Ailing Bangkok hotels beckon protesters

webfact

Hiso protesters stay in 5 starts Hotels.

Rice farming red shirts sleep on the street.

Kindly point out to me where it said that the protestors are sleeping at the hotels ? No ? Thought not.

They lowered their rates, that is the story here. Didn't say anything about protestors taking them up on it...

More red addled drivel...

• Like 1

"The people I know who attend the protests can't afford those rates either."

The poor dupes.

Very much doubt a fair majority of the people attending the ANTI government rallies voted them in huh.pngHowever, the latest news that those rice farmers, who did vote for them are on their way, wouldn't be able to afford the hotel rates, either.

Edited by jpeg

Too bad for the big hotel chains ...

They are the first to raise the rates when the going is good

Hope the have to drop the rates even further ..

I have no sympathy when organizations charge western rates but pay employees Thai wages

I'm guessing you do sympathize with these hotels then, since they are not really charging "Western rates".

Let's take a week in June when all this mess is over and prices are back to normal summer time fun in the west. I like Shangri-La.

B5490/night in Bangkok

B13300/night in Hong Kong

Sorry, Western cities... No Shangri-La... But how about Mandarin Oriental? Same week in June.

B9950/night in Bangkok

B28900/night in New York City... but that's NYC! Expensive!

B22800/night in San Francisco... Ok, US just sucks!

B30100/night in London.

Oh wait, those aren't Western companies... Four Seasons is!

B6500/night in Bangkok

B16600/night in Seattle. You can't compare Seattle with Bangkok...

So I don't see these companies charging "Western rates".

So they have reduced their rates to 3,00 or 2,200 or 1,500 for a day room. That says a lot about the people attending the demonstrations - most of the ordinary Thai people they are so scared of, couldn't afford these rates or anything like them.

So they offered a discount, was there anything in the article that said protestors are flocking to take them up on it ? NO ! Did they say business has improved at all ? NO !

As usual red addled brains trying to twist things to fit their argument. Stick to facts please....

In fact there are many reports that locals are taking advantage of these offers. Some hotels are @ 50% usual rate for room and for dining.

Show me please. "LOCALS"-----averaging 2,000 baht per night-re locals, you make it sound like Thai working class. No way . local Upper class YES.

Too bad for the big hotel chains ...

They are the first to raise the rates when the going is good

Hope the have to drop the rates even further ..

I have no sympathy when organizations charge western rates but pay employees Thai wages

I'm guessing you do sympathize with these hotels then, since they are not really charging "Western rates".

Let's take a week in June when all this mess is over and prices are back to normal summer time fun in the west. I like Shangri-La.

B5490/night in Bangkok

B13300/night in Hong Kong

Sorry, Western cities... No Shangri-La... But how about Mandarin Oriental? Same week in June.

B9950/night in Bangkok

B28900/night in New York City... but that's NYC! Expensive!

B22800/night in San Francisco... Ok, US just sucks!

B30100/night in London.

Oh wait, those aren't Western companies... Four Seasons is!

B6500/night in Bangkok

B16600/night in Seattle. You can't compare Seattle with Bangkok...

So I don't see these companies charging "Western rates".

Maybe not but they pay some cleaners etc. 300baht a day, maybe that could be the reason.

interesting posts here.

people, the protestors can't afford these rates, aka "the poor dupes"

Another mentions rice farmers can't afford them either.

So it makes me wonder, why all the mention that the protestors are

the rich elite? Seems to me like a pretty good mix of Thai people here.

Not all protestors are wearing expensive heels and diamond studded

wristwatches.

Why are the hotels harping about the protestors? Why don't they tell

the corrupt caretakers taking up space and sucking up taxpayer money

to do something like get out!?

My point being, the protestors don't seem to be the rich elite.

So basically these hotels are reducing their over priced rates to their deserved market pricing now. And so a discount of 1,500 to 2,000 baht is worth staying at a hotel at the front lines where violence could erupt at any time? How well would someone sleep?! How 'Thai' to offer such a discount trying to lure traveller's into the danger zones. Unless the rates include emergency evac and complimentary bullet proof vests? Yeah right. The Thai employees would abandon its guests at any moment of violence.

As other posters have pointed out, it is not at all "Thai" to reduce room rates when occupancy is low. This is a new and welcome idea. Long may it continue.

Not sure that the typical protester fodder from either side will be able to afford even the reduced rates, but maybe if a generous sponsor offers to subsidise further - maybe a good friend of the hotel owners?

So basically these hotels are reducing their over priced rates to their deserved market pricing now. And so a discount of 1,500 to 2,000 baht is worth staying at a hotel at the front lines where violence could erupt at any time? How well would someone sleep?! How 'Thai' to offer such a discount trying to lure traveller's into the danger zones. Unless the rates include emergency evac and complimentary bullet proof vests? Yeah right. The Thai employees would abandon its guests at any moment of violence.

As other posters have pointed out, it is not at all "Thai" to reduce room rates when occupancy is low. This is a new and welcome idea. Long may it continue.

Not sure that the typical protester fodder from either side will be able to afford even the reduced rates, but maybe if a generous sponsor offers to subsidise further - maybe a good friend of the hotel owners?

Usually the hotels should draw visitors away from the danger zones (or any zones that 'might' be dangerous) to their other properties in other cities with the reduced rates. Maybe offer free transport too. Being within blocks of the protests (bloody or not) is not a good thing to invite guests to.

When a hurricane is coming you don't exactly lower your rates on the arriving shores now do you? Especially with the majority of embassies advising not to be in the area.