New eco car. Yaris/Almera/Brio etc. Please help!

Thaiwi

Hello all,

Long time watcher first time poster. Just a few questions regarding the above 3 cars. The lady is expecting and it's time for me to put the Mortorsai away.

I've been looking at the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Almera and Brio Amaze and will be doing both open road and city driving. I'm curious as to which will suit better or if anyone has anything to keep in mind before I check them out in the flesh. Bearing in mind there will be 3 of us plus a bit of luggage.

From research, I've come down to these three from the range of eco cars currently available, I'd love to get something bigger but the budget simply doesn't allow for it so I've gotta make do. I've heard the Almera dispised hills, the honda feels plastic and crap inside and well, the partner is set on the Yaris without even stepping foot in the thing.

I'll be getting an AT version of whatever I end up with so she can drive it too. Is there anyone here that owns either of these and can help with my decision, or anyone who has any decent info to pass on? Not sure why, but my brain said automatically no to the Attrage, and i've read a bit about the swift befriending rust after less than a year.

I'm not looking to start a s**t fight about why I should get the swift because that's what they'd have etc.... just genuine helpful comments. Much appreciated.
Also, I have trawled through TV but haven't found the exact info I'm after, my Thai leaves a lot to be desired and the Lady, like many is more interested in looks than the pros/cons of such a vehicle. Sp, as above any help is much appreciated!

Here's to my first post and many more!

Cheers.

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget is sitting at 550K tops. That is what I set it at when starting the hunt. But actually typing it intto the keyboard, 600K doesn't really seem that much more. It will be finance, just the 30% deposit going down first.

I see your point when comparing them on Siamnewcar.com, but does the extra horse power really matter? For me the main requirement is something can actually go up hills etc, but still hold myself, the better half and our baby with room for our stuff in the back. A guy at my work has a jazz and the back seems rather small. There has been 5 of us in it before and it wasn't the easiest fit. Although I guess an Eco car isn't going to make it any better?

Edited by Thaiwi

Since 2nd hand cars have dropped a lot in price it might be worth considering.

My first car here in Thailand was a Honda City ZX 2006, I bought it in 2009 and had it until last year.

Only problem with the AC system and I also changed the battery but apart from that no problems.

Budget is sitting at 550K tops. That is what I set it at when starting the hunt. But actually typing it intto the keyboard, 600K doesn't really seem that much more. It will be finance, just the 30% deposit going down first.

I see your point when comparing them on Siamnewcar.com, but does the extra horse power really matter? For me the main requirement is something can actually go up hills etc, but still hold myself, the better half and our baby with room for our stuff in the back. A guy at my work has a jazz and the back seems rather small. There has been 5 of us in it before and it wasn't the easiest fit. Although I guess an Eco car isn't going to make it any better?

We have had a swift for about a year and I'm happy with that. You will notice the difference in power when you really load the car up. I find the swift has plenty of go with 2 adults + my son (close to 190Kg total). With three adults + son I can notice the difference. I think the jazz will be larger for rear passengers. With my seat right back, I could not sit in the passenger seat behind. That area is for my son. I think the almera will be larger inside, but not sure about the yaris. I think i read the almera and swift are the best selling eco cars at the moment, but sure the yaris will catch up. I recommend you drive each one, with your wife and salesperson as a passenger - then maybe compare it to the vios/jazz. Usually getting a test drive is no problem.

My opinion, after shopping around for a while. The jazz is not only a good looking small car, the interior space is larger than it looks because the rear seat folding system, but, over 600K, I think is overpriced even having a 1.5 engine. The new Yaris is comparable with the Jaz but better priced. The Almera, under 500K, is very well priced for what its offers. In that price is the only one with heater, alloy wheels, and breaking sensors. The 1.2 engine may be too small for its body size. If price matters, I think that the Almera may be a very good buy.

With more than 25% down may be possible to get 0% financing in some models. Something that may make a difference too. My only concern with Suzuki is the resell value.

• Like 1

If you can stretch to 584k then go for the Fiesta. It's miles better than any of the eco cars. The same could be said for the Honda City at 599k, but in my experience they're a bit thirsty.

If you really don't want the Swift then maybe take a look at the Kia Picanto. They're actually a really nice little car and well within your budget. http://www.kia.com/th/MODELS/Cars/Picantok1/Gallery/Exterior/index.htm

If you can stretch to 584k then go for the Fiesta. It's miles better than any of the eco cars. The same could be said for the Honda City at 599k, but in my experience they're a bit thirsty.

If you really don't want the Swift then maybe take a look at the Kia Picanto. They're actually a really nice little car and well within your budget. http://www.kia.com/th/MODELS/Cars/Picantok1/Gallery/Exterior/index.htm

Picanto are nice inside BUT NO ABS on the Thai models. I have a Mirage which is nice and surprisingly roomy inside.. Only let down is the seats.. They are <deleted> for a larger (normal human) person. I recently drove a Vios much more comfortable seats and decent power. Like others say IF you can afford it go for the next up. City. Vios. Fiesta

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

anyone know when the new Jazz will be released in thailand? will it have the 1 litre turbo (80 kw) engine? might be another contender for the OP (and me); depending on price of course!

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/small-passenger/honda/jazz/detroit-motor-show-honda-jazz-premiere-41008

world.honda.com/news/2014/4140113All-New-Fit-NAIAS/index.html

What was the last car you owned? That might help you understand what sort of HP you're going to be happy with.. Eco cars are Slow with a capital S :)

I have owned my Almera for a year now and it seems to run fine. With a three cylinder engine I cannot jump out in front of fast moving vehicles - I need time to build up speed but it seems to run okay and no mechanical problems so far.

I get in, start the car and the a/c and both work just fine - my major test.

The back seat is huge - I am six foot and can easily sit back there with plenty of legroom. It easily sits three family members and around town we have out four back there. The back seat does not fold down, if that is an issue. However, like most cars these days the trunk is also huge.

It's nothing fancy - basic transportation on the low end of the price range that is the right size for small, crowded city roads and fits my needs just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In my opinion try to see a Mazda 2 or a Fiesta. Both have pretty good deals out I believe. Fiesta had something like 70,000 Baht off at some time just a while back. So maybe some decent deal available. Both should go for under 600K. The Mazda 2 is list 595,000 I think.

The cheapest Auto Toyota Vios goes for 589,000 list.

From the 3 mentioned looks wise it would be the Yaris for me (and I never have been a Toyota fan). Haven't tried, so not sure the engine sucks or not....but believe it will be pretty similar to the other 3 cylinders in question.

why wasnt there any mention of the zillions on eco cars on alibaba. where can you buy these in thailand? or why cant you buy these in or get these to thailand?. there is also one or two from india that would suit me too. similar questions. i remain yours well and truly uncarred. buying into to this fiasco goes against the grain too much.

Edited by Big Pinkie

In my opinion try to see a Mazda 2 or a Fiesta. Both have pretty good deals out I believe. Fiesta had something like 70,000 Baht off at some time just a while back. So maybe some decent deal available. Both should go for under 600K. The Mazda 2 is list 595,000 I think.

The cheapest Auto Toyota Vios goes for 589,000 list.

From the 3 mentioned looks wise it would be the Yaris for me (and I never have been a Toyota fan). Haven't tried, so not sure the engine sucks or not....but believe it will be pretty similar to the other 3 cylinders in question.

Yaris is the newest from ECO cars here and has 4 cyl engine and only auto,so of course it's not a 'speedy' car,but got decent looks ... plenty of room and nice interior.....best choice now IMO.

why wasnt there any mention of the zillions on eco cars on alibaba. where can you buy these in thailand? or why cant you buy these in or get these to thailand?. there is also one or two from india that would suit me too. similar questions. i remain yours well and truly uncarred. buying into to this fiasco goes against the grain too much.

Why not e-mail Alibaba and wait for a reply from Aladdin and his magic lamp.

• Like 2

Here's why: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/435479-taxes-on-cars-in-thailand/

• Like 1

Saw a Fiesta 1000cc at Central Plaza, nice looking little motor.

Nice price at nearly 800K too! 125 hp / litre is nice output, and beats the 1.6 in that respect. Should have good economy too, but no manual transmission I believe.

City is a better all rounder. 125 Bhp and Service Centres that work as well.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Saw a Fiesta 1000cc at Central Plaza, nice looking little motor.

Nice price at nearly 800K too! 125 hp / litre is nice output, and beats the 1.6 in that respect. Should have good economy too, but no manual transmission I believe.

City is a better all rounder. 125 Bhp and Service Centres that work as well.coffee1.gif

As an Almera owner, I find the Honda City to be a much nicer, better looking car.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Out of those 3 I would have said Almera because of the space but I just saw the new yaris in our local shopping mall and it is alot bigger then the old models and looks much nicer too. have you considered the mitsubishi attrage?

Imo the best looking of all the eco cars.

Hey all,

Thanks for the valuable info. It's helped a lot and since seeing the Attrage in person my interest has been spiked. This and the Almera along with the Yaris are now heading the list.

Also a huge thanks to the Super Member who sent me a whole lot of useful first hand info. TV, you've made it a pleasure. I hope to report back in some time with a final verdict. If only peace would surface across the country. When pigs fly, right?

Cheers all.

Went to the Toyota dealer to have a look at the Yaris.. While bigger, with quite remarkable space in the back especially, it's also a little flimsier than the Yaris I drove in the US.

Foamy seats. Foamy foamy foamy seats..

And you can see that they skimped on lots of common stuff and materials. (No interior cover of the boot except on the high end model, really?) Didn't get to drive it (made an appointment) but did drive the brand new Corolla instead. Which is a world away from the Yaris (also price wise), but ok.

Then I drove the Suzuki Swift. Nice looking, but very limited space in the back. And as I was at Suzuki anyway, I also drove the Ertiga. The less said about that one the better. (It's their Avanza rival from Indonesia, aimed at Indonesian families with lots of kids. It's terrible in every way.)

So anyway, waiting to drive the Yaris. Never liked the looks of the Mirage/Attrage, but with so many people talking about it I'll take another look.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I did the test drive in the new Yaris few weeks ago and I got some weird impression about the transmission revving high...but it is a CVT,so it does not have the same feeling as the 'normal' auto transmission....and of course,it is a small 1.2 L engine,so can't drive it as a sport car(but it does have a 'sport' mode as I recon)....

Anyway,I like the car in comparison with the other ECO's and definitely will give it another test drive,just to drive the 'normal' way and not trying to burn tires...smile.png