Land purchased with falang and Thai wife?

aussieinthailand

There are always farangs trying to gain land, real estate and other footholds in Thailand by using back door methods or searching for loop holes in the laws.

The facts are that purchasing real estate and lands using underhanded methods is taking a huge gamble.

All may run smooth and perhaps no one will notice until unexpected events start to happen, such as, the Thai wife finds greener pastures elsewhere and decides to leave or she dies, the farang has disputes with neighbors, the farang for whatever reasons gets involved with the police and they decide to investigate, or any manner of problems could bring these shady land ownerships to the attention of the authorities or others including the wife`s family members or even a new Thai boyfriend if one appears on the scene.

In answer to the OP`s questions, you throw your money into the purchasing of land using a Thai to front the ownership at your own risk and discretion and if in the future the crap does hit the fan, there are no laws to protect you and no one will have any sympathy except perhaps to say; I told you so.

I would never invest into something based entirely on trust or on a hope and and prayer that the worst won`t happen, playing those games are for idiots.

Good luck to all who sail in her.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the advice cheers,

My wife and I are quite happy together, so it's not a devoice thing, Just like I said just trying to protect assets from the long lost Thai uncle/aunty,

this goes for family home as well as business we have here.

Please do not take this the wrong way but I am curious as to how a long lost relative could obtain any of your assets without your wife knowing or helping? As you state you are happy so really no need to go to extreme measures to protect something your wife is willing to protect.

Just curious as I have a wife and children here, 2 homes, vehicles bla bla bla and have never considered this. So I am curious as to how extended family could obtain your assets?

Plenty of helpful advice here thanks:thumbsup:

My wife and I do not have kids at the moment so assets in kids name not an option at the moment, and not so many years age between us.

I was just wondering if something like an accident (heaven forbid) and I was left alone with house and (business in her name) but acquired after marriage.

house and land not yet established but will happen soon so again acquired during marriage, hens my question is the so-called document singing stating that I would have no claim on the land therefor not entitled to 50% of that asset? is it a true and real legally binding document? and can it be contested?

Marriage law trumps all other Thai law.

In the event a lady (or her inheritor) claims the assets to be solely hers, they will be required to provide the money trail in court. Failure to do so will result in a declaration the they are joint assets.

Make the money trail clear, pay for everything from your bank account to the various sellers yourself.

Never give her cash to pay for items, pay yourself, sign the receipts yourself.

The banks won't like it, but they will accept it.

Just bought a house using a bank loan in her name.

Deposit paid by me to developer, my name of the receipt (developer tried to avoid that, but I wouldn't hand over the money).

Monthly home loan repayments, all made by me, in the bank, my account to loan account, my signature on every receipt.

All documents scanned and stored on a cloud that only I can access.

Get her to make a will at the Amphur office leaving everything to you (30bht) and naming you as executor of estate.

Nothing in Thai law to stop a foreigner inheriting, and a will stops any split with relatives.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Yu'p thanks guys for your advice, I guess I should clarify a little more,

what I mean is the so called document an ex-pat is required to sign stating I have no claim on any land purchased as I did not provide money for the purchase, therefor side stepping the 50% married couple assets laws, and if so can it be contested if need be?

If for instance my wife died or was incapacitated from illness or accident would a family home and business be awarded to me the husband and I can sell as I see fit or keep or 50% given to relative's (long lost uncle/aunty) We don't have kids so that option of assets in kids name is not possible at the moment.

My wife is an educated woman and enjoys achieving her goals under her own steam so not a gold digger, and she putts money in my wallet rather than taking it out.

The protection you are looking for is called a will. The long lost relatives have no claim to the estate when there is a properly done will. You can inherit the land, but you may be forced to sell it and keep the proceeds.

Just visited the Issan lawyers web address and It seems that the usufruct may be the better way to as it is not limited to 30 years maximum, a usufruct can be valid for lifetime so good news on that front, BUT still not sure about the so-called document stating that I would have no claim on the ownership of any purchased land? so thanks again cheersdrunk.gif

Dream on.

a) A loan, when granted by a Farang and can be brought into connection with any sort of land-purchase is nil and void to start with. === Foreign money can not buy Thai-Land, no matter how it' s "camouflaged". Period.

B) Farang making repayments? By doing this, every apprentice in any law firm will immediately see the connection.

c) Is a loan granted to wife a mutual marital asset???

Cheers.

Usufruct is the way to go Land in the misses name Build something on it with your name that way either will require both parties agreement, yes? "keyboard warrior" was here!

OK so land in wives name and house in your name. She say no longer in love go away and take house with you.

So you say OK I come take house piece by piece, she say you not cross my land to get to house and all my

family agree.

Buy an apartment or rent. Thousands of farangs by houses for Thai wife and family every year. Love go away

when house paid for.

The other point is that Farang can only have 49% of company and if it is limited ALL the Thai directors

have to have access to bank account.

If not limited Farang responsible for everything Thai partner commits to.

Thanks for the advice cheers,

My wife and I are quite happy together, so it's not a devoice thing, Just like I said just trying to protect assets from the long lost Thai uncle/aunty,

this goes for family home as well as business we have here.

Please do not take this the wrong way but I am curious as to how a long lost relative could obtain any of your assets without your wife knowing or helping? As you state you are happy so really no need to go to extreme measures to protect something your wife is willing to protect.

Just curious as I have a wife and children here, 2 homes, vehicles bla bla bla and have never considered this. So I am curious as to how extended family could obtain your assets?

Plenty of helpful advice here thanks:thumbsup:

My wife and I do not have kids at the moment so assets in kids name not an option at the moment, and not so many years age between us.

I was just wondering if something like an accident (heaven forbid) and I was left alone with house and (business in her name) but acquired after marriage.

house and land not yet established but will happen soon so again acquired during marriage, hens my question is the so-called document singing stating that I would have no claim on the land therefor not entitled to 50% of that asset? is it a true and real legally binding document? and can it be contested?

Marriage law trumps all other Thai law.

In the event a lady (or her inheritor) claims the assets to be solely hers, they will be required to provide the money trail in court. Failure to do so will result in a declaration the they are joint assets.

Make the money trail clear, pay for everything from your bank account to the various sellers yourself.

Never give her cash to pay for items, pay yourself, sign the receipts yourself.

The banks won't like it, but they will accept it.

Just bought a house using a bank loan in her name.

Deposit paid by me to developer, my name of the receipt (developer tried to avoid that, but I wouldn't hand over the money).

Monthly home loan repayments, all made by me, in the bank, my account to loan account, my signature on every receipt.

All documents scanned and stored on a cloud that only I can access.

Get her to make a will at the Amphur office leaving everything to you (30bht) and naming you as executor of estate.

Nothing in Thai law to stop a foreigner inheriting, and a will stops any split with relatives.

Anyone who believes all this is living under a delusion.

A beneficiary of a will cannot make claim to anything left in the will that they are not legally entitled to own. The fact is that under the law the said purchase has to be financed 100% with the Thai wife’s money, no matter how one tries to disguise the fact by pretending the wife is paying for the land by taking out a bank loan in her name but the instalments are actually being paid by her farang husband.

If you analyse your situation you still legally own nothing and the same applies as I have made clear in my previous post.

OK fellas.....this is how it is. If your Thai "wife" is from the hills, is 30 years your junior, and can only say "I like strawberrreiiieeeeeeeeeeee" you can bet your knickers she's with you for one reason and one reason only. How many Thai girls really want to have a 300 pound falang huffing and puffing away like some castrated bull in their beds....it's all about the moneeeeeee. WHAT, NOT ME say you?! .....right.

Disgusting, But nevertheless you are right.

IT IS AND REMAINS ABOUT THE MONEEEEEE...................

Counter arguments usually start with "MY wife is different.................................." cheesy.gif

Cheers.

Thai law will never, under any circumstances, settle in your favour against a Thai national. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either deluded or trying to con you. Forget any idea of legal protection, because in Thailand you have none.

That's not true,i know 2 blokes who have had a substatial payout from Lurk,lawyer cost a motsa though.

buy using a home loan in her name.

minimum deposit, minimum repayments, maximum term.

then she needs you.

ps

you make the repayments, from your bank direct to loan bank.

let her, subsequently, try to prove in court it isn't marital property.

What an excellent idea.

My friend bought a small house in a remote village with his long term girlfriend who loved him long time,

Now she has gone mental, continually get's drunk comes home late and throws a tantrum, breaking things waving items around and smashing things, he has got really scared about this lady, talk about domestic violence, no one ever talks about the guys being violated, only the women, he is now considering leaving the house but stands to lose 1 million baht that he will never get back,, He was a bit of a show off paying for the house in cash one time

NOW

a loan sounds very good indeed, he would have only lost the small amount for the time he lived there, only been 3 months,

Most people buy land or house by creating dummy company. But the problem is if in future the government change some laws and ask you what you actually been doing with this company, how much your earned or lost etc. Then you have no reply and they may be able to cancel everything and you loose your money. I know a friend who bought a house in his girl friend name, but he took lots of loan on her name and the payment is for a long time. So she always need him to pay the bill. Be smart

OK fellas.....this is how it is. If your Thai "wife" is from the hills, is 30 years your junior, and can only say "I like strawberrreiiieeeeeeeeeeee" you can bet your knickers she's with you for one reason and one reason only. How many Thai girls really want to have a 300 pound falang huffing and puffing away like some castrated bull in their beds....it's all about the moneeeeeee. WHAT, NOT ME say you?! .....right.

Counter arguments usually start with "MY wife is different.................................." cheesy.gif

Cheers.

You're wrong,

My wife isn't different, but I am.

I'm slim, athletic and very hansum, and so are all my pals.

The only time I'm huffing and puffing is when running up the mountain.

(No puffing at all when I run down)

Ther's no law stating foreigners have to be fat, bald, smelly or ugly.

Dream on.

a) A loan, when granted by a Farang and can be brought into connection with any sort of land-purchase is nil and void to start with. === Foreign money can not buy Thai-Land, no matter how it' s "camouflaged". Period.

You're right, dream on.

A loan granted by a farang to a Thai can be registered at the land department and will be mentioned on the back of the title deed. So why would it be nil and void ?

Foreigners are allowed to loan to Thai citizens. When the foreigner dies before the loan is paid back it goes over to his heirs .

if wife insists about having a HOUSE. It really is about the MONEY!

It's really that simple, (especially if you have only known them a few years, plus met in a bar)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

UK wife, we bought a house after 2 years.

Thai wife, we bought a house after 3 years.

As far as I remember if you didn't buy your woman a house they left you to find someone who would.

What country you lived in didn't seem to matter.

• Like 2

Dream on.

cool.png Farang making repayments? By doing this, every apprentice in any law firm will immediately see the connection.

c) Is a loan granted to wife a mutual marital asset???

Cheers.

So how did I get a mortgage last year?

Cheers.

You're wrong,

My wife isn't different, but I am.

I'm slim, athletic and very hansum, and so are all my pals.

The only time I'm huffing and puffing is when running up the mountain.

(No puffing at all when I run down)

Ther's no law stating foreigners have to be fat, bald, smelly or ugly.

but my wife is different....

she already owned a house (mortgage free) and land before we were married.

I thought foreigner's could get land if it was willed to them and not greater than 1 rai.

It's really that simple, (especially if you have only known them a few years, plus met in a bar)

As far as I remember if you didn't buy your woman a house they left you to find someone who would.

actually if the house and land are in issan or ne thailand it REALLY DOES matter. its an epidemic there.

An 'epidemic' driven by foreign idiots who should know better. If you can't find a partner in your own country why come here and moan about the rules and regulations intended to favour Thai nationals. If you don't like it go home.

Here`s why:

And as soon as they land in the LOS the lure of all that female flesh drives them into a frenzy of lust, their brains fall into their trousers and become part of the <deleted> or bust brigade, could be described as kamikaze romantics living in a dream Wonderland

post-110219-0-07358500-1389473674_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

buy using a home loan in her name.

minimum deposit, minimum repayments, maximum term.

then she needs you.

ps

you make the repayments, from your bank direct to loan bank.

let her, subsequently, try to prove in court it isn't marital property.

This is a good idea, with the exception that you should not expect to get anything back - as long as you consider it a gift at the time, each time you make a payment you are getting good value for money from your teerak, then all's fine and good.

If (when) it's time to walk away then the loan's her problem, but if there is any equity it's hers and hers alone.

My friend bought a small house in a remote village with his long term girlfriend who loved him long time,

Now she has gone mental, continually get's drunk comes home late and throws a tantrum, breaking things waving items around and smashing things, he has got really scared about this lady, talk about domestic violence, no one ever talks about the guys being violated, only the women, he is now considering leaving the house but stands to lose 1 million baht that he will never get back,, He was a bit of a show off paying for the house in cash one time

NOW

a loan sounds very good indeed, he would have only lost the small amount for the time he lived there, only been 3 months,

No, he doesn't "stand to lose 1 million" IF he walks away, he lost it the moment he paid for the property.

Now he's just throwing his time/life away, tell him to cut his losses and go. It's pretty certain that's why she's acting the way she is.

Most people buy land or house by creating dummy company. But the problem is if in future the government change some laws and ask you what you actually been doing with this company, how much your earned or lost etc. Then you have no reply and they may be able to cancel everything and you loose your money.

No, the CURRENT laws are set up to prevent this. Lots of agents, lawyers etc will tell you it's OK but no it's not, unless you are in the BUSINESS of developing real estate and can afford to put 10-20% of your millions into expensive internationally qualified trustworthy attorneys it's a fools game.

Bottom line - rent where you live. Give the SO cash gifts/bonuses whatever you want to call them, but know they aren't investments you won't see it again, let it go when you give it so no surprises down the road.

Or rather if you do every see any of the money again (I admit it happens, single digit percentages) then it's a PLEASANT surprise.

buying a house for wife in essarn is same same renting anyways. Either way you money is an expense, highly unlike you will get money back. only thing is when you buy its like paying 10-15 years of rent upfront................lol.

Really. who wants to own property 50-50 with the wifes relatives anyway.

actually if the house and land are in issan or ne thailand it REALLY DOES matter. its an epidemic there.
I just bought a house in Issarn 13 years after being married and my wife never left me to find someone to build her a house earlier. Wish we'd done it earlier as would have saved a heap not paying rent. Also, 10 years ago my house would have been about 30 % of what I paid for it.

I just bought a house in Issarn 13 years after being married and my wife never left me to find someone to build her a house earlier. Wish we'd done it earlier as would have saved a heap not paying rent. Also, 10 years ago my house would have been about 30 % of what I paid for it.

Nope, it's AFTER you buy it she can leave you!

(sorry couldn't resist 8-)

So have you taken any steps to prevent her being able to kick you out and keep it all?

Nope, it's AFTER you buy it she can leave you!

(sorry couldn't resist 8-)

So have you taken any steps to prevent her being able to kick you out and keep it all?

No, it would be worth it to get rid of her!

Seriously, I think I know someone after 13 years living with them. I have the mortgage so she won't be able to kick me out until I'm 60 years old.

You not getting it. For you building the house is an expense-you will not get your money back. Your wifes family will see it.

Nothing wrong with building your wifes estate. It s just the song and dance guys go through trying to protect their interests.

Say your wife wills you her 50 % and she dies first. You got a useless house. Hooray i got a village house with a whole lot of villagers..................lol. You might as well be on Gilligans island with $1,000,000 of useless dollars.

do a balance sheet.

husband - cost to build $50,000 asset- pretty much worthless

wife no expense or liability asset-$50,000 house.

i can see why so many wives want houses.................lol.

I see you bought and didnt buy. Any reason for that anomaly.......................lol. Anyways im sure theres a lot of success stories in the village or else why would guys keep trying..............lol.

Edited by oogster8

Seriously, I think I know someone after 13 years living with them. I have the mortgage so she won't be able to kick me out until I'm 60 years old.

Seriously, I thought I knew my first wife after almost 30 years, I didn't know her and in the end she tried to harm me in any way she could.

I'm not bitter, but was and am still surprised.

My second wife, I'll be 84 before the home loan ends.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1