All-new Altis hits the road

bazmlb

toyota_altis.jpg

Toyota hopes to overtake Honda in car sales with Corolla's "sporty, cutting-edge design, exciting driving performance and comfort"

For the first time in history, Toyota was left sniffing the dust after being overtaken by Honda in passenger car sales last year. And despite brisk sales of its new Yaris eco-car during the final month of 2013, Toyota still failed to catch up with its arch rival. But things may be about to change.

Toyota, the country's largest automaker, is hoping to accelerate past Honda and win back the car-sales crown this year with the launch of its new Corolla Altis compact car.

With prices starting at Bt769,000 for the entry-level model, the Altis - which will be ready for sale in showrooms countrywide from Saturday - is expected to earn 4,000 orders for Toyota per month, said Toyota Motor Thailand president Kyoichi Tanada.

"We will target a younger generation of customers with the car's sporty, cutting-edge design and exciting driving performance, while its elegance, comfort and high equipment level is targeted at a more mature generation," he pointed out.

"With the distinct characters of the all-new Corolla that comes in various models for every customer, I am confident that the new model will respond to each customer's need and will play a significant role in increasing Toyota's sales and Thailand's passenger cars sales numbers as a whole," Tanada said.

The new Corolla is powered by 1.6- and 1.8-litre engines carried over from the previous model. The 122hp 1.6, which is also available with CNG versions, gets a new gearbox, while the 141hp 1.8 still relies on the old 7-speed CVT transmission. Both models have front strut and rear torsion beam suspension with stabilisers and disc brakes front and rear for improved roadholding and stopping performance.

The car's interior is larger than the outgoing model's, thanks to a 100mm increase in its wheelbase. As a result, the cabin is 80mm longer and 15mm wider. According to Toyota, rear passengers will be more comfortable with the increased cabin dimensions.

The interior also features a new soft-fabric cyber-carbon console, a new steering wheel and gauges, as well as a new air-conditioning system. There are four trim levels for the 1.8 and another four for the 1.6 (including two CNG models with automatic and manual transmissions).

The Corolla was first introduced in Thailand in 1966, and approximately 670,000 of the cars have been sold so far, making it the most popular passenger car in the country. Globally, more than 40 million Corollas have been sold to date, and it serves as a core model for the Japanese automaker.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-1-17

Some more pictures compared to the old model.. I would say an improvement in design compared to the outgoing model.. Engine model for the 1.8 is now 2ZE-FBE which is E85 compatible.

Agree, It's less of a snooze-fest, but it's still a total snooze-fest ;)

• Like 1

Some more pictures compared to the old model.. I would say an improvement in design compared to the outgoing model.. Engine model for the 1.8 is now 2ZE-FBE which is E85 compatible.

Old_new_2014_Toyota_Corolla_Altis_compar

2014_Toyota_Corolla_Altis_-028.jpg

2014_Toyota_Corolla_Altis_-036.jpg

Those exterior shots are not of the new model for Thailand.

Sorry, the photos are so bloody big I didn't even see the new Thai model alongside the old one! My mistake.

Edited by MMarlow

E85,. I have to do a 120 round trip to find the stuff. Those Headrests look like Tombstones in Black , Mazda mainly, and Honda must be having a a good laugh at this ALL NEW offering.. All Mazda need now is for Honda to fit a Rubber Band Auto in the Civic and Ruin It..w00t.gif

oh yeah baby it's a "HUGE" improvement from the outgoing generation, which was a "HUGE" improvement from the one before that....but then again, it could not get any uglier or more boring then the outgoing Altis could it.

Therefore improvement is always very subjective to the starting point....

oh yeah baby it's a "HUGE" improvement from the outgoing generation, which was a "HUGE" improvement from the one before that....but then again, it could not get any uglier or more boring then the outgoing Altis could it.

I'd love to be able to convince myself to buy a Toyota saloon because of the reliability. My Vigo has been so good I almost feel guilty about buying a different brand. But the exterior styling of Toyota saloons is just so bland. This new Altis doesn't look much better to me.

"Therefore improvement is always very subjective to the starting point...."

As is your "uglier" comment, purely subjective.

So why the fleet manager of the taxi rentals in BKK prefer to buy Toyota instead of Mazda or Honda?

Firstly ,Mazda and Honda don't want to Reduce Price. One could also liken it to a Benz /BMW situation... BM in Europe dont want to be known as Taxis like the small Benz are regarded in Europe..It shocks Thais when they see their Status nonsense being hailed like a Toyota giggle.gif ..Managers here do as the Boss Says, unlike in Communist Europe these days where the tail wags the dog.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

I drove the new Corolla Altis today. I was rather impressed. It's bigger than before, and you kind of feel it. Feels like driving a small Camry more than anything else. So you bet it'll sell well in Thailand, and for good reason.

I forgot to ask about the fuel type, but if the 1.8 can take E85 then that's potentially a big saving I think?

And yes, it'll make an even better taxi for Bangkok, but then I don't live in Bangkok so the taxi stigma doesn't really apply.

I actually came in to look at the Yaris, but that one (being an eco car now) has really gone quite flimsy, quite different from the very solid little car I drove in the USA. The Thai Yaris is bigger though, I think it's the biggest eco car available currently, with plenty space in the back.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I'm from Portugal, and you don't get a Taxi Loaner there. Germany you do , as you say. The Civic seems just the same as my C Class.An E Class is Accord/ Camry size near enough. All we had in numbers were Benz and Opals , the latter suprisng everyone with its value for money.I am going back a bit though.coffee1.gif