AP Honda shoots for 1.4m sales this year

bazmlb

AP Honda, the distributor of Honda motorcycles in Thailand, targets sales of 1.4 million units this year, out of the expected 1.85 million sales of the whole industry.

The company aims to ensure its dominance of the market this quarter with the launch of two redesigned models, the PCX150 and MSX125.

AP Honda president Chiaki Kato said Thailand's motorcycle industry was hurt by the bumpy economy last year. The economic fluctuations started with the slow exports at the beginning of the year resulting from appreciation of the baht. Then came the domestic political crisis and the fluctuating prices of agricultural products towards the end of the year.

All these factors pulled economic growth down to 2.8 per cent from its original forecast of 5.5 per cent. New motorcycle registration was affected, dropping 6 per cent year on year to 2,004,000 units.

However, models such as the Zoomer-X and MSX125 received a massive response from Thais, which helped Honda sales to manage 1,493,000 units, equivalent to 1-per-cent growth from 2012. Honda grabbed a 74.5-per-cent market share and maintained its No 1 position in the country's motorcycle industry, which it has held for 25 consecutive years. AP Honda is launching a revised three-year medium-term plan (2014-16) to adapt the organisation to the changing business environment. The three-step plan focuses on sustainability.

The first step is to become a leader in social responsibility.

The second step is to establish great value for the motorcycle industry by delivering only the best products, developed especially for Thai consumers. Within the next three years, AP Honda plans to launch 12 new models, as well as to nurture a big-bike culture among Thai consumers.

The third step is to maximise brand value through road-safety, environmental and social events. The goal is to earn recognition from all of society, whether they ride motorcycles or not.

"Under the new revised plan, to be employed between 2014 and 2016, AP Honda is ready to make itself a beloved and recognised brand in Thai society. That will be implemented through events and creative products that give priority to safety and the environment. That will make us a sustainable organisation," Kato said.

Honda is ready to boost market demand in the current quarter with the new look of its PCX150. First launched in 2009, this premium automatic-transmission motorcycle received a tremendous response from users and its accumulated sales recently reached 130,000 units. This year's model features a new design from head to tail, equipped with sleek LED (light-emitting diode) lamps considered the most modern in the local motorcycle industry.

Honda is also introducing a new MSX125 mini-bike. It has also added a new colour option, yellow, to the Zoomer-X to appeal to younger riders, Kato said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-1-17

I would suggest that 80% of this volume is the Wave and in previous years this was the cheapest of the big 4 and now it is almost the dearest. This must have an impact on sales, especially when you have a 75% market share and the completion are as good.

Some say Honda quality has dropped slightly and I would agree, albeit based on a two bike sample. Our 4 year old Wave seems a much better bike than my step son's 1 year model.

So personally I see their market share dropping slightly.

Some people have their head in the sand with anything concerning Honda. Yes AllanB , Hondas quality has dropped over the years , although i believe it has dropped far more than you know .Honda was the "only " bike some years ago but now all the other companies have caught up (and many have overtaken them) in terms of quality and value.Honda is still banging out bikes with old drum brakes and spoked wheels , when many of their cheaper competition are using modern/safer disc brakes and alloy wheels (that loose less air)look better and give better handling/braking response due to their light weight.If Honda is going to increase production , then their already suspect quality/value will surly fall even further .Honda have very cleaver engineers but the "bean counting" accountants are cutting things too far back to the bone.They have been for about six years now.They are in real danger of being overtaken ,in quality terms, by some of the Chinese companies , and some of them cost less than half!.Honda Wave- great basic bike , but did you read the story of the guy who ,after comparing all the specs , bought a Lifan Aires 110 and found it much better/safer ,as on a previous Honda he had to change the tires and wheels and the suspension just to make it safe/rideable. No problems with the cheaper Lifan.I cant remember this guys name ,SORRY if he reads this ,but he was doing something like 100,000 KMS per year on a variety of bikes.

quote mr jeffrey

Honda is still banging out bikes with old drum brakes and spoked wheels , when many of their cheaper competition are using modern/safer disc brakes and alloy wheels (that loose less air)look better and give better handling/braking response due to their light weight. end quote

​can you name me what bike you are talking about here as I'm in the market for a new bike and don't want to waste my money on a honda if this bike you are talking about actually exists.

​i remember the guy you are talking about ,he was a great poster on here ,if my memory serves me correct his posting name was similar to yours.

The big 4 Jap brands are pretty much equal in quality when it comes to small bikes in Thailand. But when it comes to brand loyalty Thai's tend to follow each other, anyone who dares to be different is laughed at. If Suzuki had made the PCX it would have been a flop because it's ugly as sin. But it's a Honda so it's done well. The Zoomer is painful reminder of when Honda made original, cool designs, but this poor imitation seems to be doing OK as it's a Honda.

I think Honda make really good bikes, but their dominance in Thailand is primarily due to the sheep mentality and the fanboys rather than a vastly superior product.

In terms of value for money, I think pound for pound their cars are still a step ahead of the competition in LOS. Not so with the bikes IMO.

• Like 2

....their dominance in Thailand is primarily due to the sheep mentality and the fanboys rather than a vastly superior product.

and that is certainly true with the big bikes. I recently asked a number of Thais about the Kawasaki Vulcan and 'barge pole' came into the conversation

The big 4 Jap brands are pretty much equal in quality when it comes to small bikes in Thailand. But when it comes to brand loyalty Thai's tend to follow each other, anyone who dares to be different is laughed at. If Suzuki had made the PCX it would have been a flop because it's ugly as sin. But it's a Honda so it's done well. The Zoomer is painful reminder of when Honda made original, cool designs, but this poor imitation seems to be doing OK as it's a Honda.

I think Honda make really good bikes, but their dominance in Thailand is primarily due to the sheep mentality and the fanboys rather than a vastly superior product.

In terms of value for money, I think pound for pound their cars are still a step ahead of the competition in LOS. Not so with the bikes IMO.

i call these people buying honda clever guys actually!

better resale value, better reliability, durability, availability. there are many reasons why those clever people buy honda bikes.

and not only in thailand but everywhere in this world.

there are reasons why honda is the biggest bike maker in this world and if you cannot see these, you are losing.

First of all, I like drum brakes on a small bike, no hydraulics and they don't lock up in the wet, I don't ride like a Thai 16 year old and don't need heavy braking at high speed. Spoked wheels add a little to the suspension, look nice and I have two kids to clean them, so all in all my current 4 year old Wave is ideal at 34k baht.

Honda are number one in the world, but so are Coca cola and Toyota, one has always produced shit and the other have declined in build quality so fast it is meteoric. The two worst cars I have owned were a Celica in the UK and a Soluna here, both fell to bits and broke down. I also own an 18 year old NAD Hilux and it is the epitome of reliability.

As others have quite rightly mentioned the other 3 build bikes that are just as good as Honda and are now cheaper, sure there are a few who go for the brand loyalty crap, but most will go for value and that is why Honda's market share will decline in Thailand.

For most Thais resale value is irrelevant, they simply ride them till they drop, availability, you can get Yams ans Kwaks anywhere, value for money, not any more.

Edited by AllanB

.Honda is still banging out bikes with old drum brakes and spoked wheels , when many of their cheaper competition are using modern/safer disc brakes and alloy wheels (that loose less air)look better and give better handling/braking response due to their light weight.

Spoked wheels are better in areas where the roads are rough. There are more durable and the rim can easily be replaced if necessary. If you live in the city and ride on perfect roads and can afford to replace the whole wheel if necessary OK. If you live up country with rough or unpaved roads and can't afford to replace the whole wheel if damaged use spoked.

Disc brakes take all the road crud from the front wheel and are therefore in a more severe service than the front so encasing the brake in a drum makes sense. Some commercial trucks have front disc brakes but generally all have rear drum brakes for the same reason. Sure from a showroom point of view disc brakes look cooler but Honda is arguably the most pragmatic of the big four so they fit drum on cheaper mass market bikes. Rear drums are cheap and easy and mostly never even need to get worked on.

Edited by VocalNeal

i never understand this brand loyalty rubbish really ,have owned honda in uk for 15 years,but next bike in uk is gonna be a suzuki,bought a honda crf in thailand just because it was a newer model and i preferred the look of it to the kawa klx, and may well be buying a honda scooter just because no one else offers the engine size and comfort that i want from it,and if i wanted an inline four over here t the moment i would be going for a kawaski or 2nd hand yamaha/suzuki. oh and my first ever big bike was a ducati,so there is none off this one brand is better or more reliable from me,i simply buy what bike i like the look off and whatever suits my needs the best. as long as its not chinese i don't really care.

the bike that made honda such a loyal following especially over here is no doubt the honda wave,I'm sure a few on here are so blinded by certain brands they have never even tried the other brands.

i never understand this brand loyalty rubbish really ,have owned honda in uk for 15 years,but next bike in uk is gonna be a suzuki,bought a honda crf in thailand just because it was a newer model and i preferred the look of it to the kawa klx, and may well be buying a honda scooter just because no one else offers the engine size and comfort that i want from it,and if i wanted an inline four over here t the moment i would be going for a kawaski or 2nd hand yamaha/suzuki. oh and my first ever big bike was a ducati,so there is none off this one brand is better or more reliable from me,i simply buy what bike i like the look off and whatever suits my needs the best. as long as its not chinese i don't really care.

the bike that made honda such a loyal following especially over here is no doubt the honda wave,I'm sure a few on here are so blinded by certain brands they have never even tried the other brands.

...or is it a Honda Dream,that can run forever....and they still are making them.. tongue.png

better resale value, better reliability, durability, availability. there are many reasons why those clever people buy honda bikes.

there are reasons why honda is the biggest bike maker in this world and if you cannot see these, you are losing.

From what I can see your last 3 bikes have been a cbr150, cbr250 and cbr500. Next bike is a (wait for it - drum roll please...) cbr650.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but it might be time to open your mind and try something else, you might be pleasantly surprised?

You can't be serious? 10 years ago, maybe, but Honda are still there, 10 years in the past.

As for the likes of the Wave, we have had 4 over the last 6 years. The first one (125i) was solid and nice to ride. The next 125i never felt right from the moment I rode it home from the dealer. We then got a 110i for me to poodle around on and it was very well made and I preferred it to the 2nd 125i. We got rid of the 2nd 125i and bought a new one about a year ago. It was the best one yet and had more storage and a better ride due to bigger wheels.

My wife doesn't like the feet-forward automatic bikes, so the Wave is her preferred bike.

We did look at a Yamaha 135cc bike. It was really nice, but had absolutely no storage space so we ended up getting Wave #4. I also don't want to replace the battery every 6 months like nearly everyone I know with a small Yamaha does.

From what I can see your last 3 bikes have been a cbr150, cbr250 and cbr500. Next bike is a (wait for it - drum roll please...) cbr650.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but it might be time to open your mind and try something else, you might be pleasantly surprised?

i own other hondas before too!

and i am always happy with them. i had kawa, yamaha and enfield as well.

let kawa brings an inline four for 300 k with better value than honda's or zx636, i just go for them.

but where jonny?

Even on small bikes i would still like disc brakes for a more modern feel and maintainance (just my choice) but ,yes , spoked wheels do have more give on bad roads , as fitted to off-road bikes.Honda wave/dream /cub has to be a design classic ,but Honda are still riding-high on this long-past master-piece. Thaninthai i can see why you thought i was someone else - just found him - JEFFREY Mc COLLOM - its my second name that is JEFFREY , not the first - same rare spelling though!. Bike (one of them)that is specked better than Honds was the Lifan which i said in my above post.Like to know how hes still getting on.

let kawa brings an inline four for 300 k with better value than honda's or zx636, i just go for them.

but where jonny?

there was a gorgeous 600 gsxr in classified look great condition 320k Ono sold within a couple of days ,you seem to want a super sports bike ll ,this is what I would be going for as opposed to the new honda....but each to their own .

but where jonny?

there was a gorgeous 600 gsxr in classified look great condition 320k Ono sold within a couple of days ,you seem to want a super sports bike ll ,this is what I would be going for as opposed to the new honda....but each to their own .

I dont want to risk any legal issues plus i like 0 km bikes if possible with guarantee and service.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app