I need help finding a burmese housekeeper to come to Thailand

thesetat2013

You didn't state if your wife and or yourself are working?
If you both are then I guess that would be ok, or maybe you have 5 or 6 children to look after, again ok I guess.
But if your wife isn't working then it just sounds like more of a status symbol and a waste of money.
Does your wife have friends with rich Farang husband's who have hired maids?
Just be careful not to get caught up in trying to impress friends and family and if your wife is not working and you don't have a house full of kids tell her to get off her <snip> and do some housework or you will trade her in on better one that will :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but it sounds that you are looking to import a domestic slave, who has no social life or connection to the world, but live to serve you.

Anyone would be a runner, if you not treat them well.

If you have a better solution to find a reliable maid !

Life is unfair and some people will always be victim, do you think that you are able to change the world ? Ridiculous.

At least the OP will give a job to someone who needs it more than friends or a social life !

So many stupid comments by people who certainly never did anything to help anyone here...

I strongly disagree. The OPs insistence on someone without any reasonable social contacts is offensive and reeks of exploitation. One can certainly expect that the work gets done but anything else is not the employer's business.

Treat others like you would be treated is still valid.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but it sounds that you are looking to import a domestic slave, who has no social life or connection to the world, but live to serve you.

Anyone would be a runner, if you not treat them well.

If you have a better solution to find a reliable maid !

Life is unfair and some people will always be victim, do you think that you are able to change the world ? Ridiculous.

At least the OP will give a job to someone who needs it more than friends or a social life !

So many stupid comments by people who certainly never did anything to help anyone here...

I strongly disagree. The OPs insistence on someone without any reasonable social contacts is offensive and reeks of exploitation. One can certainly expect that the work gets done but anything else is not the employer's business.

Treat others like you would be treated is still valid.

so what u r saying is its better these people r better off to have no job?Umm r u aware that there is no social security in these countries.Its a no work no eat world for them.

Hmmmm.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As normal the best housekeeper is none. It is almost as much work messing with a housekeeper as it is doing the housework yourself in most cases. Also the wife staying busy is not a bad thing in many cases.

little do you know! coffee1.gif

You didn't state if your wife and or yourself are working?

If you both are then I guess that would be ok, or maybe you have 5 or 6 children to look after, again ok I guess.

But if your wife isn't working then it just sounds like more of a status symbol and a waste of money.

Does your wife have friends with rich Farang husband's who have hired maids?

Just be careful not to get caught up in trying to impress friends and family and if your wife is not working and you don't have a house full of kids tell her to get off her <snip> and do some housework or you will trade her in on better one that will :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

another silly post from somebody who possesses a wealth of no idea concerning domestic staff dry.png

It is against the law to bring a maid from burma. I thought the forum had rules about illegal requests.

The OP asked for advice about whether it was possible to do, this was hardly a post about illegal requests

it is neither against the law nor is the claim of another poster valid that Burmese staff does not speak English. especially those of Indian and/or Nepali ethnicity speak a passable English.

obtaining a work and residence permit (validity TWO YEARS, no 90 days reporting required!) for Burmese staff is much easier than getting a work permit for a Farang.

having said so, i do not condone the OP's idea of "segregation". meeting friends, or in many cases relatives, during the off days should be accepted without any limitations!

It is against the law to bring a maid from burma. I thought the forum had rules about illegal requests.

The OP asked for advice about whether it was possible to do, this was hardly a post about illegal requests

it is neither against the law nor is the claim of another poster valid that Burmese staff does not speak English. especially those of Indian and/or Nepali ethnicity speak a passable English.

obtaining a work and residence permit (validity TWO YEARS, no 90 days reporting required!) for Burmese staff is much easier than getting a work permit for a Farang.

having said so, i do not condone the OP's idea of "segregation". meeting friends, or in many cases relatives, during the off days should be accepted without any limitations!

I understand that currently applies to Burmese allready in the country. If I am wrong I am sure you will tell me. smile.png

I have a housekeeper and 9 Thai staff. All are hard working, reliable, show honesty and do a better job than my Aussie staff. I find the OP post off putting.

I would say the onus is on the employer and you reap what you sow.... In most cases

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I understand that currently applies to Burmese allready in the country. If I am wrong I am sure you will tell me. smile.png

hardly anybody "brings" Burmese staff to Thailand. in 90% of the cases they "bring" themselves. and yes, of course it is required for any person to be in the country in order to apply and obtain a work/residence permit.

hardly anybody "brings" Burmese staff to Thailand. in 90% of the cases they "bring" themselves. and yes, of course it is required for any person to be in the country in order to apply and obtain a work/residence permit.

And the op wished to bring someone diirect from Burma. In view of the living conditions proposed this came very close to the UN definition of Human Trafficking which I am sure you agree is not legal.

My wife and i are looking for a housekeeper that is not already in thailand. We dont want someone who is here already with many friends.

And the op wished to bring someone diirect from Burma. In view of the living conditions proposed this came very close to the UN definition of Human Trafficking which I am sure you agree is not legal.

i'm not familiar with UN definitions but i know that Thailand's law enforcement doesn't give a sh** applying these definitions. i also know that the OP's request "not too many friends in Thailand" is not illegal as long as he pays a fair salary appropriate to the working hours, provides proper accomodation as well as food and medical care and of course granting "off days" without any restrictions, e.g. meeting friends, attached.

unfortunately the above-mentioned conditions are not enjoyed by hundreds of thousands Burmese, Laotions and Cambodians who work in Thailand and are merciless exploited bah.gif

Kind of on topic:-

Hong Kong has received its first official group of maids from Myanmar since policy concessions were implemented to allow citizens to work abroad as domestic helpers.

An initial group of 19 women -- drawn from around 200 expected over the next three months -- arrived in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory, said the agency which arranged their employment.

They are the first group legally in Hong Kong following a change last year to Myanmar's migration law as the nation opens up.

The article continues here:- http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/national-news/9693-hong-kong-receives-first-legal-batch-of-myanmar-maids.html

As a victim I totally understand OP's point. As a parent, we don't want to leave our child/baby who has no responsibility. Accident rate will def increase if they are talking over the phone and taking care the child at the same time.

I think wising an employee not talking over the phone while working is not too demanding; do you wish the doctor who is consulting you talk over the phone?

I recently hired a Thai helper with 12000B per month incl. agent fee, that

Just found mistake in my previous post.....continue

When we interviewed that Thai helper she said ok with everything, but ended up she couldn't do many things and always can't remember some simply stuff. Once I just away for 1.5 hour and she had to feed my child lunch, when I returned founded out she didn't feed her at all, just simply said "she didn't want to eat!" Finally we fired her, and we found out from another helper that she took my child's expensive food which she is not supposed to eat. (We provided sufficient food for her separately)

I had experience in a country where has good domestic helper employment protection law, I often hear the protection law was abused by the helpers and used for taking advantage from the employer. I hired one Filipino helper when I was pregnant, we gave her flight tickets to visit home during Xmas as a gift and she got pregnant in return as a gift for us, then she became lazy and always talked over phone even when taking care of my older kid. Always came home late from holiday because of party all the times. Housework obviously were not done well ......we couldn't fired her due to the law.....as an employer we wanted to pay for someone who is trust worthy and to help us to do the job scope that we need.....imagine a boss in any companies also can't accept such an employee's attitudes.

Needless to say a lot of helper's integrity and honesty were bad from the news.

The OP just worries about these kind of situations I believe.

I have a housekeeper and 9 Thai staff. All are hard working, reliable, show honesty and do a better job than my Aussie staff. I find the OP post off putting.

I would say the onus is on the employer and you reap what you sow.... In most cases

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

You are a very lucky guy ! More lucky than 90% of the people who employ Thai, Myanmar and Cambodia staff...

bullshit, if you ask me, anyone is free to work anywhere

Actually, no, it's not. The Philippines, for one, has a system of licensing employment agencies and overseas workers. A government agency (POEA) verifies that overseas employment opportunities are legitimate and that workers leaving for overseas employment are not being trafficked for other purposes. A Filipino worker leaving for employment requires an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). Filipinos leaving the country without an OEC can be stopped by Philippines Immigration and denied boarding if they can't produce compelling evidence that they are travelling as tourists. Young, single women with only basic education are particularly likely to be subject to "secondary inspection" (yes, that's the term they use) for obvious reasons. You can Google for the hundreds of instances where "gentlemen of leisure" have tried to take their Filipina girlfriends out of the PI for a holiday, only to have them stopped at Immigration and turned back.

Given the number of overseas Thai workers who end up mistreated, ripped-off or in situations pretty close to indentured servitude, the Thai government might want to consider a similar system. Unfortunately, there is always a minority who is happy and willing to take advantage of the desperate.

Great post.

There is a similar system in Thailand. Unfortunately it is geared to a collobaration between the agencies and politicians controlling the Labour Ministry to extract huge job-finding fees from the workers which are then slowly deducted from the worker's wages. It is truly shameful.

bullshit, if you ask me, anyone is free to work anywhere

Actually, no, it's not. The Philippines, for one, has a system of licensing employment agencies and overseas workers. A government agency (POEA) verifies that overseas employment opportunities are legitimate and that workers leaving for overseas employment are not being trafficked for other purposes. A Filipino worker leaving for employment requires an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). Filipinos leaving the country without an OEC can be stopped by Philippines Immigration and denied boarding if they can't produce compelling evidence that they are travelling as tourists. Young, single women with only basic education are particularly likely to be subject to "secondary inspection" (yes, that's the term they use) for obvious reasons. You can Google for the hundreds of instances where "gentlemen of leisure" have tried to take their Filipina girlfriends out of the PI for a holiday, only to have them stopped at Immigration and turned back.

Given the number of overseas Thai workers who end up mistreated, ripped-off or in situations pretty close to indentured servitude, the Thai government might want to consider a similar system. Unfortunately, there is always a minority who is happy and willing to take advantage of the desperate.

Great post.

There is a similar system in Thailand. Unfortunately it is geared to a collobaration between the agencies and politicians controlling the Labour Ministry to extract huge job-finding fees from the workers which are then slowly deducted from the worker's wages. It is truly shameful.

what you say is true but......some money for them is far better than none.These people dont have the luxury of choice.Work and eat or no work no eat

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

You are a very lucky guy ! More lucky than 90% of the people who employ Thai, Myanmar and Cambodia staff...

Thank you but I put it down to a few simle things, Training, Teaching, Interest (make the job intersting as much as possible) understanding (for times they need to atttend to personal life situations as we all do), Reward (not slave labour rates) ZFree time, (give them a break like 2 days off with payment allowing for this)

I pay on average 15000 baht per month and I get HEAPS more from them than when I saw them at work where they were before I got them.

To the OP make sure you train and teach and SHOW them what you want

its called an L-A visa and as stated is valid for 2 years but u do need do 90 day reports. Am in the pricess now getting one for my Cambodian friend.

NOt really any easier but it is cheaper ( same amount of paper work) unless ur getting the visa for someone that will work for an individual not business

• 10 months later...

Thanks thailandbeachisland! So many idiotic replies and not 1 helpful. You idiots dont read thai news so much to know there are so many BAD nannies here both thai and burmese. I never stated i would lock her in house and keep her from being social. You guys should learn to read. What i did say was that i did not want someone who would spend their day socializing while alone. Would you want to come home to a shitty diaper and hungry baby with a dirty house simply because your housekeeper got caught up in conversation with friends. Also you idiots out there. Dont you think that if i import a housekeeper that she would be introduced to reaponsible people who guide her. I am no slave trader and you are a-holes to suggest it.perhaps that is your limited ideals and values for the people you know already. When i do find a housekeeper she would be treated as family. Get your heads out of the gutter. You are the only ones living there in this post. Now if anyone can really help me i would appreciate it. I am a teacher and my wife works for a thai ministry. She is 7months pregnant already and will need help in the house soon. Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this discussion is very funny. a teacher in myanmar gets 100 dollars a month .if a non-educated myanmar girl gets 200 dollar, free food and accomodation, at the end of the year she can visit her family with 2000 dollars in her pocket, thats like winning the lottery .in myanmar she even can build her own house with that big money. a teacher needs 10 years to save that money,if ever. best advise, in my eyes is, just ask some myanmar girls, working already some years in your neighbourhood, as hotel-cleaners,or in restaurants, they all have relatives eager to go to thailand.

Thanks thailandbeachisland! So many idiotic replies and not 1 helpful. You idiots dont read thai news so much to know there are so many BAD nannies here both thai and burmese. I never stated i would lock her in house and keep her from being social. You guys should learn to read. What i did say was that i did not want someone who would spend their day socializing while alone. Would you want to come home to a shitty diaper and hungry baby with a dirty house simply because your housekeeper got caught up in conversation with friends. Also you idiots out there. Dont you think that if i import a housekeeper that she would be introduced to reaponsible people who guide her. I am no slave trader and you are a-holes to suggest it.perhaps that is your limited ideals and values for the people you know already. When i do find a housekeeper she would be treated as family. Get your heads out of the gutter. You are the only ones living there in this post. Now if anyone can really help me i would appreciate it. I am a teacher and my wife works for a thai ministry. She is 7months pregnant already and will need help in the house soon. Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this discussion is very funny. a teacher in myanmar gets 100 dollars a month .if a non-educated myanmar girl gets 200 dollar, free food and accomodation, at the end of the year she can visit her family with 2000 dollars in her pocket, thats like winning the lottery .in myanmar she even can build her own house with that big money. a teacher needs 10 years to save that money,if ever. best advise, in my eyes is, just ask some myanmar girls, working already some years in your neighbourhood, as hotel-cleaners,or in restaurants, they all have relatives eager to go to thailand.

hehee in the time I posted this I still have yet to find a housekeeper.

I even tried with some Thais locally and out o the 4 I tried every one o them were lazy, irresponsible, and tried to (sweep things under the carpet) rather than actually doing the job decently. So now my wife is due in a month and still I am looking for a housekeeper.

• 2 months later...

I had the pleasure to have Birmese housekeepers for 6 years, always via their networks in ChiangMai. PM me if you still need one I'm intimate with the Burmese/refugee communities in ChiangMai. Great people! had Thais a few times but completely worthless and irresponsible.

The Philippines have already stopped sending domestic staff abroad. Indonesia will do so in the near future. Myanmar, and other countries, such as Cambodia and Bangladesh, may fill the void temporarily

Last but not least, you will not get a housekeeper straight from Myanmar through legal channels, because the Myanmar government allows for domestic staff to be sent to only to Singapore or Hong Kong.

Nice post, but my question is more of a general one,

How can a country make a law that limits and dictates where a person goes and works? If a person can get a visa to travel and or work abroad, what does a persons Government have to do with this? I have been based in 13 countries while working mainly for multi-nationals, you re inferring that a Gov has the right to tell me where I can go in the world and what I do there or in this case citizens of these countries. In the majority of the countries I have worked in, the same employer, employed Phillipino's. Everyone of them was making over $100,000 USD after tax. I do not believe for one min that their Gov had any influence what so ever on their employment.

Can you please further explain how this works?

It has something to do with a military junta running the country. Hard to argue with them.

• 3 months later...

I had the pleasure to have Birmese housekeepers for 6 years, always via their networks in ChiangMai. PM me if you still need one I'm intimate with the Burmese/refugee communities in ChiangMai. Great people! had Thais a few times but completely worthless and irresponsible.

I don't know how to send a PM on here, but I'd be interested in hearing of your CM contacts.

We have a small restaurant and are looking to recruit Burmese staff in Chiang Mai.

Archived