Suthep voted Asia's Person of the Year 2013

Lite Beer

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep voted Asia's Person of the Year 2013 on Asia Society website

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban has been voted Asia's Person of the Year 2013 on the Asia Society website.

Asia Society announced that Thaugsuban attracted 88 percent of the vote, nearly 116,000 votes in total.

Malala Yousafzai, the female education rights activist from Pakistan, was runner-up for the second consecutive year. She earned close to 12,000 votes, 9 percent of the total.

Asia Society is a leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among peoples, leaders and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-11

Well if such a man (Suthep) with such a doctrine be nominated for such a thing called Asia's person of the year then many idiots would stand a batter chance to receive such a recognition! Voters must be bunch of dump, deff, blind cowards who would stand all time lifelong idiots recognition

Typical red post.

Slips in the word "batter" along with a flurry of invective. 5 to be precise.

Remove these and there is no post

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well done Khun Suthep. A well deserved recognition by a much respected organisation. May you have much success in your mission over the next few days/weeks. Message to the Thaksin lovers 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'.

Khun Suthep should change his name: Khun Mussolini would be more correct.

Wow! How original. Have you considered a career in journalism? Thaksin has a few organs that might interest you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

There are a lot of similarities between Suthep and other evil dictators and cult leaders in history.

Most of his followers don't share those exact characteristics, they are however some of the most spoilt brat sections of thai society.

What we are witnessing is a hissy fit on a grand scale lead by one of the most evil leaders Thailand has ever produced.

EVIL ???? and then name the other EVIL ones, would love to see who you think he compares with. Killing fields---concentration camps---the 9-11 nutters--- ?????.

Re; all the historical crimes and dictators etc. and dragging them into stuff, I find it is better to focus on today and tomorrow than yesterday. I'm more interested in what these people today are proposing to do today, for the good of tomorrow, than to compare them with person XYZ in the past. Its just my own simplistic view really, but while it is good to learn about/from history, to keep dragging it along with you is actually counterproductive. Especially as all the historical events and persons existed in pre-digital age, it is like comparing the steam-age to the stone-age etc. I'm fairly sure there were some dictator-types in the caveman era too, but whats the point talking about them today except as history reading.

• Like 2

So the guy didn't get a single vote prior to 2014, then at one of his rallies in front of 6 million adoring fans a plea is made to go online and vote for him and he only get 116,000 votes from his 6 million worshippers.

I think this is crap organised by the lunatic himself the same as the bluesky T.V propaganda video.

Sour grapes.

You are wrong.

He is only worth 5.8 million, NOT 6.

Compare a person with a similar OK but if anyone can compare this man Suthep on the same level as Hitler and Mussolini are in need of serious help.

Many past and a few present can compete, but not Suthep.

And why exactly can't you compare a fascist with a fascist?

• Like 1

Even the AS website people aren't convinced this wasn't a case of organized balloting by his supporters.

At least they believe in some sort of voting.

It's nice to see that others also believe in a healthy dose of skepticism.

This mindfart reminds me of the piece that was being bandied about Facebook about "Foreign Policy" magazine finding Yingluck the "Worst Head of State" in the world. A little bit of research will uncover that the "Foreign Policy Group" is nothing but a bunch of lobbyists that will say what you pay.

What all this demonstrates is just how childish the whole fiasco is. I haven't seen such antics since grade school!

Edited by Curt1591

Pretty highly regarded the Asia Society, both in Asia, US, and Europe.

Adolf Hitler was similarly highly regarded in 1933. He was seen as the answer to Germanys problems........ for a few years.

Actually, I was referring to the Asia Society being highly regarded, not Suthep.., but as far as I know, Suthep hasn't written any equivalent to Mein Kampf in which he outlines a conspiracy by the (Thai red shirts) for world domination, so it's pretty silly to compare him with someone like Hitler.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

Compare a person with a similar OK but if anyone can compare this man Suthep on the same level as Hitler and Mussolini are in need of serious help.

Many past and a few present can compete, but not Suthep.

And why exactly can't you compare a fascist with a fascist?

I haven't seen any reports of him invading other counties OR killing millions, or wanting a blond hair blue eyed race, mass murdering Jews, gays, Gassing kids, using humans in experiments with animals...... you want more re Fascists, ???

• Like 1

First I think it's a joke, then I think it's a troll, then I see it's an article from the Nation, You have to be kidding,,,,, this smells like something that some one stepped in on the street,,,,, just think, if only 5% of the people of north Korea voted for Kim Jong Un then this would be a few more votes than Suthep, c'mon even Pol Pot's got a few more mates than Suthep,

Challenge,,, go out and ask 10 people this question,, Who do you think is Asia's person of the year? I'll wager it wont be Suthep.............w00t.gif

First I think it's a joke, then I think it's a troll, then I see it's an article from the Nation, You have to be kidding,,,,, this smells like something that some one stepped in on the street,,,,, just think, if only 5% of the people of north Korea voted for Kim Jong Un then this would be a few more votes than Suthep, c'mon even Pol Pot's got a few more mates than Suthep,

Challenge,,, go out and ask 10 people this question,, Who do you think is Asia's person of the year? I'll wager it wont be Suthep.............w00t.gif

Maybe not agreed, I would give it to our LADY in Myanmar (BURMA) over and over again until someone can do more good comes along.

It certainly would not be our PM or anyone in Thailand.

• Like 1

So the guy didn't get a single vote prior to 2014, then at one of his rallies in front of 6 million adoring fans a plea is made to go online and vote for him and he only get 116,000 votes from his 6 million worshippers.

I think this is crap organised by the lunatic himself the same as the bluesky T.V propaganda video.

Sour grapes.

You are wrong.

He is only worth 5.8 million, NOT 6.

My apologies, 5.8 million and not 6. I got the 6 from his propaganda video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVjUsKSKUE&feature=player_detailpage

Maybe his people should check their figures before they release the wrong numbers. Blame them for the exaggeration not me.

No sour grapes on my behalf? Definitely not, I despise the reds and the suthep lunatics.

Edited by chooka

Re; all the historical crimes and dictators etc. and dragging them into stuff, I find it is better to focus on today and tomorrow than yesterday. I'm more interested in what these people today are proposing to do today, for the good of tomorrow, than to compare them with person XYZ in the past. Its just my own simplistic view really, but while it is good to learn about/from history, to keep dragging it along with you is actually counterproductive. Especially as all the historical events and persons existed in pre-digital age, it is like comparing the steam-age to the stone-age etc. I'm fairly sure there were some dictator-types in the caveman era too, but whats the point talking about them today except as history reading.

Someone once said that 'those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Thailand is on the brink. The best outcome could actually be a military coup. Which is not something I thought I would ever write. It could prevent a lot of bloodshed. When and if the coup happens Suthep should be captured, remanded, charged with insurrection and brought to trial. The elections will have to be postponed. I can't see how a proper election can be held in three weeks time under the current circumstances.

I would advise the military to announce that free and fair elections will be held in a couple of months.

When the election is held it is vital that everyone voting honestly and fairly accepts the outcome. If they don't like future decisions then use democratic means to change them. Perhaps when people vote it could be made very clear that by voting they abide by the simple rule of accepting the majority outcome. This is the seed of democracy. Nurture this delicate plant and progress will be made. (It would be nice to see some of this nurturing going on in more mature democracies too but people are lazy and choose to let things slip).

The worst outcome is if Suthep gets what he wants. The imposing of a committee selected by Suthep and his mates. This will just lead to civil war. The Northern provinces have had enough of being dominated by Grungtep and the South.

Your comparison of steam age with the stone-age and the digital age throws up a major consideration. The technological factor. Stone axes vs automatic weapons and explosives. There were probably many dictator types in the caveman era. Lack of long distance communication, high powered weapons etc etc severely limited their power.

It remains to be seen whether to see if social media plays a decisive part for good or evil in the coming events.

It all depends on the military. Will the military support the elected government or not?

The government has the legitimacy to use the military to keep order if necessary. I fully understand why they are reticent about doing that.

The corruption,insidious and age old that is constantly gnawing away at the soul of Thailand does need to be scourged but not by overthrowing a government by undemocratic means led by a megalomaniac such as Suthep.

• Like 1

There are a lot of similarities between Suthep and other evil dictators and cult leaders in history.

Most of his followers don't share those exact characteristics, they are however some of the most spoilt brat sections of thai society.

What we are witnessing is a hissy fit on a grand scale lead by one of the most evil leaders Thailand has ever produced.

EVIL ???? and then name the other EVIL ones, would love to see who you think he compares with. Killing fields---concentration camps---the 9-11 nutters--- ?????.

Evil in the context of dragging this beautiful country to its knees and trying to stage a coup. Obviously not compared to the Stalin's 'Evil' etc but I would say that if he had the power I could see some similarity but Yunla has a fair point and it's not terribly relevant comparing.

here and now - he is not one of Thailand's greatest sons and history will not judge him kindly I would say - but let's see

if he committed to the EC suggestion of May elections, the Un-Dem Party too, and lay aside his megalomania then there is still a chance... all power to the newly started 'white shirt movement' if that could spread to every-day Thais there is hope

• Like 1

The corruption,insidious and age old that is constantly gnawing away at the soul of Thailand does need to be scourged but not by overthrowing a government by undemocratic means led by a megalomaniac such as Suthep.

But, we don't understand ….. wai.gif

Edited by Curt1591

Asia Society is a leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among peoples, leaders and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context.

promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships. Definitely describes the man and his cause, good work.

Definitely the funniest post ive read today cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Says the guy who claims to support neither red nor yellow, only supports democracy. Have another red fizzy drink, hypocrite !

Here's the Asia Society's account of what happened in the polling.

As of December 31st Suthep had almost zero votes from the time the polling opened December 20th.

Then in the past closing daze [sic] the poll had 165,000 hits from Thailand (not 6 million).

The runnerup, teenager Malala Yousafzai, who has recovered from a shot to the head by the Taliban, had "close to" 12,000 votes which Asia Society says would be enough to win in any normal voting year. (Suthep got almost 116,000 votes which I believe Asia society says is an unprecedentedly large number of votes beyond the typical number of the annual poll's number of reader-voters.)

The sudden surge of voting this year in the final daze of the open online polling shows what Suthep's still anonymous feudal council and its mob supporters will do to voting and elections polling here in Thailand.

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/how-thailands-suthep-thaugsuban-ran-away-our-person-year-poll

I see nothing in the above which surprises me. Indeed it is very normal in he marketing world to canvass for votes for the organisation you are sponsoring or support. As a Managing Director of a large Conference Venue in London every year I would commence a campaign to elicit the votes of my clients for the many annual award events. This has now been somewhat curtailed in the UK recently by the Bribery Act. However Clients are impressed when an organisation can demonstrate pedigree with the different award certificates and statuettes. Sometimes it worked, sometime is didn't. In this case it has obviously worked because so many of those on this forum who have eaten at the table of Khun Thaksin are annoyed to different degrees by Khun Sutheps award.

Your mention of the Bribery Act in the UK is apropos to the Asia Soceity's vote being flooded by Suthep's followers. And given that the winner last year, the Pakistani fascist Imran Kahn also came from the bottom of the list to win on a final days' vote surge, I've emailed the Asia Society to suggest they clean up their shoddy act concerning the repeated skewing of their online poll by ruthless politicians of the Asian political right.

You must also be pleased by the awards you've won in your own hustlings: "As a Managing Director of a large Conference Venue in London every year I would commence a campaign to elicit the votes of my clients for the many annual award events. This has now been somewhat curtailed in the UK recently by the Bribery Act."

The Bribery Act indeed.

Edited by Publicus

Evil in the context of dragging this beautiful country to its knees and trying to stage a coup. Obviously not compared to the Stalin's 'Evil' etc but I would say that if he had the power I could see some similarity but Yunla has a fair point and it's not terribly relevant comparing.

here and now - he is not one of Thailand's greatest sons and history will not judge him kindly I would say - but let's see

if he committed to the EC suggestion of May elections, the Un-Dem Party too, and lay aside his megalomania then there is still a chance... all power to the newly started 'white shirt movement' if that could spread to every-day Thais there is hope

I put a like to your post, But I will say this, The country was dragged to it's knees PRIOR to Suthep on the band wagon. We have to look at it this way, for had Thailand been taken care of over the 3 years there would be no need for Suthep or anyone else.

Well done Khun Suthep. A well deserved recognition by a much respected organisation. May you have much success in your mission over the next few days/weeks. Message to the Thaksin lovers 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'.

You don't have to be a Thaksin lover to KNOW that this poll/award is a total joke and one that'll surely backfire on this "much respected organisation".

Instructions were given out at every rally advising his followers of the website in which to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Khun Suthep should change his name: Khun Mussolini would be more correct.

No matter what some of you posters think of him, I find no comparison ---re Mussolini Hitler Some of you do not know your history or are crazy enough to type tripe. Suthep maybe whatever you think Good or bad for Thailand but you lot are way OTT with this liking to .

I have mixed feelings about the man, people are warned for small flamed remarks, and some of you are really taking the FLAME bit to other levels.

You may get a shock IF he ever got control here, and got access to some of your remarks, one thing is to disagree, another is to accuse someone of being like the 2 mentioned.

My comment I think on page 1 ? if he gets his task done and he is no good then choose again, that will be then 2 regimes rid of.

Trying to bring Hitler into this, or into much of anything, is almost always OTT.

Still, I do get that sinking feeling Suthep would make the trains run on time.

Here are a few quotes from the Asia Society's discussion accompanying their uncomfortable explanation of how Suthep won on a surge of final days' voting:

Of Suthep's People's Council: "It appears that Suthep and his circle would enjoy the privilege of handpicking the members of this group, which sounds an awful lot like a politburo."

Suthep Thinks, the People's Council Does: "He's seen as a roll-up-your-sleeves-style politician the guy that didn't mind stepping on a few toes to get things done. Think Dick Cheney."

Of Suthep's following: "I can't say I'm terribly surprised that Suthep's online faithful swarmed Asia Society's poll."

So I reiterate that if the Asia Society's poll is any indicator of what Suthep and his followers think of the integrity of voting in a democracy - not an online poll, but in a general election to form a government - then I'll gratefully wait a few minutes more for a train.

• Like 2

This is not going to please the frothers and followers of Thaksin, but it does make a lot of sense. Suthep has selflessly put his life on the line in an attempt to bring the essence of democracy to Thai politics. You may not support all of his methods, but by crikey the man has a pair of stones.

Good to see serious observers recognize his sacrifice.

yes your savior & leader. You can be next person to win such a recognition. We will all be good you deserve that including your role model Suthep

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Of course, no user needed to register to vote. A bot is all that is needed to even vote a million time for Kamnan Suthep. It looks to me the Pakistani girl played it out in an honest way but she could have never won against a corrupt politican like Suthep or even the Shinawatra's.

• Like 1