Bangkok-Butterworth express train derails at Nakhon Si Thammarat

webfact

Express train derails again in South

butterworth-train-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok-Butterworth express train derailed early this morning in Ron Phiboon district of Nakhon Si Thammarat but caused no injury.

The incident happened at 04.55 a.m. today on the southern route from Chong Khao railway station to Ron Phiboon station.

One bogie of the express train from Bangkok to Malaysia’s Butterworth station ran out of the track forcing the train to stop.

The derailment stranded several hundreds of passengers on two other trains at Thung Song station, awaiting the derailed bogie to be removed from the track.

State Railway of Thailand spokesperson Mrs Nualanong Wongchan said no passenger was injured and railway workers are working to drag the derailed bogie from the track.

She said the Bangkok-Butterworth express train was later allowed to proceed on the journey when the derailed bogie was removed from the train.

But she said affected trains were the No. 37 express train from Bangkok to Sungai Kolok and No. 169 rapid train from Bangkok to Yala. Passengers on the two trains have to be transferred by buses from Thung Song to Hat Yai to continue to their destinations by trains.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/express-train-derails-south/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-10

It would never do if it was the Orient Express-BKK to Singapore, it needs a train to test the track prior to it setting off. same HRH Queen Elizabeth has her food sampled before she eats.

Never heard anything about the O/Ex, wonder if it still runs this route.

Well that's just great isn't it. Brother and his family really want to come to Samui for Songkran but the flight costs for 4 people BKK - USM are very high. Just last night I suggested maybe heading down on the train as most of the derailments are in the north. Now this news.

What amazes me (thankfully) is how so few, if any, people are injured.

It would never do if it was the Orient Express-BKK to Singapore, it needs a train to test the track prior to it setting off. same HRH Queen Elizabeth has her food sampled before she eats.

Wrong I'm afraid. I was on the E&OE from Bangkok to Singapore in December 2000 and it did indeed fall off the rails just short of Butterworth, A few people had minor bruising but there were no serious injuries. The O&EO put us up in the Shangi-La in Penang overnight and flew us down to Singapore the next day.

As far as I know, the service still runs.

DM

• Like 1

Wrong I'm afraid. I was on the E&OE from Bangkok to Singapore in December 2000 and it did indeed fall off the rails just short of Butterworth, A few people had minor bruising but there were no serious injuries. The O&EO put us up in the Shangi-La in Penang overnight and flew us down to Singapore the next day.

As far as I know, the service still runs.

DM

Brill -thanks for reply, I forgot to put a smiley at the end of "it needs a train to test the track". I went on the one from Victoria station London, super service.

3 journey's at the time Orient Express--QE2--Concord. the bees knees, if any other poster did this.

Needed in Thailand is not this narrow gauge track, replace with standard-----twin tracks---125 style as in UK. high enough speeds up to 200 kph No bullet style needed. My Idea for Thai rail, after 20 years, replace then with whatever, no track change needed.

Come on Thailand, sort this out. saai.gif

You have elevated and subway mass transit systems in the capital, several international airports, a 3G network and talk of nuclear power stations, bolstered by a freakin' antiquated one-line rail 'network'. It can't be brushed under the carpet, everyone can see it. You're not third world any more, are you?

Edited by jackr

This is just bound to happen more and more. Those trains fly but it is obvious from the creaking and shaking that the rail is not well done. They could put copying skills to use and emulate the well run train systems in Japan. S Korea and China have already followed the Japs and have reliable trains. The ones in Thailand are like a Wild West saloon, or like Casey Jones if u know the song.

"Trouble ahead, trouble behind/And you know that notion just crossed my mind."

They need to update the tracks and the trains, BUT in the meantime, could they please just change the names of the trains!

I mean... Express and Rapid?... a decent cyclist could do these journeys in about the same time.

I'm sure we could think of a few more appropriate adjectives.