What does the future hold for Thailand?

webfact

I have to add - I met a young Thai... what 25,26, a day ago (where I am are only ordinary Thai, who will all be affected) they wore a T-shirt reading "Bangkok Shut Down"...

I asked, why they wear it, and all they could answer was "Fight"

I asked back - fight for what?

Short answer again "fight for the government go"

Asking back again, "and then?

Short answer again "I don't know"

clap2.gifcheesy.gif - and that is the young, university level educated folk cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Don't know, just fight

Bravo, wonderful, TRUE amazing

(ture=irony)

Its not exactly rocket science to work out that remove the Shinawatras and any future looks brighter.

Too many words to get on a T-shirt, but you get the picture. Maybe not.

Bright for whom ??

Shall we roll back the national healthcare also ?? How about the economic boom that the north east has enjoyed over the last decade ??

• Like 1

the basic idea to support the farmers is right...but the problem is the method is costing the total thai economy too much

the bsaic idea to have good railway system is right...but the problem is highspeed trains are not giving any support to transport goods and people to a reasonable price...highspeed trtains make sence when there is a good basic railways system working like in Japan, France and so

the real problem is that the governement is incompetent because not listening to the people

Do you really think that the rice scam scheme was set up to support the farmers ? or high speed trains to develop infrastructure ?...these scams are in place or were being put in place so a small group of people could line their own pockets through corruption, many of whom are part of the goverment.

the real problem is that the goverment is a bunch corrupt people who put their own interests before the good of the country.

This is exactly what the protests are all about....Typically Thailand tolerates corruption to a degree as eveybody does it, but the PTP went too far

Unless Thailand breaks the current political cycle completely...ie think the definition of insanity...(repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different out come) Thailand will be perpetually going thorugh cycles of election, protest, coup, election protest coup nothing will get better on poltical front

So Suthep is the poster boy for clean governance is he ? The man who brought down the last elected democrat government ??

Give me a break. .

• Like 1

At first glance one's inclination is that the writer of this article could be forgiven, given the presumption that he apparently has been sleeping through this crisis. But it's actually a very crafty article with some pretty scary conclusions. Clearly, he thinks the status quo is just great, with Thaksin's hold in place. He seems to be in favour of military intervention, though apparently only to prop up the present administration. He doesn't stop there. He goes on to criticize the Constitutional Court, the National Anti-Corruption Commission, and the Election Commission. In other words, all branches of oversight. So apart from being doubtless favourite reading for Robert Amsterdam, it is clear where this article belongs. Now that we have cleansed ourselves of this article, let's take a sober look at what's happening. What is happening is what is supposed to be happening. The people's voice is being heard. Yingluck appears to be very seriously considering stepping down. A reform process is more likely to take place, followed by an eventual referendum and national election. The courts are exercising their rightful roles, with caution, deliberation, and sobriety. And it's happening peacefully.

the basic idea to support the farmers is right...but the problem is the method is costing the total thai economy too much

the bsaic idea to have good railway system is right...but the problem is highspeed trains are not giving any support to transport goods and people to a reasonable price...highspeed trtains make sence when there is a good basic railways system working like in Japan, France and so

the real problem is that the governement is incompetent because not listening to the people

Do you really think that the rice scam scheme was set up to support the farmers ? or high speed trains to develop infrastructure ?...these scams are in place or were being put in place so a small group of people could line their own pockets through corruption, many of whom are part of the goverment.

the real problem is that the goverment is a bunch corrupt people who put their own interests before the good of the country.

This is exactly what the protests are all about....Typically Thailand tolerates corruption to a degree as eveybody does it, but the PTP went too far

Unless Thailand breaks the current political cycle completely...ie think the definition of insanity...(repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different out come) Thailand will be perpetually going thorugh cycles of election, protest, coup, election protest coup nothing will get better on poltical front

So Suthep is the poster boy for clean governance is he ? The man who brought down the last elected democrat government ??

Give me a break. .

A year enoughwink.png

Close - but no cigar: The real problem is that Thaksin has always put his own interests first - he's a parasite.

You say that as though he was a lone example of self interest in a general climate of transparent governance..

Hes no worse than the entrenched powers that be, in fact he actually did something for the poor, hence why hes still got a majority despite all his failings.

Hes just not old school power.. Didnt go the the Prem school in Mae Rim.. Not one of the young turks who unofficially rule via military power bases.. This is about ensuring that group keep power via a 'peoples council' instead of letting the population decide.

• Like 1

I have to add - I met a young Thai... what 25,26, a day ago (where I am are only ordinary Thai, who will all be affected) they wore a T-shirt reading "Bangkok Shut Down"...

clap2.gifcheesy.gif - and that is the young, university level educated folk cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Don't know, just fight

(ture=irony)

attachicon.gifDaffy.jpg Amazing that you haven't considered the possibility that his English didn't allow him to elaborate further.

If you live in Thailand and look down and step on Thai because of their ability to express themselves in English. You should consider learning to speak Thai and express you view in the local language. If you are not bother to learn, how about pack up and go home!

I always wonder why there are quite a lot of foreigners here in Thailand keep complaining and looking down on Thais. At the same time, they keep doing their Visa run instead of heading home to their own countries.

Yes, the same can be said about the Thais that live and do business in America but yet they don't learn English. I think maybe they should pack it up and go home nobody needs another Thai restaurant.

I'm particularly interested to know how much of this discord would fade away if Thaksin was 'removed'. Would Peua Thai then become a real party with sensible policies for the poor, would it disintegrate. Would we be able to get on with politics that battles for the hearts and minds of the masses through sustainable policies instead of populist junk designed to launder the image of a criminal. There are some valid points to both sides, and both sides have poor leadership and behaviour, but ultimately I think reconciliation would all be so much easier if one single man was removed.

• Like 2

I'm particularly interested to know how much of this discord would fade away if Thaksin was 'removed'. Would Peua Thai then become a real party with sensible policies for the poor, would it disintegrate. Would we be able to get on with politics that battles for the hearts and minds of the masses through sustainable policies instead of populist junk designed to launder the image of a criminal. There are some valid points to both sides, and both sides have poor leadership and behaviour, but ultimately I think reconciliation would all be so much easier if one single man was removed.

I reckon that even if a party led by Siddhartha with the Dalai Lama as deputy held a parliamentary majority, running the country with the morals and ethics expected of them, this lot would be stomping their feet and trying to exercise their 'birth right'.

Give me a break. .

not at all, one suspects he is just as bad as the rest of them.

Being one of the red blind faithful, I know you may not be the quickest on the uptake, but the point of my post was to say something has to change in Thailand, its in a perpetual cycle of protest coup,election etc with the usual suspects involved in politics, therefore the cycle needs to be broken to bring about change, and if Sutheps action brings this so be it, what that change will be remains to be seen, if maybe for the better, it may not be, nobody knows even the "all wise" TV posters, Thailand has limited choices currently for running a goverment, a confirmed/proven meglomanic dictator or a "possible facist"

We already know the meglomanic promised to stay out of politics and couldnt help himself by sticking his nose in, Suthep has promised not to get involved once the protests are over, that remains to seen,

We already know what the intentions of the man in Dubai, but no one is sure of the intentions of Suthep, he may do the right thing...

based on the current events, dear YK and the PTP are screwed and will either step down or there will be coup..to me this is a given

Don't know, just fight

(ture=irony)

attachicon.gifDaffy.jpg Amazing that you haven't considered the possibility that his English didn't allow him to elaborate further.

If you live in Thailand and look down and step on Thai because of their ability to express themselves in English. You should consider learning to speak Thai and express you view in the local language. If you are not bother to learn, how about pack up and go home!

I always wonder why there are quite a lot of foreigners here in Thailand keep complaining and looking down on Thais. At the same time, they keep doing their Visa run instead of heading home to their own countries.

Yes, the same can be said about the Thais that live and do business in America but yet they don't learn English. I think maybe they should pack it up and go home nobody needs another Thai restaurant.

@ bunny11kk

&

@ GazR

Where did I critizise their "English" and why do both of you make such an as* out of YOU (not me) by assuming a bad enough English so they couldn't say more?

AND - WHY do you think i look down on Thai?

WHY?

You know, I always wondered why there are so many mediocre people hanging around in Thailand who have little else to do than just bashing on foreigners without any reason.

I won't even feel sorry for your low grade.

What does the future hold for Thailand?

More corruption, more censorship, more murderers free of charge, specially when they come from a noble family, longer protests, and trillion kachillians of reforms and snap elections that will never ever end, more ricebergs, more first car SCAM-bergs, more damn-bergs, more insufficient train system derailments, more bus and van accidents, more tourist rip-offs, more brainwashing of children, more frustrating exam SCAM policies, the list goes on....

• Like 1

Interesting the SET actually went up yesterday the dollar dropped below 33. The dollar I understand. The SET that was no accident.

Do a bit of research and you will find that Thailand has actually been like this for years.

For us will it effect us, more then likely not.

The University student that is interesting, supposedly from the Anti Government view is ISSAN has the people who are not smart enough to vote.

The irony is, how dumb would a farmer have to be to say "no. I am a man of principle and I won't take your handout".

And they say the farmers are dumb. I await sutheps council explaining to the farmers how much better life will be for them once they cut all the subsidies that have been offered to them.

JFK - "Ask not what your country can do for you..................."

Of course, there's not much of that attitude amongst Thaksin supporters (and Thaksin is certainly not evev a poor copy of JFK) it's more appeal to their pockets and win their venal little hearts forever.

Close - but no cigar: The real problem is that Thaksin has always put his own interests first - he's a parasite.

You say that as though he was a lone example of self interest in a general climate of transparent governance..

Hes no worse than the entrenched powers that be, in fact he actually did something for the poor, hence why hes still got a majority despite all his failings.

Hes just not old school power.. Didnt go the the Prem school in Mae Rim.. Not one of the young turks who unofficially rule via military power bases.. This is about ensuring that group keep power via a 'peoples council' instead of letting the population decide.

He is no worse than who ???? did what for the poor----only a carrot---and since what has been taken from this country. ???

another one with memory loss.

he should not enter the equation -he does not want to have anything to do with politics any more--HE said it.

after he ran to the Beijing Olympics.

convicted.

he shouldn't have any 48% (majority) he has nothing to do with it at all only Stirring the hornets nest and his sister does for him---sick politics

This is a good and thoughtful article from Achara Deboonme. (Maybe there's hope for 'The Nation' yet), although I'm not convinced that the answer lies in another intervention by the Army. Doesn't Thailand have to grow out of that at some point and stick to following election results, as other (more successful) countries do? His article mentions rationality, and that's clearly what is important for business-people, who generally are not interested in name-calling. They want a stable situation, and (as Achara D says) would like to know that the major investment programmes that have been laid out actually happen. All sorts of other changes are needed too (e.g. in improving education and environmental policy) and these are unlikely to happen while some Thais (and farangs) keep on believing Thailand's problems are all due to 'the evil Shinewatras' and that the country must be held to ransom in order to 'root them out'.

30-40 million Thais are not smart enough to understand the implications of their vote. So say the establishment/protesters and their foreign backed and elite investors. "We need a people's council made up of "appointed' legislatures. This a masking for keep up the systems that we have, let's just "print up" a new scorecard and lineup. We will do it Suthep says. Actually, Sutheps' movement is anarchy - closing down government offices, breaking through government facilities with trucks, and threatening to take over air control and major roads. The military should step in if the police can't handle this.

Presumably directed by the wanted criminal overseas Thaksin who has his own 'elite' and 'establishment' lined up. You will find them at some trough or another.

This is a good and thoughtful article from Achara Deboonme. (Maybe there's hope for 'The Nation' yet), although I'm not convinced that the answer lies in another intervention by the Army. Doesn't Thailand have to grow out of that at some point and stick to following election results, as other (more successful) countries do? His article mentions rationality, and that's clearly what is important for business-people, who generally are not interested in name-calling. They want a stable situation, and (as Achara D says) would like to know that the major investment programmes that have been laid out actually happen. All sorts of other changes are needed too (e.g. in improving education and environmental policy) and these are unlikely to happen while some Thais (and farangs) keep on believing Thailand's problems are all due to 'the evil Shinewatras' and that the country must be held to ransom in order to 'root them out'.

So I guess this is one of the 'Its Not About Thaksin, contributions. Rooting out the Shinawatras a good idea though even if it contradicts what is being said out of one side of the mouth.

What is bad for Thailand is good for its neighboring countries. I can just imagine Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam licking their chops and rubbing their hands seeing Good Ole Thailand - Land of the Free go down the drain - Thanks to Suthep and his followers. Hmmmm. Interesting. Innnnterestiiiing.

Looks great for some when people think Suthep did all this, he seemingly has made not a single policy in the modern-privatized 'kneecapping' style. Those licking their chops are probably newly set-up offshore Thai businesses.

These are in-part ASEAN's desired reforms too, they want only strict control and discipline over which fingers are in the pies. Thailand is way way too prosperous to head into the future being such easy pickings for corrupt individuals. The corrupt individual is being pushed to give way to the much more discreet corrupt multinational conglomerate, that will be veiled as a shiny new progress machine, yet the culture of individual 'one-uppance' must be sorted out first as it doesn't fit with the culture of quietly selling off and buying up everything that has not been nailed down.

Whose name signs on the line?

Thaksin's wealth is hardly relative to his massive influence, which is hardly culturally sensitive on his part. He is a queue-jumper in the elite's world. Both him and Suthep are playing huge roles in potentially setting the new standards of law and order for all these other nation's supposedly stealing Thailand's thunder. Could just give rise to a new regional model with the reformed Thai's as the regional leaders.

The Land of the Free, just trying to finish off what they started 20-odd years ago, The Land of the Freely Bought, Sold and Traded Worldwide Inc. Sadly certain big companies prosper from war too.

Interesting indeed. If it's a bit staged then it sets the Thai's in good stead to justify maybe first privatizing the cop shops and reforming customs on the borders to 'shine' up the appearances; and if it's all a bit too real then ignorance won't bring any more bliss, it'll just see you as an easily manipulated pawn in a rich man's blood feud wearing a cheap coloured tshirt that might have, God forbid, been manufactured in Cambodia or Bangladesh...

With the advancement of internet communication and other modem technology, businesses should consider relocating their operations to other more conducive locations. Tour operators should promote more of other destinations with low priority for BKK. Government should show example by preparing to relocate their office to higher ground as BKK is sinking. Those working in BKK from other provinces should go back to help with the growth and development of their home province. BKK can be turned into farm land gradually with the help of Chao Phraya River for irrigation.

It's rather interesting where Thailand denote ourselves as the central of AEC, leader of AEC, gateway to Indochina hh etc. I was traveling in the ASEAN region and China for the past few years. People there hardly notice the concept off AEC, fascinating isn't it? :D

He is no worse than who ???? did what for the poor----only a carrot---

Medical coverage.

Minimum wage rises

Rice price fixing (economics or not its wealth redistribution to the poor)

Village credit handouts

I dont know if you have seen what has happened to the north east in the last 15 or so years.. But they have rapidly entered a much more comfortable living situation.. In part thansk to policies he pursued.

I wouldnt vote for him, but I fully understand why, after decades of being totally ignored and told to be happy with their lot (sufficiency economy!!!) and simly stay poor, why they do.

• Like 1

He is no worse than who ???? did what for the poor----only a carrot---

Medical coverage.

Minimum wage rises

Rice price fixing (economics or not its wealth redistribution to the poor)

Village credit handouts

I dont know if you have seen what has happened to the north east in the last 15 or so years.. But they have rapidly entered a much more comfortable living situation.. In part thansk to policies he pursued.

I wouldnt vote for him, but I fully understand why, after decades of being totally ignored and told to be happy with their lot (sufficiency economy!!!) and simly stay poor, why they do.

He introduced a 30 baht scheme---Abhasit scrapped it. Yingluck reinstated it. ???

Minimum wage--- first year in office (Yingluck) only 7 provinces, but the laugh was in these 7 they were paying it already.

Rice ?? we all know the story on this, the large farmer only prospered, and to this day they are owed money for months and still waiting.

Villagers-in many areas got credits, but had to show faith to the party-or else.

South Thailand was told by Thaksin--True if you do not vote for us you will not receive anything... the words I don't have but that was the gist of it.

But you forgot the carrot bit.

Most of my time living in RURAL Issan, in many areas they are scraping for a living.