Recommendations for a new LCD TV

narkeddiver

Hi there,

I'm looking to get in new tv sometime in the next couple of months and wondered if anyone had any recommendations that I can add to my short list ;)

Here are my requirements so far:

Type: LCD / LED

Size: 42 - 46" (happy to go bigger but unfortunately Mrs Diver has set the limit ;)

Smart TV: Not required (don't want to pay for something that my Apple TV and laptop can already do)

3D: Not required (I find it a gimmick tbh so don't really want it)

Cheers,

Narked

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recently bought a Samsung LED TV. Seems quite good, but since it's the only new TV I've bought lately, I don't have anything to compare it to. Only complaint I might make would be that at midday when the room is flooded with bright sunlight ( I guess mostly an issue in winter since the room has southern exposure), the picture is somewhat washed out. That didn't seem to be so noticeable an issue when I had the older (definitely not flat-screen) type TV

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I have owned an LG 32" LCD for about 18 months. Works great with HDMI connection from laptop computer. No problems. Picture OK in bright room. I am sure the larger sizes will perform equally well. Highly recommend.

Edited by moradave

I bought a Panasonic 32' after comparing it with the others on display. Yes i know they can make the TV with the highest commission look better but all the stores i went into it was the same result . Coupled with a panasonic blu-ray player and a Yamaha AV amp i couldn't be happier. I did go into the stores with the money to buy a Samsung but for the same money the panasonic looked better to me. Only thing i regret is that i didn't get a 42" for a bit more money.

I'd go Samsung. Their ability to read almost any movie format on a USB drive is incredible and unmatched by any other tv I've encountered at friends or hotels.

But then I do download a lot.

A friend just bought an older model 55inch led for 30,000 baht. Lotus I think but only know from Facebook.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Whatever you buy, make sure it's full HD.

I got a 50" Samsung Plasma, bought it last year for 25k bath. Awesome picture when watching True HD channels.

Yes the usb hub can play anything I trow at it, no 3D.

It don't like daylight so I pull the curtains behind me in daylight.

Mine's a 43" Samsung series 4 but it's a plasma, not LCD (or 'smart'), and I'm still very happy with it even though it's not full HD. They're down to about 15k now in BigC (http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/plasma-43-samsung-ps43d450.html ).

Staying away from 'state of the art' (they're currently on series 8) is the key to a sensible price. The 40" series 5 Samsung LCD is down to 13k in BigC also (http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/samsung-led-tv-40-ua40eh5300r.html ), and it's a very nice tv (also it's 'smart', should you decide somewhere down the road, to use those features).

A friend has this one http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/it-electronics/home-entertainment/visual/sony-bravia-lcd-tv-40-klv-40bx450.html so I can say from experience it's also a very nice sub-15k baht no frills full HD.

I have been told that Soniq which is a subsidiary of Sony makes all the LCD/LED panels and the different brands merely add the electronics and features .If what i am told is true then it is a matter of looking at the features to decide. I don't know if the electronics enhance the picture at all but some do look netter than others . I would still letmy own eyes decide.

After 3 years and 2 moves, my Panasonic 32" has been great. When new house is furnished next month or so, it's going into the computer room/second bedroom -- and I'm lusting after 55" for the main room and master suite. I plan on looking really hard at Panasonic.

Anyone have any scuttlebutt about newer Panasonic LEDs?

Do not want to hi-jack, but am in the same boat and will mount TV to a bed that folds down, so when bed is deployed, TV will be facing the ground...I have heard this is not good with a Plasma but should be fine with LED...correct?

I do not want 3D or even a smart TV, but any model recommendations on a Samsung around 40" that is SUPER thin and full HD?
Thanks

Do not want to hi-jack, but am in the same boat and will mount TV to a bed that folds down, so when bed is deployed, TV will be facing the ground...I have heard this is not good with a Plasma but should be fine with LED...correct?

I do not want 3D or even a smart TV, but any model recommendations on a Samsung around 40" that is SUPER thin and full HD?

Thanks

The guidelines for big screen tv's is for transportation. The issue is not one of electronics with it being laid flat, it's the risk of breaking the screen. In respect of LCD/LED tv's it is a myth that they are any safer to transport or store horizontally than plasma, their potential for the glass breaking is just as high.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you were 100% sure the folding bed would *always* be lowered gently to the floor and not dropped the last 6 inches, which could conceivably cause the glass to break...

Panasonic has stopped making Plasma

so don't get stuck with old technology

Possibly worth looking that the latest 4000 pixel range

if you can afford to take a long term view. whistling.gif

They stopped making betamax too, despite that betamax kicked vhs's ass... Nothing wrong with a plasma tv...

A new 4k on the other hand, yeah... Nice if you can afford it. Won't be long though before they're mainstream.

Right - the only reasons Panasonic have stopped making their easily-the-best-picture-quality-in-class plasmas is because of the shift to 4K.

Their top-end 1080P plasmas were already amongst the most expensive TV's inch for inch, and also by far the heaviest (the 65" VT is ridiculously heavy - you would be very stupid or very brave to wall-mount it). While the price and weight was right on the threshold of acceptance @ 1080P and 65", there's simply no way the tech could remain price competitive, shippable, or installable as an 80+" 4K set.

That takes nothing away from the sheer brilliance of their 1080P VT, GT and ST plasmas- there's still no other mainstream 1080P sets that can compete with their PQ.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Thanks

That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you were 100% sure the folding bed would *always* be lowered gently to the floor and not dropped the last 6 inches, which could conceivably cause the glass to break...

Thanks for that info....TV should have enough clearance when bed is lowered, and bed operates on rams (like trunk of car) so not a huge worry of slamming it down...but I got wonder with the abuse my laptop and phone screens take these things gotta be tough...but I guess the make up of the TV's may be different.

Anyways, think I have only seen one Samsung without smart tv and 3d that said it as full HD and 40"...think it was about 15k baht....not sure how great a deal that is!

• 4 weeks later...

Lotus has 2 on sale now. Seems to be a great price on both.

Sony: KDL-50W704 LED FHD SMA

1920X1080, Box Bass Reflex Speaker, 4 HDMI, 2 USB, DVD COMPONENT, FULL HD

http://www.sony.co.th/product/kdl-50w704a?site=hp_en_TH_i

Samsung: UA50F6400DKXXT LED 50 FHD 3D S D

1920X1080, 4 HDMI, 3 USB DVD COMPONENT, INTERNET

The prices are down from mid 40's or so.

Lotus has 2 on sale now. Seems to be a great price on both.

Sony: KDL-50W704 LED FHD SMA

1920X1080, Box Bass Reflex Speaker, 4 HDMI, 2 USB, DVD COMPONENT, FULL HD

http://www.sony.co.th/product/kdl-50w704a?site=hp_en_TH_i

Samsung: UA50F6400DKXXT LED 50 FHD 3D S D

1920X1080, 4 HDMI, 3 USB DVD COMPONENT, INTERNET

The prices are down from mid 40's or so.

Home Pro have the Samsung for 30K: http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/th/directtoshop/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5-50-3d-samsung-ua50f6400dkxxt-p1015124

and the same price on the Sony, but with up to 10% discount if you purchase using the right credit card: http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/th/directtoshop/%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%8C/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5-%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5-50-sony-kdl-50w704a-p1012658

I notice the LG 84" 4K UHD is down from 800K, to 600K, to 500K, to 349K and to 286K now: http://www.smtv.co.th/index.php?page=showproduct&productid=1772&category=23 wink.png Pity it doesn't have HDMI V2.0 though :(

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I don't think I've got a big enough room for that 84" model! 55555

What do you think of that Sony model? I just want a good pic, don't care about any internet stuff. Being able to play off a portable HD is great, but I've also got a western digital media player that works quite well.

Thanks!!

I don't think I've got a big enough room for that 84" model! 55555

What do you think of that Sony model? I just want a good pic, don't care about any internet stuff. Being able to play off a portable HD is great, but I've also got a western digital media player that works quite well.

Thanks!!

I haven't done any actual comparisons in this range lately - ever since my 65" Plasma started looking small, I only looked for bigger tongue.png

I would have to say that I'd take a Sony over a Samsung in a heartbeat though - I've previously owned 3 Samsung flat screens, each on had it's own gremlins, ranging from randomly seeing remote commands that didn't exist (changing channels, accessing menu's etc all by themselves), to dead pixels one day out of warranty (and not just one, I had 10 bright green persistent dots appear) to being just plain stubborn about turning on. Not a fan of their remote quality either - you're almost guaranteed that at least one or two of the buttons will start requiring several newton meters of force to work after a few months of use.

YMMV.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2