AeroThai and SET are in protesters' sights

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shutting down AeroThai has no effect on air travel.

All commercial aircraft now have advance system to navigate, and auto pilot to avoid collision.

Suwannaphumi airport control can take over, or even Singapore Changi can take over the running of Thai airspace.

This is just civil disobedience. Don't dramatize it as a terrorist act, clashing plane on tall building etc (Sept 11).

What is worrying, but unlikely, if these students have knowledge of the AeroThai system?

Maybe I watch too much movies, can they reset flight path to create a minor accident just to teach Yingluck a lesson?

Shutting down AeroThai has no effect on air travel.

All commercial aircraft now have advance system to navigate, and auto pilot to avoid collision.

Suwannaphumi airport control can take over, or even Singapore Changi can take over the running of Thai airspace.

This is just civil disobedience. Don't dramatize it as a terrorist act, clashing plane on tall building etc (Sept 11).

What is worrying, but unlikely, if these students have knowledge of the AeroThai system?

Maybe I watch too much movies, can they reset flight path to create a minor accident just to teach Yingluck a lesson?

It's not the movies, don't worry!

It's the drugs!

• Like 1

... and the moral of the story? Actions speak louder than words. wink.png

If you teach kids how to make bombs, instead of teach them to think on their own - someone is going to get hurt eventually.

Having worked at Aero Thai and seeing them attend regular safety management courses, including the closure of various ATC operation centers, I can confirm that International Civil Aviation Organization standards are in operation and that there are various contingency plans to transfer ATC operations to multiple locations in Bangkok and Thailand.

The Thung Maha Mek centre manages airspace outside of airports - across the country. Their operations are entirely computer based and can be operated online in a number of different locations, as well as from military facilities.

I wouldn't expect a single flight to be impeded by this action. So time to relax and put the terrorist theories to bed.

• Like 1

From July, 2012...
Radar problem causes flight delay at Suvarnabhumi airport
BANGKOK, June 22 – The power supply from an uninterruptible power source (UPS) caused problems for radar controlling flights landing at Suvarnabhumi airport, forcing some aircraft to land at U-Tapao Airport in Rayong-Chon Buri provinces, according to Deputy Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt.
U-Tapao is 115 kilometres (about 70 miles) from Suvarnabhumi airport.
Mr Chadchart said that the UPS supplying electricity for the radar system experienced problem on Thursday evening, and the back-up power supply was not working. Engineers took around 40 minutes to repair.
During the time that there was no radar system functioning, some flights were waiting, queuing to land at Suvarnabhumi airport, but six flights were running out of fuel and opted to land at U-Tapao without any safety problems.
The aircraft re-fueled at U-Tapao before returning to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport.
He said that radar at Don Mueang airport was also not working given that it was under the single aircraft navigation system covering both Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi. Each airport facilitates incoming flights with its own control tower's navigation system only when aircraft enter a 10km radius of the airport.
A back-up radar system that could cover both airports together is at Thung Maha Mek and could operate effectively, but there was no staff manning the system at the time when it was needed, when there was power supply problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564534-power-cut-causes-flight-delays-at-both-suvarnabhumi-and-don-mueang-airports/

So yes, just relax, everything will be fine.

"Government buildings will be completely shut down in the next few days. I will take the lead," said Suthep.

He's taking the lead of terrorism at all time, and this is what he's up to after the government would be down,"the lead"

Followers still not understand that he is dangerous for mankind, let's hope the special forces, troops that protect this government buildings will get a hand on him.

I f this is indeed "terrorism" - and I really don't want some US definition of that brandished under my nose as it has a much use as a Shinawatra in a paddy field - then what happened in 2010 was equally the same.

Punish those who are first in the queue, then the next batch.

It is fine to start with a campaign and accept support from all those that have an interest in your stance. However when you allow others to take over or mismanage your plans then it is not your campaign and you have created an achilles heel. The students have proven they are a law onto themselves and the game plan is not going as smoothly as Suthep thought it would. The effect to take over AEROTHAI to some posters does not matter so much if each of the airports can rely on running their operations without it. However one TV poster mentioned that RTAF do need the services of AEROTHAI, then the Military must act. Terrorism is all that this campaign has been about but the students are spearheading it into a collision course with those that do not wish to be involved.

Maybe this is all a cunning ruse by Suthep. Use the brainwashed students to do something which unquestionably would lead to the arm of the military having to step in. Goal achieved by Suthep and all the while he can claim he 'never wanted that' and it had 'nothing to do with him' as despite quitting politics for good he under duress accepts to step is as secretary general to the appointed council, with his step son the leader.

This is what suthep has been trying to do for the past 10 weeks, provoke the government to attack that way he and abhisit may not look as bad in contrast at their murder trail! I must say that PM Shinawatra has played her hand very cool and very well, world governmental leaders as well as the U.N. are finally speaking out against suthep and his anticsthumbsup.gif One false move by suthep now (especially dealing with the Thai ATC system or the Thai stock exchange) and the Thai government will have world support in squashing suthep and his thugs in any manor they choose wai2.gif

The only hand Yingluck plays is the one on the Skype button.

• Like 1

Having seen fist fights break out at Novosibirsk airport when there was an announcement of flight cancellations because of appalling weather, it would be interesting to see the reaction of hundreds of Russians to the news that they could not go home. I am sure they would be quickly joined by the Brits ( you know we love a good scrap ) and others.

Allowing the closure of air traffic control is unthinkable, if they go ahead and try the stakes have jumped considerably, confrontation is inevitable.

Quite, and that is what this is all about. We all know that Suthep's only hope is a military coup. All his strutting and ranting in a poor imitation of Mussolini will achieve nothing, eventually everybody will become bored by the old fool and just ignore him. He knows that ,too, which is why he has split his troops into two factions:-

Mr. Nice Guy's middle class whistle blowers, "but WE would never do anything bad, so you can't blame us!" and the hard-core thugs in the second group in whose name the real violence and terrorism will be unleashed.

• Like 2

I'll be inbound from Tokyo at 8:00 pm.

wonderful.

If they do something stupid, i will be surprised if it is not quashed quickly. The foreign airlines have delivered a very strong warning to the government of Thailand as to what they will do if there is a repeat of the last airport adventure. It cost them millions of $$ and this time around, they won't accept it. Several foreign governments have all had a word with their contacts in the Thai government and military.

You are very well informed. You obviously have reliable sources in the Thai caretaker government and military, and now seemingly in several overseas governments too.

Go on, tell us. Are you really James Bond whistling.gif ?

If there is a military coup, which I think is extremely unlikely. It will not be on Sutheps terms. It would have to appease the reds and I would suspect the election would simply be postponed 2 or 3 months, allowing a cooling off period and hopefully the disappearance of Suthep.

• Like 1

I thought they (whichever group it was - can't be bothered to keep up with the acronyms anymore) said, and promised (?) to leave the SET and AeroThai alone? If thy disrupt air traffic, it is worse than closing down Suvarnabhumi. At least flights could still land at Utapao back in 2008. If they really cause disruption to air traffic control and affect flights in, out and through Thai airspace, I think this bunch, in my opnion, is just as bad as the Reds burning down BKK in 2010. Maybe worse.

Indeed they should be charged with terrorism. Some of these people think they can interfere with air traffic control with impunity?. Think again...they will lose (the very little remaining) support in the international community. This is an idiotic but not surprising move by this nasty fringe group of thugs.

What is The Nation not telling you? The story says staff from the National Economic and Social Development Board walked out of the office to the applause of protesters. That part might be true . What we are NOT told by The Nation is that those same staff were told by the protesters to leave the building or be dragged out ( as reported in other Thai and foreign media).

The Nation's selective reporting of the facts goes on and on

Should suthep and his thugs be stupid enough to overtake the ATC system and harm came to any passenger as a result of it, then the ICAO could bring charges against suthep at the international criminal court in the Hague wink.png Come to think of it, as weak as the Thai judicial system is against Thais (especially corrupt highly placed Thais) perhaps this is the only way that suthep could likely be imprisoned for the remainder of his life whistling.gif

Before you start flapping about with aviation, you need to understand a few things.

If ATC and all it's back ups and redundancy were compromised, all aircraft carry sufficient fuel to divert to an alternative airport. Inconvenient for sure but not in itself any more of a danger than a power cut (already happened) or fog or snow.

Secondly, this is not Suthep - this is the students.

The rest of your post isn't worth any comments

"secondly, this is not Suthep - this is the students...."

This make all your comments unreliable.

It is Suthep who started the terrorism, It is Suthep who came with the idea, it is Suthep who let the students join his protests, so don't try to convince others to believe Suthep is non violence . He is a nr 1 Terrorist who hopefully get stopped soon.

You don't need to like Taksin, neither do I , but if Thailand and the majority of people living here gather with this terrorist Suthep, soon there will be nothing more to like .

• Like 2

yesterday pdrc said, that they are not planning to close stock exchange and air traffic, today students confirm their earlier plan to do so.

surely, this is beyond threatening, as speculated here on forums.

maybe it's a way of begging money from some industrialists and from thai airways?

All they will get is a beat down from the special units on standby.

I have said these before. PDRC chief Suthep Thaugsuban has no control over these students.

Since when student listen to grown-up.

If there is an accident due to lack of resources at AeroThai end, Thaksin/Yingluck will have to take responsibilty.

To h-ll with those students, it is Suthep and the PDRC who will be to blame, It is not Thaksin or Yingluck, and I am not a supporter of any Thai political party.

yesterday pdrc said, that they are not planning to close stock exchange and air traffic, today students confirm their earlier plan to do so.

surely, this is beyond threatening, as speculated here on forums.

maybe it's a way of begging money from some industrialists and from thai airways?

All they will get is a beat down from the special units on standby.

I have said these before. PDRC chief Suthep Thaugsuban has no control over these students.

Since when student listen to grown-up.

If there is an accident due to lack of resources at AeroThai end, Thaksin/Yingluck will have to take responsibilty.

To h-ll with those students, it is Suthep and the PDRC who will be to blame, It is not Thaksin or Yingluck, and I am not a supporter of any Thai political party.

Please don't blame Suthep.

The students are independent.

Suthep did try to advise them not to proceed, but that is the limit of his involvement.

Edited by spare5

It is fine to start with a campaign and accept support from all those that have an interest in your stance. However when you allow others to take over or mismanage your plans then it is not your campaign and you have created an achilles heel. The students have proven they are a law onto themselves and the game plan is not going as smoothly as Suthep thought it would. The effect to take over AEROTHAI to some posters does not matter so much if each of the airports can rely on running their operations without it. However one TV poster mentioned that RTAF do need the services of AEROTHAI, then the Military must act. Terrorism is all that this campaign has been about but the students are spearheading it into a collision course with those that do not wish to be involved.

Maybe this is all a cunning ruse by Suthep. Use the brainwashed students to do something which unquestionably would lead to the arm of the military having to step in. Goal achieved by Suthep and all the while he can claim he 'never wanted that' and it had 'nothing to do with him' as despite quitting politics for good he under duress accepts to step is as secretary general to the appointed council, with his step son the leader.

I know this area well... There are tens of thousands of small appartments there where many BKK taxi drivers live. The Students would be trapped in that maze of tiny alleys and rich pickings for their enemies. This guy leading them is not only a real thug... he looks like one as well.

He is also desperate. At this late stage he is "threatening to bring in more people" These are un-doubtedly the guys who will will enforce Suthep dictats if thailand goes mad and he gets his way.... be very very scared Bangkok!! http://news.asiainterlaw.com/?p=8887

• Like 1

Spare5 wrote:

Please don't blame Suthep.

The students are independent.

Suthep did try to advise them not to proceed, but that is the limit of his involvement.

How can you say this? There is no one else to blame but Suthep. He started this, he owns it, and when the cr@p hits the fan he will own the mess.

• Like 2

" If any PDRC ally decided to disrupt key transport systems, Akanat said, the group would negotiate with them and they would be unlikely to make any move beyond the PDRC's resolutions. "

The PDRC has made clear that there will be no movement towards disruption of these vital areas. The STR has expressed an opposing - and dangerous view - that could lead to tip the momentum of the protest away from it's objective - to persuade the Yingluck administration to step down - in as peaceful and non-disruptive manner reasonably possible. It is hoped that the PDRC will indeed be able to prevail in negotiations with the STR, and such plans abandoned.

Thailand - hub of unsafe air travel. These idiots do not vrealize (or do not care) that ATC covers not only arriving and departing flights but also those overflying. Given Thailand's location, there is quite a lot of the latter.

Unfortunately international consensus is already against them. However it will be far worse if they try to mess with air traffic control and no doubt endangering lives of the flying public.

Interfering with ATC is indeed dangerous and would inevitably lead to swift retaliatory action. Diversion is not an easy alternative! At the point of interruption, there would be a large number of aircraft already in the air, some on 12 hour flights, who would already have taken off with flight planning into BKK. It is not easy for alternates to just accept a mass of unexpected arrivals in their already stretched landing patterns, yet aircraft cannot just remain in the sky until matters are clarified!

Full of talk as always, I would bet everything on them not going near either place. The Thai army / police will not just let them stroll into either place, the full works will be out to greet them.

So sad to see students fighting for fascism.

From what I've seen, these guys do not seem to be real "students". Unless they are attending borstals and other reform schools.

Ex-students maybe.

A few probably have never seen the inside of a classroom for years.

From the press photos, they are all men too - if they represent students, surely there must be some females too.

Everyone talking up the disastrous consequences of AeroThai being blockaded you are really not helping Yingluck and her pals by ratcheting up the panic.

If you really think that Suvarnabumh's arrivals and departures are all controlled from an office building in downtown Bangkok, you are either hopelessly naive or just plain stupid.

Aerothai's office does have a back-up system for directing flights through Thai airspace and Aerothai's management operate from their office.

What a bunch of hysterical old women you all are.

Full of talk as always, I would bet everything on them not going near either place. The Thai army / police will not just let them stroll into either place, the full works will be out to greet them.

So sad to see students fighting for fascism.

From what I've seen, these guys do not seem to be real "students". Unless they are attending borstals and other reform schools.

Ex-students maybe.

A few probably have never seen the inside of a classroom for years.

From the press photos, they are all men too - if they represent students, surely there must be some females too.

Never heard of boys school?

Especially Catholic one?