Brilliant japanese solution to dealing with slow walkers

MrHammer

Not so bad if everyone kept right but people always wanna stand beside each other.

Ah, grasshopper. In some societies, they stand on the right, some on the left- creating infinite confusion that causes people to bunch up for warmth and security...

Drives me up a fricking wall, too.

Yea it's the signs in Thai and English that say keep right that must be throwing a wrench into people at the airport!

Haha Ahh well when in Rome I suppose!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to be a fast walker. For fun I'd walk circles around around the especially slow walkers, literally. Time passes. Two torn achilles and arthritis have changed all that smart-alicky stuff. Guess you could say I'm doing a slow lane flip-flop now. So now i wear my fanny pack backwards, on my fanny, and on the back of that, I've attached a bell with a string. Pull my string and the bell rings. the hard-to-see string has been replaced by a siver-looking easy-to-see chain. Plus, I'm tall enough and bent over enough that the bellchain is an easy reach for Thais. For some reason, girls especially like to ring my bell. I'm grateful when passers pass on not my cane hand side. So if you see me out walking somewhere, give me a wave; and if you're going my way, pull my chain to pass!

It wouldn't work on me if I was still living in Taiwan. The idiots there are all over the sidewalks with their bikes and I seen all kinds of people getting run into by idiots in all my years there...this included places where their were bike lanes on the roads too. So with me, and most other foreigners there, when we walked and heard the bike bell ring behind us, we just slowed down even more an/or moved more to the center to make them stop behind us. And that solved that problem.

Slow walking fine by me.

I used to wonder why Thai walked (relatively) slowly.

It's not that Thais walk too slow, but we walk to fast in the Thai Tropical climate.

Sure, I used to get frustrated, manoeuvring past folk to get there 1 minute faster to the BTS,

arrived on the platform, quickly started to sweat-up, feeling uncomfortably, hoping that air-conditioned

train would arrive quickly so I could cool down.

A minute later the Thais I had pushed past, arrive on the Platform in their typical laconic style,

nary a bead of sweat on them.

I didn't bother to watch the clip ... I'm assuming that's a Tazer Gun ... facepalm.gif ... classy.

BTW ... I'm not apologising for the Thai walking speed, but just understanding why they walk at a slower pace then we do in the West.

Actually, if you think about it, it's only been since the West introduced bubble gum to the East that they've come to a standstill. Notice that it doesn't seem effect the driving as much.

Slow walking fine by me.

I used to wonder why Thai walked (relatively) slowly.

It's not that Thais walk too slow, but we walk to fast in the Thai Tropical climate.

Sure, I used to get frustrated, manoeuvring past folk to get there 1 minute faster to the BTS,

arrived on the platform, quickly started to sweat-up, feeling uncomfortably, hoping that air-conditioned

train would arrive quickly so I could cool down.

A minute later the Thais I had pushed past, arrive on the Platform in their typical laconic style,

nary a bead of sweat on them.

I didn't bother to watch the clip ... I'm assuming that's a Tazer Gun ... facepalm.gif alt=facepalm.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4031585225 width=24 height=18> ... classy.

BTW ... I'm not apologising for the Thai walking speed, but just understanding why they walk at a slower pace then we do in the West.

Couldn't even bother to watch the video? Wow, Thailand really has made you lazy rolleyes.gif

the slow walking drives me crazy.

i am from canada and i find it very inconsiderate how thais dont care about anyone else when they are walking.

they constantly cut you off, walk right toward you so you have to walk around them, step out on the sidewalk or road and right in front of you without even looking or caring, they stop in the middle of aisles at the store and just dont care if they are in peoples way. i think it has to do with manners and consideration.

being a westener i find it very rude

It's become a way of life in many countries, where people are walking along the path and suddenly come to a complete stop.

People all walk at different paces, but what annoys me are the muppets at a snails pace while walking 3 abreast.

A number of studies have shown that walking speed in cities is a function of the size of the city. Not a result of the culture or race of the walkers, in general.

bornstein-chart.jpg

Well Bangkok's definitely an outlier then, NYers would be walking right up Thai backsides and counting all the "out-of-towners" here - population being counted by house registrations - I bet BKK's real population is actually larger.

Edited by wym

Great VDO. When I encounter slow walkers blocking my way I usually say "and another World Record for slow walking" or "if you walked any slower you'd be going backwards" That normally moves them out of the way and often gets a smile.

My real pet hate is two (adults) abreast on an escalator stopping people from walking up.

I take it a good old 'kor tort, or 'kor thang' doesn't work for you blokes?

Come now. Bwana does not talk to the locals in their lingo. They should understand that when Bwana is there, they must deferentially step aside.

Given the difficulties of mastering three words I guess they should try 'move aside, white man coming through!'

Me first , me first. Me Me ME!!

Rather rude and a good example of how self- centered urban humans have become, not to mention void of common courtesy.

If I need to get by someone I say in a polite tone, " excuse me, please." I've never had anyone refuse to move to the side.

Rather rude and a good example of how self- centered urban humans have become, not to mention void of common courtesy.

If I need to get by someone I say in a polite tone, " excuse me, please." I've never had anyone refuse to move to the side.

Gosh, and I was going to say:

It's always me-me-me. Wandering aimlessly with my head buried in my IPhone (or just up my butt) or out with my clique ambling in anything but a straight line- side by side by side by side by..., completely oblivious to the fact that there are others around who actually have something useful to do and who do value their time...

I agree that the bike bell is rude, and most of us would never actually use one. Just like the other perverse little bitty fantasies we knock around in our brains when we run into those aimless wanderers who seem devoid of common courtesy.

Edited by impulse

Love it!!

I just can't stand people looking at their phone and impeding the flow of foot traffic.

Too busy to look where there are going etc.

Thais are not slow they are just more interested in their phone than anything else.

They need someone to tell them what to do with their lives all day long.

A carryover from the rote system of learning??

Is this not the most connected society per person in the world? Or at least BKK?

Now if they had a app that would call them as I approach and have them move over, nah nah that wouldn't work they would just slow to check their phones.

Ah back to the bicycle bell.

Doc

Gosh, and I was going to say:

It's always me-me-me. Wandering aimlessly with my head buried in my IPhone (or just up my butt) or out with my clique ambling in anything but a straight line- side by side by side by side by..., completely oblivious to the fact that there are others around who actually have something useful to do and who do value their time...

I agree that the bike bell is rude, and most of us would never actually use one. Just like the other perverse little bitty fantasies we knock around in our brains when we run into those aimless wanderers who seem devoid of common courtesy.

Yes, it is always me-me-me. In fact you being mad at slower walkers not yielding to your fast walking ways is once again about me-me-me... or rather you-you-you.

I take it a good old 'kor tort, or 'kor thang' doesn't work for you blokes?

Come now. Bwana does not talk to the locals in their lingo. They should understand that when Bwana is there, they must deferentially step aside.

Given the difficulties of mastering three words I guess they should try 'move aside, white man coming through!'

I like that, I really do and not sarcastically even. It would just be better if I could hire a local to do it, shouting out that the farang is coming and to move over. If they didn't move over than a few lashes with a long stick, British in India style.