Does the EC have a hidden agenda over poll date?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Does the EC have a hidden agenda over poll date?

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The question of whether the February 2 election should be postponed lingers on. And this has led to another question: If the poll has to be postponed, who will do it and by what legal means?

The Election Commission (EC) has made it clear it wants the election to be postponed. In mid-December, less than a week after the five election commissioners assumed their office, they suggested the government put off the election. Some EC members also threatened to "exercise their individual rights" in making some decisions, which led to speculation they might resign their seats, which would lead to a vacuum. However, that has not taken place so far.

Later, the registration of election candidates in Bangkok and the provinces was disrupted by protesters. The EC refused to change the venues despite the anticipated interference. As a result, many constituencies in the South have no election candidates. Instead, it used this as an argument to seek an election postponement again.

The Constitution states that the 500-seat House of Representatives is deemed operational only when the elected number of MPs reaches 95 per cent of the total, or 475.

The Auditor General's Office suggested a postponement on grounds that the Bt3.8 billion to be spent on holding the February 2 election would be wasted as the likelihood was high of another election being organised shortly afterwards.

The EC once again found a new excuse to seek postponement of the election. It suggested a new royal decree for the election be issued, but the agency failed to identify any other legal means that would allow a new election to be called.

When asked about this matter, the election commissioners declined to answer and instead sought a meeting between the caretaker prime minister and the EC chairman.

Why is the EC so eager to postpone the election when, according to the Constitution, the agency's main duty is to hold elections in a free and fair manner despite obstacles?

Some former members of the EC expressed their disagreement at the current election commissioners' stance, pointing out that the agency should be politically neutral and focus on the job of holding elections. But it appeared some EC members did not care much about dealing with the obstacles to holding the next election and instead set their sights firmly on an election postponement.

By focusing too much on the political situation, the election commissioners' neutrality has been questioned. Some former EC members suggested that if they really wanted the election to be postponed, at least three of the current election commissioners should simply resign their seats to make the election agency inoperable. As all five election commissioners have remained in their seats, critics suspect a hidden agenda.

The government appears unwilling to simply fall into the EC's trap. It is aware that by standing still over this matter, it would end up being accused of blocking attempts for a way out of the problem. So the government came up with the idea of holding a discussion between the EC, the government, political parties and other relevant agencies.

The intended goal was for the EC to explain its reasons for election postponement and legal facts supporting its call. It appears the government was convinced there were no laws that allowed postponement and that the other parties taking part in the government-organised meeting would end up criticising the EC and calling for the election to go ahead as planned.

The EC responded by refusing to take part in the meeting. It instead invited caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra to join a smaller group meeting. The argument was that this matter should only be discussed among the parties empowered to take action on the matter.

It appears the people who want the election to go ahead are fighting against not only the People's Democratic Reform Committee, whose "Bangkok shutdown" rally has attracted several thousand participants. Behind the PDRC is the towering shadow of the authority responsible for holding elections.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-16

• Like 1

By focusing too much on the political situation, the election commissioners' neutrality has been questioned. Some former EC members suggested that if they really wanted the election to be postponed, at least three of the current election commissioners should simply resign their seats to make the election agency inoperable. As all five election commissioners have remained in their seats, critics suspect a hidden agenda.

If you remember they were threatened with prison if they resigned.

It seems more like the government are starting to regret these elections, but not willing to fall on their sword and be accused of being unconstitutional by postponing it. They seem to want the EC to fall on 'their' swords which the EC seem equally unwilling to do.

Time is running out, there are a bunch of provinces in the south that are nowhere near to being able to hold an election. They can't find venues for thousands of polling stations and there is a shortfall of 140,000 polling officials to run the ballots. It is so bad in fact that a constitutional decree may be issued to hold a gun to the heads of random civil servants and force them to run the polls.

That is the calamity that this February election is, and I am not surprised that neither the EC nor the Government have the stomach for it... Lets face it, how many PT campaigners have you seen in the streets for this particular election?.... I rest my case.

Nobody want them now, but each one is pointing at the other to fall on their swords.

Edited by poisonus
  • Like 1

If you believe strongly enough in something prison isnt a deterrent.

its 14,000 btw not 140,000 and they just have to do the job they are paid to do, organise and run the election process. They are supposed to be neutral and impartial the PT campaigners i believe are extremely active and bkk isnt a priority plus with the current protests also not the best place to be out lobbying. Friends tell me there is the usual pre election bustle going on as youd expect in all regions they live in and PT are out along with the other parties taking part as usual.

BKK is not a gauge meter for the rest of the country, contrary to the Bangkokorians belief it is ;)

Edited by englishoak

I extended my post.

I extended my post.

So did I ;)

Pretty simple.....

The EC took money from the man in Dubai. Now they see that the election will be very wrong, specially but not only in the south and they risk to go into jail later. So they beg the Shinawatras to postpone the date. And even they don't they have the excuse that they tried to fix things.

The EC is an lap dog of Suthep gang of terror.

Pretty simple.....

The EC took money from the man in Dubai. Now they see that the election will be very wrong, specially but not only in the south and they risk to go into jail later. So they beg the Shinawatras to postpone the date. And even they don't they have the excuse that they tried to fix things.

Ok, kids, which conspiracy theory is going to win. facepalm.gif

Yes, it looks bad for the EC, they have screwed up badly. The problem of non registration occurred because it refused to consider alternative registration sites., but why? Are we now in one of the infamous face saving duels, or did someone put pressure on the EC not to have an election. Some will blame the bogeyman, Thaksin, but he has nothing to gain from a postponement or cancellation of the vote. Suthep? Well, we all know he ordered the registration sites to be blocked and he has said his intent is to stop the election, but could he have really accomplished that if the EC had been firm in its duty to make sure an election occurred. The EC could have used secure military venues in the south to accomplish its task had it asked for access and the military agreed.

Or maybe, just maybe, the EC officials gave a genuine fear of violence and/or resent the way they have been treated by everyone. Their job is to organize the election and they have basically said, they are unable to do that. That in itself speaks more about the state Thailand is in than the protests.

• Like 2

Thailand falls into ruin while the EC just sit and watch.

Haven't the EC always favoured the yellow gang? Aren't the EC also blocking the rice payments to the farmers? So how can a government work if these 5 people are refusing to cooperate with them? Yes, hidden agendas at the expense of the country, the EC couldn't give a damn about the country, its all about self interest and how much they will get paid under the table. They are simply blackmailing the government because they now have the power to do so. What a silly country this has become!

• Like 2

its 14,000 btw not 140,000 and they just have to do the job they are paid to do, organise and run the election process. They are supposed to be neutral and impartial the PT campaigners i believe are extremely active and bkk isnt a priority plus with the current protests also not the best place to be out lobbying. Friends tell me there is the usual pre election bustle going on as youd expect in all regions they live in and PT are out along with the other parties taking part as usual.

BKK is not a gauge meter for the rest of the country, contrary to the Bangkokorians belief it is wink.png

"Friends tell me there is the usual pre election bustle going on as youd expect in all regions they live in and PT are out along with the other parties taking part as usual."

I live in one of those regions, I don't need friends to tell me, I experience it first hand.

During the endless weeks before the last election, just like every other election I have lived through, there was a constant aural assault from speaker-vans shouting their favoured number.......

At the moment, all I can hear is my stomach rumbling, and one cockerel with poor eyesight.

• Like 1

BKK is not a gauge meter for the rest of the country, contrary to the Bangkokorians belief it is wink.png

"Friends tell me there is the usual pre election bustle going on as youd expect in all regions they live in and PT are out along with the other parties taking part as usual."

I live in one of those regions, I don't need friends to tell me, I experience it first hand.

During the endless weeks before the last election, just like every other election I have lived through, there was a constant aural assault from speaker-vans shouting their favoured number.......

At the moment, all I can hear is my stomach rumbling, and one cockerel with poor eyesight.

Count yourself lucky then they drive me nuts when they are at full throttle those megavans

If you regard 'prison not being a deterrent if you believe in something strongly enough then why didn't Thaksin serve his sentence like a good (bad) little boy?

What is a Bangkokorian by the way!!! Is it a librarian who works in Bangkok?

The EC are probably bought and paid for, their job is to run elections smoothly not tell the government when they can hold them or take sides. they are supposed to be impartial in their job and do it when asked by the gov and its legal to do so. the EC has failed to provide proof its illegal so should just get on and do their job or face being sacked.

The EC has shown itself to be anything but neutral, like so many areas that should be in this country another one pops up showing its compromised. Put the EC on the corrupted list and book em a room in Dubai

At this rate there wont be many left in Thailand except for the normal Thai people, farang, bars, girls and food stalls. Did I just paint utopia ?

Typical red bs. They don't bend to the will of the dear leader fugitive in Dubai so it's all some big conspiracy against him. Rubbish ! They are doing their job properly and refuse to alter the law for the Please Taksin cronies. Their job is to make sure the election happens properly which in this case it can't. The protestors blocked registration which may technically be against the law but that is out of the EC's hands. They have to work within the rules which state that the stations must be well publicized to everyone in advance and can't be changed at a whim to benefit certain people. They know the election on 2nd Feb will lead nowhere as there won't be a qorum, so what is the point ? Start again and do it properly and don't waste billions of baht for nothing. This IS their job whether you like it or not.

This bunch of EC commissioners had tarnished the reputation of EC. They should solve the mess they created. If they don't, legal actions should be taken against them. Perhaps, their 'masters' should come in now to bail them out.

This bunch of PT criminals had tarnished the reputation of Thailand and all Thai people. They should solve the mess they created. If they don't, legal actions should be taken against them. In fact regardless of whether they solve the mess or not ( and I am sure they won't ) they should all be put before the courts for their crimes against the kingdom whistling.gif ...

The EC are probably bought and paid for, their job is to run elections smoothly not tell the government when they can hold them or take sides. they are supposed to be impartial in their job and do it when asked by the gov and its legal to do so. the EC has failed to provide proof its illegal so should just get on and do their job or face being sacked.

The EC has shown itself to be anything but neutral, like so many areas that should be in this country another one pops up showing its compromised. Put the EC on the corrupted list and book em a room in Dubai

At this rate there wont be many left in Thailand except for the normal Thai people, farang, bars, girls and food stalls. Did I just paint utopia ?

Typical red bs. They don't bend to the will of the dear leader fugitive in Dubai so it's all some big conspiracy against him. Rubbish ! They are doing their job properly and refuse to alter the law for the Please Taksin cronies. Their job is to make sure the election happens properly which in this case it can't. The protestors blocked registration which may technically be against the law but that is out of the EC's hands. They have to work within the rules which state that the stations must be well publicized to everyone in advance and can't be changed at a whim to benefit certain people. They know the election on 2nd Feb will lead nowhere as there won't be a qorum, so what is the point ? Start again and do it properly and don't waste billions of baht for nothing. This IS their job whether you like it or not.

This government is getting rather good at frittering away tax payers money so why worry about another measly 3.8 billion baht?

Can you imagine what would happen if (I know it will never happen, thank god) they got hold of this 2.2 trillion baht? It would be a case of 'who wants some'!!! No, you don't have to justify where it goes - just be quiet about it and make sure that the boxes are stashed in a secure position in your home. One final thing, get good burglar alarms and if you are burgled don't let the police know, simply come and get some more as there is plenty available!!!

None of this 'brown envelope' business as that is old hat nowadays - apply direct!!

Of course they're not neutral. They are trying to reason with a caretaker PM/DM who is following instructions from a fugitive crook. The election must happen so they can get their hands on the 2.2 trillion. 350 billion. whitewash the crook and 24,999 others, and he can return and take over.

Maybe you should apply you logic to the caretaker government. They never did their job in accordance with their oaths, so they should be sacked, Isn't that what most protesters really want?

• Like 1

The first thing to do in Thailand would be to find a way to make the justice system fair and neutral.

It is nearly impossible in the present circumstances, and bias of the courts is always suspected.

This is why the government sticks to its stance that there is no law that allows to postpone the elections.

If the government takes the initiative to postpone, the government will be immediately brought to court for breaking the law.

The aim of the EC is clearly to make the election not happen. But at the same time the EC refuses to take the responsibility of the postponement.

Yingluck plays smart again :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing they have said or done would indicate a genuine interest in organising and conducting the election approved by HM The King

Not true. They have had to respond to the ongoing actions and events around them. Simply carrying on blinkered and ignoring realities might please the crook in Dubai but would not deliver a parliament and possible lead to more violence. Failing to point this out would be a serious dereliction of duty. 3.8 billion would disappear, from a government treasury that seems broke, and the result would not lead to enough MP's to convene parliament.

The EC have been crudely threatened by certain caretaker ministers with prison if they don't hold the election regardless. Yet, the caretaker PM/DM seemingly offered a postponement to the protest leaders, despite publicly saying its not legally possibly, like her resignation.

Against all this turbulence, and knowing the result will have to be void, due you think they should simply carry on and waist the money? Just to please the vanity of one fugitive.

The first thing to do in Thailand would be to find a way to make the justice system fair and neutral.

It is nearly impossible in the present circumstances, and bias of the courts is always suspected.

This is why the government sticks to its stance that there is no law that allows to postpone the elections.

If the government takes the initiative to postpone, the government will be immediately brought to court for breaking the law.

The aim of the EC is clearly to make the election not happen. But at the same time the EC refuses to take the responsibility of the postponement.

Yingluck plays smart again rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately the flaw in your argument, is linking PTP to the rule of law and fair justice. They have broke the law and ignore the consequences and refuse to discuss it or recognize the validity of the courts. They only accept laws and rulings they like.

A government cannot chose which laws it wants to obey, which it wants to ignore itself, and then impose selected laws on everyone else. PTP seem to think being elected means you and your members are above the law and can do this.

Perhaps a good start would be for the caretaker PM/DM and her cousin to publicly answer the Ombudsman's questions regarding the illegal issuing of a passport to her criminal fugitive brother. It's only been just over 2 years since he asked.

Yingluck does as she's told and simply ignores questions, laws, court rulings and anything else that's not in brother's interests.

• Like 2

This delightful red-shirt article states all the reasons why Thaksin hates the EC ( as well as all other branches of oversight ). And at the source of Thaksin's hate - and coincidentally the source of this article is the following stance -

Does the EC have a hidden agenda ?

The author of this article hedges with this issue in Hitchcockian fashion before revealing his beliefs in the final sentences of the article. His conclusion - you bet they are !

But along the way, he makes some pretty silly assumptions about the role of the EC. He asserts that they are responsible for whether an election takes place or not - regardless as to whether anyone can control the circumstances on the ground or not. He is wrong. The EC no more has the power to open constituencies that are physically blocked from registration, than the whole of the police department or the army have been able to. How can the EC accomplish this end without the aid of the police or army ? The fact that the army didn't want to intervene, and the fact that the police have never been able to intervene in anything in virtually their entire history - should be the real object of his criticism. So what is the EC actually empowered to do ?

They are empowered to monitor elections. They have a particular set of rules and timelines that they must follow. It is a considerable role. But it doesn't have the might of a gun behind it. The EC have stated that this election cannot be functionally held. They are correct. Can they form their own army, and carry weapons to polling stations to enforce it ? To even imply that they have that power is playing right into Thaksin's web of deception.

Forgetting the profound silliness of this article, let's focus on the administration's handling of the EC. They have done everything in their power to downplay the EC's constitutional role. Instead of talking with them directly ( although they had repeatedly - they just didn't like what the EC was saying ) they had the effrontery to ask them to join a forum where they could " explain " - presumably to the satisfaction or derision of whoever happened to be there. The administration might have as well invited the Constitution Court and other bodies the administration does not respect, so that they too can " explain " themselves.

Welcome to the Thaksin's ( and apparently the writer of this article ) contemptible view of government oversight.

• Like 1

Yingluck plays smart again rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately the flaw in your argument, is linking PTP to the rule of law and fair justice. They have broke the law and ignore the consequences and refuse to discuss it or recognize the validity of the courts. They only accept laws and rulings they like.

A government cannot chose which laws it wants to obey, which it wants to ignore itself, and then impose selected laws on everyone else. PTP seem to think being elected means you and your members are above the law and can do this.

Perhaps a good start would be for the caretaker PM/DM and her cousin to publicly answer the Ombudsman's questions regarding the illegal issuing of a passport to her criminal fugitive brother. It's only been just over 2 years since he asked.

Yingluck does as she's told and simply ignores questions, laws, court rulings and anything else that's not in brother's interests.

Red rule at it's finest!!!

I extended my post.

Yes, they may face goal time because if you read the constitution under the current circumstances with a caretaker government in power they would be faced with dereliction of duty charges as would the PM if she resigned. Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids! It makes one look like cannon fodder...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This delightful red-shirt article states all the reasons why Thaksin hates the EC ( as well as all other branches of oversight ). And at the source of Thaksin's hate - and coincidentally the source of this article is the following stance -

Does the EC have a hidden agenda ?

The author of this article hedges with this issue in Hitchcockian fashion before revealing his beliefs in the final sentences of the article. His conclusion - you bet they are !

But along the way, he makes some pretty silly assumptions about the role of the EC. He asserts that they are responsible for whether an election takes place or not - regardless as to whether anyone can control the circumstances on the ground or not. He is wrong. The EC no more has the power to open constituencies that are physically blocked from registration, than the whole of the police department or the army have been able to. How can the EC accomplish this end without the aid of the police or army ? The fact that the army didn't want to intervene, and the fact that the police have never been able to intervene in anything in virtually their entire history - should be the real object of his criticism. So what is the EC actually empowered to do ?

They are empowered to monitor elections. They have a particular set of rules and timelines that they must follow. It is a considerable role. But it doesn't have the might of a gun behind it. The EC have stated that this election cannot be functionally held. They are correct. Can they form their own army, and carry weapons to polling stations to enforce it ? To even imply that they have that power is playing right into Thaksin's web of deception.

Forgetting the profound silliness of this article, let's focus on the administration's handling of the EC. They have done everything in their power to downplay the EC's constitutional role. Instead of talking with them directly ( although they had repeatedly - they just didn't like what the EC was saying ) they had the effrontery to ask them to join a forum where they could " explain " - presumably to the satisfaction or derision of whoever happened to be there. The administration might have as well invited the Constitution Court and other bodies the administration does not respect, so that they too can " explain " themselves.

Welcome to the Thaksin's ( and apparently the writer of this article ) contemptible view of government oversight.

Eloquent and reasoned explanation - that will be dismissed by Thaksinites as rubbish as it doesn't fit in with the blinkered agenda set by..........well we all know who!!