Feasability/issues linking 2 routers to use different 802.11 bands

topt

Before I go to the trouble of re-setting (or trying to smile.png ) my wireless network I just wanted to ask if this is feasible and if there are any potential issues I should be aware of.

We have assorted laptops and smart phones of which some can work on 802.11n but others are only able to work with 802.11b. I am currently using a TP Link wireless router connected to a True cable modem. This router can be switched to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz but not both at the same time so it is currently working on 2.4GHz. I have an older TP link wireless router that is N lite but backwards compatible to b/g.

So can I switch the main router to transmit in 5GHz, for those laptops that can receive it, and connect it by cable to the second router to transmit in 2.4Ghz?

If I can do this does it have to be in "bridge" mode or .....?

I am hoping to get the supposed benefits of 5GHz for those machines that can appreciate it whilst still being able to connect to the internet with the older slower machines via the other router.

The dual radio router is TP-Link TL-WR2543ND Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router. The other is TL- WR741ND

Thanks

Since 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz uses different bands, you can use this set up.

Home Network SSID Name and Home Network SSID Name (5G) should be sufficient.

Make sure both wireless routers operate in AP mode, providing only wireless access points to cable modem. Don't make double nat (router, different ip network) by mistake.

Since 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz uses different bands, you can use this set up.

Home Network SSID Name and Home Network SSID Name (5G) should be sufficient.

Make sure both wireless routers operate in AP mode, providing only wireless access points to cable modem. Don't make double nat (router, different ip network) by mistake.

Thanks - is my understanding correct that they should be in AP mode by default? I will check when I go to set it up