Are You Vista Ready?

Tywais

Microsoft has announced the system requirements to be able to run Vista. Appears they are not that high with most probably only needing a memory and/or video card upgrade to get to the Premium level.

"To be classified as Vista-capable, a computer needs an 800MHz processor, 512MB of memory and a DirectX 9-capable graphics card. Premium Ready machines need a 1GHz processor, 128MB of graphics memory, 1GB of system memory, a 40GB hard drive and an internal or external DVD-ROM drive."

Test your computer for Vista compliance.

40G just to install the ###### thing???

1GB Ram is a lot for most older machines. Do they even have SDRAM in those sizes, for example.

At the moment I'm not at all keen on moving to Vista, I just figured out how use XP properly, and it works, so far.

40G just to install the ###### thing???

1GB Ram is a lot for most older machines. Do they even have SDRAM in those sizes, for example.

At the moment I'm not at all keen on moving to Vista, I just figured out how use XP properly, and it works, so far.

I'm sure the 40G is not just for the OS since it fits on one DVD but for other minimal applications that you may need to be functional including pagefiles. I certainly will not just replace my working platforms with it until user problem reports come out and fixes made. Will just use an extra HD to give it a test drive to see what I think of it. I didn't install XP for my primary OS until at least a year after its release.

is vista ready ??? :D

Not before 2007 so you have lot's of time to get your PC prepped and ready. :o

2007 ...... maybe

Symantec sues Microsoft over trade secrets

By Benjamin J. Romano

Seattle Times technology reporter

Symantec filed a lawsuit in Seattle today alleging Microsoft committed a host of business misdeeds, including misappropriating trade secrets and violating a contract that covered code used in part of the coming Windows Vista operating system

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...symantec18.html

I got this laptop a year ago - top spec P4 Sony Vaio - and that compliance doofer is moaning about its graphics card and hard disk space.

Ah well, if it is released in 2007 I won't be going near it until 2009 at the earliest. It took me long enough to budge from Win2000 Pro.

Hi Tywais....I've tried this link all day and received the following message:

"The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta is currently unavailable, please check back soon. We apologize for the inconvenience".

Maybe this will be available in 2007?

:o Another bug to be worked out by Microsoft? Worked yesterday for me, maybe switching from Beta to Microsoft's version of Ready software.

128MB of graphics memory,

Well that eliminates most old note books and even some new ones being sold today!!

I agree with Penzman. I too am still on Windows 2000 Pro