"Furnished" condos for sale - Do they see it as a sweetener or saleable asset?

Most if not all condo's I see are full of worthless crappy furniture.

My thinking is, if you want to leave the furniture, you pay me a removal fee, I certainly do not want the stuff.

Seems shophoses "townhomes" tend to have even crappier furniture.

Anyone purchase a condo and not want the junk inside? How did it all work out?

Will probably depend on the age of the condo and how the furnishing suits your taste.

All the 5 condos that I have bought were furnished, 2 units were over 25 years old, and the other 3 over 15 years old. I asked the seller to remove all movables after we have agreed on the price for the condo, even the fridge and TV.

I would already have a budget for refurbishment when I negotiate the price, and any removing of built-in furniture, old air-cons, would be gladly done by my contractor with no extra charge.

I think of furniture as something that is just not worth it to skimp on, and I agree with op in that Thais seem to think it is perfectly reasonable. It kinda reminds me of buying a "cheap" pair of shoes - you aren't really saving money.

As mentioned, I would just use it as a good negotiating device. You could say something like "I may pay close to this or that price if the furniture was quality, but this stuff I will have to remove and.....". The stuff is just beyond crap, I know.

The trouble is that most Thais tend to think that their junk furniture is a thing of beauty.

We looked at a house recently where the owner told us delightedly that he had a house for sale in a nice part of CM.

He described it as big and spacious with a great garden and close to everything.

The way he described it I was expecting to see a brand new house with mod cons and manicured garden.

When we arrived it was about 10 to 15 years old. Had been empty for a year, the garden full of meter high weeds and the inside full of cobwebs, dirt, some rising damp, flaking paint, missing hot water units in showers,.. and the kitchen which he said he'd had specially put in was an empty add on room at the back with no benches and just a tap sticking out of the wall. It was 12kmlm to the nearest shopping center and about 3klms off the beaten track.

Here's the thing though,.. after showing us around it with a delighted look on his face he turned to my wife and said "Suay Mai?" (beautiful yes?) at which I was almost flabbergasted. He truly thought he was showing us something that we'd be falling in love with at first sight.

It had potential but realistically he was asking at least 700,000 baht more than it was worth given all the work that needed doing but try telling him that!

I wouldn't in a pink fit attempt to ever show a property like that and expect a favorable result.

Goodness only know how their minds work with such things!

• Like 2

The trouble is that most Thais tend to think that their junk furniture is a thing of beauty.

We looked at a house recently where the owner told us delightedly that he had a house for sale in a nice part of CM.

He described it as big and spacious with a great garden and close to everything.

The way he described it I was expecting to see a brand new house with mod cons and manicured garden.

When we arrived it was about 10 to 15 years old. Had been empty for a year, the garden full of meter high weeds and the inside full of cobwebs, dirt, some rising damp, flaking paint, missing hot water units in showers,.. and the kitchen which he said he'd had specially put in was an empty add on room at the back with no benches and just a tap sticking out of the wall. It was 12kmlm to the nearest shopping center and about 3klms off the beaten track.

Here's the thing though,.. after showing us around it with a delighted look on his face he turned to my wife and said "Suay Mai?" (beautiful yes?) at which I was almost flabbergasted. He truly thought he was showing us something that we'd be falling in love with at first sight.

It had potential but realistically he was asking at least 700,000 baht more than it was worth given all the work that needed doing but try telling him that!

I wouldn't in a pink fit attempt to ever show a property like that and expect a favorable result.

You were wearing red lenses while the owner was weaing blue ones.

I bought this furnished condo of 121 sqm in 2006

"Suay mai?"

post-77843-0-53089400-1389438053_thumb.j

Edited by trogers

Bought a small house on a golf course, it was full of junk furniture including paintings and silverware. I gave that to the installs so they can never say I never gave them anything........rolleyes.gif

Bought a small house on a golf course, it was full of junk furniture including paintings and silverware. I gave that to the installs so they can never say I never gave them anything........rolleyes.gif

You are generous, indeed.

"Installs": would that be the in-laws that are nesting out back in your barn?

Now that they have their treasure, perhaps Falangadang will help you upgrade them to that add on room with the tap. I've seen a few of those myself.

Ditto on all of the above. Most condo's are sold semi-furnished. IMO, the furniture is an opportunity to negotiate the price down - even if you'd really rather have it (e.g., for a quicker rent). In-built furniture that is still in decent shape, but the cheap quality stuff common here, is a bitch. No one will take it out, but you have to deal with it.

That said, the worst situation is when you find a condo you really want, and the owner has just recently renovated with the hope of getting a better price - everything fresh, new, and decked out in the latest faux Qing. Try negotiating that down.

Most owners will not agree to a "removal fee" : take it as is, or leave it.

But I have found it helps to compliment their choice and style, but come with a mock up or color schemes to show that you guys were hoping to do something completely different and don't get any value from their leftovers. This should help you get a reasonable price. You can then tell them they are welcome to leave the furniture, if they don't want to deal with the cost. You can sell it to a local who will pick it up for free or as part of your remodel.

This post strikes a cord with almost everything in Thailand.

• Like 1

Have to laugh at people who choose to live in Thailand and find fault with the Thai way of life.

My wife moved her mother into a new place after we had been together a while. I took one look at it and told the wife I would give her more money so her mother could get a better place. The wife said no this was a good place.

The point is I am in Thailand and realize they see things different than me so I try to adapt to there way it makes life much easier. Now if I didn't like the furniture I would get rid of it and get what I want. No problem and I would understand why they had it.

When you rent you will generally rent a furnished place and not replace all the furniture and appliances. It is just the way of the Thais.

• Like 1

Have to laugh at people who choose to live in Thailand and find fault with the Thai way of life.

My wife moved her mother into a new place after we had been together a while. I took one look at it and told the wife I would give her more money so her mother could get a better place. The wife said no this was a good place.

The point is I am in Thailand and realize they see things different than me so I try to adapt to there way it makes life much easier. Now if I didn't like the furniture I would get rid of it and get what I want. No problem and I would understand why they had it.

When you rent you will generally rent a furnished place and not replace all the furniture and appliances. It is just the way of the Thais.

I didn't come to Thailand to live in a shithole place, so no, thank you, I won't adapt, but up to you...

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

TRogers, actually that furniture is decent. After looking DD for months you have a winner. I was thinking about a condo for myself and wife down the road. If it were to be let, that is an entirely different standard.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

TRogers, actually that furniture is decent. After looking DD for months you have a winner. I was thinking about a condo for myself and wife down the road. If it were to be let, that is an entirely different standard.

My agent who brought me to look at 3 condo units was surprised that I chose this unit as it was oldest one.

But I look beyond the covers and see what it can become.

This is how it looks now after refurbishing.

post-77843-0-39748900-1389487644_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looked at a house in Pattaya recently, should have been about 7 million baht, but because owner was leaving everything except clothes, (even the motorbike), the price was 9.9 million!!

Not worth it as most of the stuff was not to my taste. I would have bought the place for 7 mil then spent a lot more changing the decor.

Bottom line is that too many people are asking inflated prices because they over estimate the value or desirability of their old stuff.

House in question will probably still be for sale in 12 months unless the owner gets a reality check.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Especially second hand cars. They try to sell a pile of junk with 100k on the clock and price it like it's a new car.

When i bought my condos I gave the furniture and all the bathroom fitting to the workers how were delighted to have it and took it in double quick time even the built -ins I did not want. and then proceeded to do a great reno job for me.

post-178307-0-38667800-1389492578_thumb.

post-178307-0-39534400-1389492685_thumb.

Edited by pitchag

Interesting because when I use the same reference source as you (with the assistance of a board certified proctologist), I find that most farang have an enormously over-rated, highly inflated sense of their high end, aka trailer park, tastes in interior decoration.

• Like 2

Looked at a house in Pattaya recently, should have been about 7 million baht, but because owner was leaving everything except clothes, (even the motorbike), the price was 9.9 million!! Not worth it as most of the stuff was not to my taste. I would have bought the place for 7 mil then spent a lot more changing the decor. Bottom line is that too many people are asking inflated prices because they over estimate the value or desirability of their old stuff. House in question will probably still be for sale in 12 months unless the owner gets a reality check. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Seems to me that many Thai owners would prefer to have an empty unsold or unrented home, rather than reduce the price for a quicker sale.

When I do the maths it doesn't make much sense to keep paying the bank for another year rather than drop the price a few thousand...

• Like 1

It's the same in all countries. Up to you to agree with seller if you're buying just the property or the furniture as well. I sold my last condo in London with the furniture, and the buyer paid extra for it. If you don't want the furniture, then deduct if from the price and ask seller to remove it. It's quits simple really. Not sure why anyone would think it's a big deal. You're the buyer, so up to up to agree a deal that suits you.

Looked at a house in Pattaya recently, should have been about 7 million baht, but because owner was leaving everything except clothes, (even the motorbike), the price was 9.9 million!! Not worth it as most of the stuff was not to my taste. I would have bought the place for 7 mil then spent a lot more changing the decor. Bottom line is that too many people are asking inflated prices because they over estimate the value or desirability of their old stuff. House in question will probably still be for sale in 12 months unless the owner gets a reality check. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Seems to me that many Thai owners would prefer to have an empty unsold or unrented home, rather than reduce the price for a quicker sale.

When I do the maths it doesn't make much sense to keep paying the bank for another year rather than drop the price a few thousand...

My example wasn't having a dig at Thais, the owner in question was from Europe, so this does apply to all nationalities, just seems more noticeable in Thailand than other places I have lived.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand