Dogs run free--barkers, chasers, and biters INSIDE THE MOAT

zazezo

I live inside the moat, and travel by bicycle. Yesterday I had three seperate encounters with three different dogs--one just barking, the other two involved attack mode. These dogs are not soi dogs--they have "owners." The last incident was at Wat Phrasing, inside the temple grounds, late evening. While walking home, along the main road which runs through the wat I was accosted by a large dog which clearly intended to bite me. This was prevented by a boy-monk who finally grabbed it by the collar.

The middle-aged Thai woman who cooks at the place I live was savaged by her OWN DOG, and

underwent the treatment for rabies. There seems to be no requirement for vaccination, and no requirement

that owners keep their dogs on their own property, even in a built-up metropolitan area.

One might dare to hope that there would be some limit to foolishness which is officially permitted--but in a place where the concept of "public safety" is an oxymoron, that hope would be in vain.

I have been here long enough to understand that nobody accepts any responsibility for anything.

Thailand, the land of "It's not my job!" Unless a "pu-yai" is personally affected,

THERE IS NO PROBLEM--the public be damned.

I recall a national leader, long ago, in a country far, far away, who placed upon his desk a sign which read: "The Buck Stops Here." Thailand could use a bit of that.

Your suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.

Ride all the time inside the moat never had a problem .... But agree too many dogs un attended but that's life most are very friendly and I have found that soi dogs are much smarter than your average pooch. I guess the not so smart one are already road kill ....

cycling tip ... don't cycle.

When I first came to Thailand, I set out to explore the soys of the city by foot and by bicycle. After a few close calls with some menacing dogs, I gave up that ambition. You'll get tips on this forum such as carry a spray bottle with ammonia, blowing a whistle, etc. But often dogs come out of nowhere and have enough time to bite you before you can react. Stay away from temple grounds in the early and late hours or if you're the only person there. Consider moving to a safer neighbourhood and riding a scooter instead.

• Like 1

Take a spray can,paint,fly spray,they'll think twice about running up on anyone. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah just get shot by the owners instead biggrin.png

A small bag of chilli powder might be easier to carry - or a Walther P22 biggrin.png

//Edit: Typo

Are TASARS available here?

• Like 1

what has worked for me with dogs is to pretend to pick up a stone off the ground , works everytime, the dogs run away, was surrounded by 5 one evening, made the motions of picking up a stone and about to throw it and bingo they ran.

Kinda difficult on a bike like...

Take a spray can,paint,fly spray,they'll think twice about running up on anyone. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A small bag of chilli powder might be easier to carry - or a Walther P22 biggrin.png

Nevermind your what ifs durrbrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I had to kick one int he face a few years ago as it lunged at me. The owner came outside to yell at me and slunk away after I went off on him. I then went to the night bazaar and bought a telescoping baton. The simple act of extending it stopped every dog, never had to hit a dog, so it was a win win.

I'm curious about the telescoping baton. Do you have a photo of it, or can you find a photo online and post it?

Another option might be a product similar to Halt dog repellent. But, who knows where to buy this kind of pepper spray in Thailand? The spray is projected in a stream for 3-4 meters (up to 12 feet). I know that there are some pepper sprays available locally that have a fanned-out spray pattern; this wouldn't be very practical against a charging dog.

post-55993-0-07792500-1389705780_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ride all the time inside the moat never had a problem .... But agree too many dogs un attended but that's life most are very friendly and I have found that soi dogs are much smarter than your average pooch. I guess the not so smart one are already road kill ....

Speaking of road kill - I have been in Thailand nearly 15 years and have yet to see a dead dog in the street. Is it because they are so street smart or just damn lucky? Or the bodies are scooped up quickly by someone?

• Like 1

In my life experience I noticed 99% of dogs acting like they will bite are mostly bark and growl. Stand up for yourself and usually you will be ok. It just pisses me off that they think they can win against someone 10 times their weight and size.

• Like 1

Speaking of road kill - I have been in Thailand nearly 15 years and have yet to see a dead dog in the street. Is it because they are so street smart or just dam_n lucky? Or the bodies are scooped up quickly by someone?

Yeah mate, there is a 24 hour company going around shoveling them up. Or it could be the never ending traffic constantly mashing them into the road surface, heat, rain, birds and insects...

• Like 1

i loath the dogs and they are a menace here especially in moo baans where irresponsible owners (nearly all Thai) just open the gates and let them roam

lots of good advice here

I have one of those 'collapsing batons' too but i keep forgetting it lol. one of the best piece of advice is do not walk or cycle at dusk or at night unless in a populated area

this is the "Wild East' best not to forget it

• Like 1

some otherwise very nice Moo baans have been ruined because of the dogs. Most have owners, and some feed the soi dogs, and then don't claim they own them. Mace is not available in Thailand, I even emailed the company to try and find it. There are some other varieties at the Night Bazaar, but it may be illegal. Rabies shots sound awful.

• Like 1

Speaking of road kill - I have been in Thailand nearly 15 years and have yet to see a dead dog in the street. Is it because they are so street smart or just dam_n lucky? Or the bodies are scooped up quickly by someone?

Dog got hit the other day outside my house (shame because it was a nice dog). It was late, gone midnight. It was there when I walked over to 7-11 an hour later, but was gone in the morning - so I guess they do get picked up pretty quick.

Are TASARS available here?

Yes, go to a big weekend market, you should find a stall or 2 with batons, tasers, and even fun-size baseball bats :)

re

Yes, go to a big weekend market, you should find a stall or 2 with batons, tasers, and even fun-size baseball bats

hes right :)

re

Rabies shots sound awful.

no it isnt ! .. they are 5 totaly painless injetcions in your

arm over one month ... not 6 !

and cost you about two thousand baht !

dave2

post-42592-0-41995300-1389746778_thumb.j

post-42592-0-68624500-1389746830_thumb.j

welcome to thailand !

cycling tip... dusk, dawn and dark dogs are much more active.

Ride in the middle of the heat. Animals can't sweat and need to pant and remain inactive to stay cool.

Dogs sweat thrue their paws and mounth...Just thought you should know..

I just got back from riding my motorbike from Pattaya to Phetchabun, Nong Khai, Chaiapum, Korat and back and saw many dead dogs at the side of roads. They should enforce collar wearing and being leashed to prevent them running into the road. Not so bad in a car, but on a motorbike easy to cause a bad accident.

Had the same problem in my area last year. I sprayed 2 savage dogs with pepper spray. It really worked and they avoid me like the plague now. Didn't kill them but it gave them a painful lesson and I've had no further problems with them chasing me.

• Like 2