Suthep rejects proposed talk on election postponement

Lite Beer

I smirk when the PTP/UDD incessantly repeat elections in every comment they ever quote as if like sheep they blindly follow regimes like in Syria, Zimbabwe and Sudan........

Are you saying that PTP stuffed the ballot boxes or falsified the count?

No. ​This was not in reference to the PTP manipulation of the electoral process with an example being Natisorn Thongtirach that stated to the judge regarding parliamentary voting "I like to vote more than once. I've been doing it for more than 10 years". My comment had nothing to do with that.

What I was saying was "I smirk when the PTP/UDD incessantly repeat elections in every comment they ever quote as if like sheep they blindly follow regimes like in Syria, Zimbabwe and Sudan"

You must be a PTP supporter?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I smirk when the PTP/UDD incessantly repeat elections in every comment they ever quote as if like sheep they blindly follow regimes like in Syria, Zimbabwe and Sudan. All having or have had democratic leaders that abused their majority rule under a guise of democracy. No other principle is ever quoted or highlighted. It is all about elections. The one principle that is not really the start, middle and end of democracy, but a gate way in allowing a govt to show the world it is democratic. I would have much more respect in PT or UDD comments if they mentioned democracy post ballot box. Though I doubt that would happen. Where would they start? Sad thing is the rebuttals on my comment will ignore every aspect of my argument and it will no doubt begin with "Well the DEMS did . and .. and Abhisit did and don't forget Suthep was a .." When you fear a govt and what they and their paramilitary arm (UDD) can do to you then they are no longer a govt. They are a regime. Govt's should not be feared. In Thailand that is not the case. Good luck Suthep. Save the majority from themselves.

Well I smirk at such a naive commentary .......it's nowhere near the real situation ...

Damn…I forgot that "other" rebuttal that doesn't actually debate my view point or highlights alternate arguments. It is just "nowhere near the real situation" which I can only assume is something other than what I have written. Very vague and nondescript. A bit like Plodprasop when telling environmentalists the advantages of a dam being built on a fault line overlooking villages with actual human beings living in them. Voters to boot! I bet they are not smirking...

Eventually both sides will have to talk. Nothing wrong in setting a new election date later. The dems then have to work hard. They must beat the reds on their home ground, in the north. Suthep should go meet the other side and negotiate an election date. Then step back and let others make strategy.

When they do the job well it should be easy for the voters in the north to see what the shinaclan really is about: pillaging and plundering on a scale comparable with the old war with the burmese, when Ayutthaya was burnt.

You're absolutely right but I'm afraid that the voters in the North have been aware for years how the Bangkok elite has been plundering the resources of the country. Now that they want their piece of the cake, Bangkok isn't happy and wants to pretend that it is Thailand. Unfortunately, although the high rise hairdos and stiff-necked Dems will tell you of the poor education in the provinces (which in the past has benefitted them by providing them with a passive populous who voted against their own interests) the rural populous to the north and north east are not as stupid as Bangkok thinks. Because now they understand the power of their vote, they will never again give it to the patronising bigots who are still deluded enough to think they can keep things firmly stuck in the 1960s.

This is why getting rid of the Shinawatras (however nice that will be) will make no difference to the Dems & their ilk long term. Though Thaksin courted the rural vote for selfish purposes, he has changed the country and there's no going back.

The future of this country will no longer be decided by the minority in Bangkok.

Thank you! Could not have said it better!

• Like 1

Umm ... perhaps the part about how the elected government becomes the caretaker government eludes you? The constitution determines this to be case. They may be the caretaker government but they are such because they were the elected government in the first place. Or didn't you notice that?

Umm - and what brought all the protesters out on the streets in the first place? Why was the party list elected appointed PM/DM forced into dissolving parliament and calling a snap election, after weeks of denying she would do this?

This is not a PM and government elected by a majority. It's a government elected with the largest minority vote that have been forced to dissolve parliament because of the way it acts. However the democratic system works, getting elected is not a mandate for corruption or being above the law. Or do you believe elected governments can do "what they want"?

Actually the now care taker government WAS elected by a clear majority. The coalition partners together had over 53% of the popular vote and 300 seats in parliament, both a clear majority. Of course the only thing that matters in Thailand is having 251 seats in parliament, something PT alone was more than good for.

As per constitution, after parliament has been dissolved the current government stays on as care taker government, until next elections make it possible for a new government to be formed based upon the current balance of power in parliament. There is nothing in the constitution that makes it possible to transfer power to some unelected council, and as such there is no provision to change the constitution without any electoral mandate.

What Suthep wants, simply isn't possible.

Edited by sjaak327

The demonstrators do want elections, its just quite clear that a few changes need to take place first.

I'm sure they want elections. Of course the rules of the game specifically state such changes can only be performed with an electoral mandate. In other words, changes can only happen after elections.

No surrender you can't negotiate withl a scorpion or snake

Well done Suphet. Notice difference between red shirt thugs in 2010 and this protest. So fat totally peaceful no burnings no guns with protestors just a very large group of determined people who are totally sick and tired of Taksin and his lot just doing whatever they want.

I never thought Suphet it stood a chance but whatever Taksin supporters here say just going by crowds he obviously has massive support. And before we get a barrage of BS about elected government democracy elections and rest it is obvious to anyone not blind that Taksin and his vile government are not wanted by a very large section of Thais of all walks of life.

To hold an election on 2nd feb is pointless and will achieve nothing. It would not even result in a government even if Taksin got 100% of vote since os many wont vote and their cant be enough MPs anyway. Even if Taksin managed to disregard rules again and try ot form a parliament it simply would not be accepted by so many it oculd not function and Army will not intervene.

So only way pout is for Yingluk to resign and a interim new caretaker government not linked to Taksin take over for a few months while reforms are put in place. Then have an election without Taksin (or it simply wont work) and most would accept a voted government even one most red shirts would want provided Taksin was not involved.

The only other way out is an army coup or Taksin pays enough to start a real civil war which in his desperation he could well try however I dont think that will work and I cant see cowardly reds supporting in enough numbers and so hell have to rely on paid mercenaries.

Before Taksin tries to turn Thailand into a sort of Syria he should but wont do decent thing for sake of Thailand. Being vile coward he is and fact all he cares for is his own then that is not going to happen.

That's a pretty one sided POV. Firstly if Suthep has the numbers you claim then why not take it to an election. You are more or less admitting that he does not. Secondly if the vast majority or even a simple electoral majority (as per the way the system is designed to work) support PT and Yingluck, you and the mob have no right, either moral or real, to overturn that. Thirdly, if people don't vote then they have no right to complain - that's how democracy works even if you seem not to quite understand that.

You can not dictate to the electorate who they vote for and decide to exclude people simply because you don't want them to run. That is completely abhorrent in a democratic system. In the US, millions (probably a far, far higher percentage than dislike Thaksin) despised George W. Bush and felt that he was tainted by heinous crimes but the system still allowed him to run. Unless Yingluck is banned by the courts - and until she is banned - she is entitled to run and people are entitled to vote for her. End of story.

And who are you to risk a civil war and the lives of your countrymen and women? That's awful. "I don't think" and "I can't see" one happening is not good enough.

The simple fact is the only way out of this for the nation to survive and have a future is for elections to proceed. Democracy and the rule of law are only advanced in a civilised nation (and Thailand for all the whinging is increasingly one) through the electoral process. If this does not happen and an elected government is tossed out by a mob - no matter how big - the primary loser is the future of Thailand and the Thai people.

At the moment there is no elected government! Parliament was dissolved. there is only a caretaker government, or didn't you notice that?

Umm ... perhaps the part about how the elected government becomes the caretaker government eludes you? The constitution determines this to be case. They may be the caretaker government but they are such because they were the elected government in the first place. Or didn't you notice that?

I was only pointing out that if the protests were successful they would not be throwing an elected government out of office, even though they were elected prior to dissolution! I did notice how they got elected, I also noticed what they have done as a government, and what lead to the dissolution of government.

It also interesting to note that a peaceful demonstration is characterised as a mob, rather than a group of people practising their democratic right to protest. And yes I had noticed why they are protesting!

Edited by ggold

Mr. Suthep has rejected democracy, flawed as it may be,

And with him the impatient elite, all so very quickly,

It's hard to improve our lot, be real, say the PDRC,

So let's protest, let's die, and kill this fragile democracy.

We lack the will to improve our political system,

Changing our leaders seems our only option,

Reforms, corruption control, that's not realistic,

These are alien ideals, and for us not pragmatic.

I was only pointing out that if the protests were successful they would not be throwing an elected government out of office, even though they were elected prior to dissolution! I did notice how they got elected, I also noticed what they have done as a government, and what lead to the dissolution of government.

It also interesting to note that a peaceful demonstration is characterised as a mob, rather than a group of people practising their democratic right to protest. And yes I had noticed why they are protesting!

Of course demonstrating isn't the only democratic rights people can practice. Another one is voting, and yet another one is running for office. Yet the protestors seemed hell bent on denying people the right to run for office. That isn't peaceful by any stretch of the imagination. These people seem to believe their democratic rights are more important than those of others. That is something any true democrat could never support.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

I smirk when the PTP/UDD incessantly repeat elections in every comment they ever quote as if like sheep they blindly follow regimes like in Syria, Zimbabwe and Sudan. All having or have had democratic leaders that abused their majority rule under a guise of democracy. No other principle is ever quoted or highlighted. It is all about elections. The one principle that is not really the start, middle and end of democracy, but a gate way in allowing a govt to show the world it is democratic. I would have much more respect in PT or UDD comments if they mentioned democracy post ballot box. Though I doubt that would happen. Where would they start? Sad thing is the rebuttals on my comment will ignore every aspect of my argument and it will no doubt begin with "Well the DEMS did . and .. and Abhisit did and don't forget Suthep was a .." When you fear a govt and what they and their paramilitary arm (UDD) can do to you then they are no longer a govt. They are a regime. Govt's should not be feared. In Thailand that is not the case. Good luck Suthep. Save the majority from themselves.

Well I smirk at such a naive commentary .......it's nowhere near the real situation ...

dam_nI forgot that "other" rebuttal that doesn't actually debate my view point or highlights alternate arguments. It is just "nowhere near the real situation" which I can only assume is something other than what I have written. Very vague and nondescript. A bit like Plodprasop when telling environmentalists the advantages of a dam being built on a fault line overlooking villages with actual human beings living in them. Voters to boot! I bet they are not smirking...

Ok Ok. fair point but it's all been argued here ad nauseam.... The naive element is believing that this is all about corruption !!!! It's really not Its a power struggle with many complex layers underneath. Time will show the truth.

• Like 1

The demonstrators do want elections, its just quite clear that a few changes need to take place first.

What changes would those be? And what's the timescale. Have we been told?

Yes, if you listen to the speeches, or read the press releases, all the information is there.

• Like 1

Of course demonstrating isn't the only democratic rights people can practice. Another one is voting, and yet another one is running for office. Yet the protestors seemed hell bent on denying people the right to run for office. That isn't peaceful by any stretch of the imagination. These people seem to believe their democratic rights are more important than those of others. That is something any true democrat could never support.

While Suthep is calling for an interim peoples council to replace Yingluck. It is to allow time for all parties to debate and amend the constitution so that corrupt politicians cannot control government without the checks and balances that PTP tried to remove. Once that is achieved Elections would be held. Suthep is even on record as saying he will not stand for re election!

So all this BS about peoples rights being usurped by others is pathetic. Because if PTP had their way no one would have any rights once they had complete control.

• Like 1

I'm sure they want elections. Of course the rules of the game specifically state such changes can only be performed with an electoral mandate. In other words, changes can only happen after elections.

I would add that any changes need to be made by the chosen representatives of the people and not by an unelected "peoples council"

The mess that Thailand is currently experiencing is a direct result of the last unelected government.

It's highly unlikely that another council of "good people" will bring the stability that the country yearns for.

Sutheps latest rejection just moves him further into the political wilderness.

He is being offered a platform to include his supporters views and he throws it away. which will likely alienate some of his more moderate support.

Furthermore Sutheps failure to take part in talks continues to give legitimacy to PTP's position.

Even the redshirts engaged in dialogue and had an offer (which they foolishly rejected) with Abisiht.

The game has moved on since then.

Negotiation, communication and compromise is the only hope for any lasting resolution.

While Suthep is calling for an interim peoples council to replace Yingluck. It is to allow time for all parties to debate and amend the constitution so that corrupt politicians cannot control government without the checks and balances that PTP tried to remove. Once that is achieved Elections would be held. Suthep is even on record as saying he will not stand for re election!

So all this BS about peoples rights being usurped by others is pathetic. Because if PTP had their way no one would have any rights once they had complete control.

Are you denying the protestors did try to prevent people from registering for the upcoming elections ? It isn't BS, but verifiable facts.

Why does Suthep holds the government accountable for an alleged breach of the constitution, yet his plans are a clear violation of the same constitution. Suddenly the constitution doesn't apply to his actions. If he wants reform, he needs to run for office and gather enough electoral support, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 1

Corrupt or not,

more corrupt or less,

the fact is, she is the democratically elected PM,

what's wrong with that, if she'd "chair" a talk with all sides?

The fact that this clown rejects her offer tells you ANY and EVERYTHING how far backwards this country will go if he or any of his circus clowns and animals would reign.

I never was a friend of any sides, but now it's sure, this dried up dwarf - promoting something he himself is dismantling it.

How sick can Hippocratic get?

The Dems aren't contesting this election but then neither is Thaksin but if there is an election then he will be in charge again undemocratically.

So what's the solution?

Condemn democratic ways because we assume, something, or

we go rogue like this souptrap clown, or

we put all efforts in to do the best to have fair elections to allow the people, who really earn it - to decide who should lead them for the net term?

I'd say and agree/support, always - the latter.

Hence, the more the opposition now rejects, I'd say, in then end, the ore THEY pave the way themselves so nothing changes but only gets worse.

Didn't we all learn that "Dialogue", the competences to talk to each other, reduced risk s going to war. no?

I can't see any reason why the Thai shouldn't be able to learn the same. Given, however, that crazy loudspeakers get turned off and brains, on, instead.

Well done Suphet. Notice difference between red shirt thugs in 2010 and this protest. So fat totally peaceful no burnings no guns with protestors just a very large group of determined people who are totally sick and tired of Taksin and his lot just doing whatever they want.

I never thought Suphet it stood a chance but whatever Taksin supporters here say just going by crowds he obviously has massive support. And before we get a barrage of BS about elected government democracy elections and rest it is obvious to anyone not blind that Taksin and his vile government are not wanted by a very large section of Thais of all walks of life.

To hold an election on 2nd feb is pointless and will achieve nothing. It would not even result in a government even if Taksin got 100% of vote since os many wont vote and their cant be enough MPs anyway. Even if Taksin managed to disregard rules again and try ot form a parliament it simply would not be accepted by so many it oculd not function and Army will not intervene.

So only way pout is for Yingluk to resign and a interim new caretaker government not linked to Taksin take over for a few months while reforms are put in place. Then have an election without Taksin (or it simply wont work) and most would accept a voted government even one most red shirts would want provided Taksin was not involved.

The only other way out is an army coup or Taksin pays enough to start a real civil war which in his desperation he could well try however I dont think that will work and I cant see cowardly reds supporting in enough numbers and so hell have to rely on paid mercenaries.

Before Taksin tries to turn Thailand into a sort of Syria he should but wont do decent thing for sake of Thailand. Being vile coward he is and fact all he cares for is his own then that is not going to happen.

Negotiation is the ONLY way forward, like it or not nothing will change until all sides are considered and included in how to move forward.

Suthep can sound like a broken record all he wants and the few thousand people with him, the truth is it dosnt represent more than a few % of the people however much youd like it to.

Respect the vote and go work on a real opposition party, if things are to be changed you do it only by respecting all sides and the right to vote.

Dems go away and get some decent policies and pitch it to the people like any other decent party, until then they are just unelectable and politically youll get what Thailand deserves.

Sutheps demands of instilling a peoples China bureau has absolutely no international support and hardly any from the people, they are so out of touch with what people want its laughable.

People want fair and fully represented reforms, that means it has to include ALL including the reds and yellows around a table and all working towards a positive change. Suthep has missed the wave of support in the beginning to drive this support into a brick wall by making demands that border on the insane. In short the dems have totally blown any credibility by hitching its coat to the madman.

Internationally this whole attempt to be undemocratic is seen as a massive step backwards and Thailand's image has suffered more in the last decade simply because it has deviated from the democratic process. This is the fault of the elite making demands when they dont win in elections and has set a bad example how to gain control. This time it has totally missed the opportunity and sympathy of the people by continuing to demonstrate the lack of willingness to negotiate and being the healing process.

Im not a red supporter but image wise this government have not reacted the way the dems did and that is what is important, they are also asking for talks, only an imbecile refuses to take part and Suthep is playing his part perfectly being one. He had the time he had the chance and threw it away with excessive demands and claims, just like now by refusing to talk.

In short he is now beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

You are correct negotiation is the only way forward.

your claim that

Suthep can sound like a broken record all he wants and the few thousand people with him, the truth is it dosnt represent more than a few % of the people however much youd like it to.

is ridicules. Are you honestly asking us to believe that with such a small backing he can peacefully bring Yingluck to her knees. first she wouldn't resign then she would then she would not delay the election now she wants to talk about it. All because of a few citizens who are not involved in politics other than as voters. Give us a break.

You are very sadly mistaken it is far more people opposing her than you are aware of. The point is you can stay unaware and nothing will change but as she becomes more and more aware of the number of people against her the whole government starts to back peddle.

Yes discussion is necessary but Suthep is correct in insisting it be done before the election. It makes no sense to expect a government to campaign on the basses that they will take part in reforming the government only if you have an election first. They do not want to run for office on a level field. Agree to reforming the government first with out giving the advantage of being in power to any of the parties and you will come up with a much better government.

Is that not what we all want?wai.gif

Corrupt or not,

more corrupt or less,

the fact is, she is the democratically elected PM,

what's wrong with that, if she'd "chair" a talk with all sides?

The fact that this clown rejects her offer tells you ANY and EVERYTHING how far backwards this country will go if he or any of his circus clowns and animals would reign.

I never was a friend of any sides, but now it's sure, this dried up dwarf - promoting something he himself is dismantling it.

How sick can Hippocratic get?

The Dems aren't contesting this election but then neither is Thaksin but if there is an election then he will be in charge again undemocratically.

So what's the solution?

Condemn democratic ways because we assume, something, or

we go rogue like this souptrap clown, or

we put all efforts in to do the best to have fair elections to allow the people, who really earn it - to decide who should lead them for the net term?

I'd say and agree/support, always - the latter.

Hence, the more the opposition now rejects, I'd say, in then end, the ore THEY pave the way themselves so nothing changes but only gets worse.

Didn't we all learn that "Dialogue", the competences to talk to each other, reduced risk s going to war. no?

I can't see any reason why the Thai shouldn't be able to learn the same. Given, however, that crazy loudspeakers get turned off and brains, on, instead.

No we learned that telling the Japanese we surrender reduced the chance of going to war.giggle.gif

No dialogue needed.wai.gif

How soon we forget.clap2.gif

• Like 1

I would recommend that YS resign. At least she will have some dignity left. The more this government try to strong arm the citizens, the more they are hated. Remember, this movement is not about party lines. it is going to be something that most countries facing a corrupt government can never do, but want to do. The world is definitely watching.

• Like 1

Notice the difference? The rally in 2010 started peaceful, no guns? people have already died..

Well, there you have it. The Dear Leader has no intention of talking to anybody, he is above all that nonsence about dialogue, dscussion, give and take and all the other silly trapings of civilised life. Total surrender and total subservience to His demands, or else!

I'm relatively new here in Thailand (4.5 years) can somebody please tell me who is pulling "his" strings. I've asked Suthep supporters and no one will give me an answer.

The only real solution to this is a coup. suthep does not want that either as he could not then start his dictatorship. suthep has lied too many times to all of you and you can not see it. When he was in the government he was just as corrupted as them all. You all need to wake up. If you want a dictatorship stay with him. If you want a democracy go else where.

What tripe you either want a democracy or you dont!!! Clearly you want "El presidente" fascist junta........... watch your country go down the pan even more or actually educate your people.............oh no way too difficult eh? "peoples reform ha ha ha ha ha

Edited by kannot

Just another common or garden Thai coup engineered by the usual suspects. Anyone who ever thought otherwise has been deluded. They don't like democracy, they never did like democracy, and they've decided to knock the experiment on the head once and for all. So there's nothing to talk about. At least Suthep is being honest.

Suthep honest ! biggrin.png you are kidding, are'nt you ?

Who was it that "demanded" an election in the first place. Suthep is nothing but the village idiot considering the way he keep changing his demands and moving the goal posts and then making promises and predictions which never never happen ! coffee1.gifwhistling.gif