norm here, lifts their connected in Thailand status.

Next we'll see the Bib down there wearing gigs jam pub polo shirts.

So what do you expect the owners there to do, refuse a request from the BIB and get hassled every day for licenses, sound, etc?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No. They have to facilitate them so the noise complaints aren't acted upon.

Already people are sick of the wailing repetitive crap that filters out of that place.

Get your facts straight before you troll Hans. The Freebird Bar and Gig's Jam Club are two separate premises, there's even another bar between the two.

Gig's place is usually closed when the bib are doing their thing at the intersection.

How do you know about noise complaints when no-one else is aware of them? Which place do people complain about? Who's complained?

Any chance of letting the rest of us know where your 'information' comes from?

I do find it amusing that when the BIB's actually do their job and enforce the law it is always seen as a scam. As with every country I know the law says you need a license to drive a vehicle on the roads. How is Thailand some how different ?

Would a European going to America expect to be exempt from having a license to ride or drive there just because he was a tourist ?

sad.png

Its considered a scam when farangs are targeted and helmetless and underage thai riders just proceed through that same checkpoint.

No, that is not the definition of a scam. On top of that, that is not what is happening at the check point.

Well you 'seen' it wrong Hans. I pass there every day and have seen many Thais being booked.

sad.png

No, that is not the definition of a scam. On top of that, that is not what is happening at the check point.

It's nothing but a win-win-win-lose money situation for those involved.

The rental shop wins when they rent tourists a motorbike.

The BiB win when they fine the tourist for not having a motorbike licence.

The tuk-tuk drivers win when the tourists hand back the bike and start using tuk-tuks. (many BiB own, or have an interest in a tuk-tuk/s)

Phuket loses when said tourists never come back here for a holiday again after beeing ripped off from all sides in relation to transport here.

Once again, only leaving only the cheap package holiday makers with their coach buses beng the predominant demographic of tourist here now, and into the future.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1