Recommendations for a new LCD TV

narkeddiver

Actually sorry, the ghost operation one wasn't seeing remote commands - apparently it was faulty capacitive touch buttons on the TV itself (buttons no more than markings on the frame, not physical buttons) - they replaced them under warranty once, but the problem appeared again with months (and by then out of warranty).

Samsung are great TV's, however the ones I have witnessed have a painfully slow menu, TV guide etc...

For that reason I would prefer to pay a lot more money for a Sony.

And painfully slow start-up time....

What is a smart TV? I am a dinosaurus.

I have a 40inch very old Sony Bravia. 7 years old. Bass speakers going and picture getting worse.

I want best bang for buck. I have a lot of films on a Hitachi External Drive, and some films on Thumb drives. I also have a normal Thai dvd player which plays Pantip stuff and all copies just fine.

I have wifi in home...I just heard that some models can pick up Wifi--so can I surf on TV with a remote?

My budget is 15-25k. I cant afford a 60k all dancing latest model. 40 inches size is fine, even 44.

Answers on a postcard pls, to

Thicko Eddy

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a Sony 55 inch W804A BRAVIA 3D. I also had an 8 year old dying Sony. Despite promising to stay Samsung I did get swayed by the picture quality, built in wifi and simple "allshare"

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

I have 51 inch fullhd samsung plasma + onkyo and polk audio home theatre going up in classifieds as soon as ad approved-less than a year old if anyone looking for a quality set up at a very good price.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by bkkjames

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this up again--Help! Old Sony Bravia 2006 on its last legs.

Budget about 20,000.

I read on an Indian site that the bank of LED lights varies in batch quality. So, A1+ is used for 50,000b sets. B1 is used for regular kit. Seems that LG uses A1 LEDs more than other brands.

Newbie so dont want to get some BigC lad selling me something from 2012. It does seem that anything with serial 4000 is old stuff but the newest is 8000 series.

Im not bothered about 3d--I don't want the gimmick of XRay specs. HD would fit well, because a lot of TRUE channels are HD now. I'm a big netty person so the idea of Facebook and UTube and more esoteric stuff on the TV screen does appeal.

I have Wifi at home. If I go for Wifi LED Sony, Samsung etc (is that a Smart TV?)--can I surf the net from the sofa? Does LG have a special Mouse thing? Do some Wifi sets need a Dongle?

Seems to be down to Big C, Tesco or Homepro.

If I can get something with the latest gizmos and the Net (but no 3d)--great. All answers thanks in advance.

eddy

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung: UA50F6400DKXXT LED 50 FHD 3D S D

1920X1080, 4 HDMI, 3 USB DVD COMPONENT, INTERNET

This is what I am looking at.

Not sure I need the internet or 3D but who knows

All part of the deal.

There are some very good prices with the run up to the World Cup Football

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Samsung UA50F6400 and am very happy with it

One small problem

I am using the old bracket from my 40", the new 50" weighs less the old 40"

The problem was the screw to attach the bracket to the TV

I had to find larger screws as the holes are bigger

so what should have been a 5 minute job took 2 hours. :bah:

• 4 weeks later...

I have 5 Samsung LCD TVs from 3 years ago. One 42" and the others all 32". All the cheap ones have been fine but the 42" likes to turn off to a black screen.

We had this issue fixed 3 times under warranty and once outside, and now it just came back.

Going with Sony next time - or maybe Sharp if they are still around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spent a few days reviewing Tv's before purchase;

I came to the conclusion(s);

1. smart TV is not possible until they put a good PC processor in the TV use a laptop or tablet connected via HDMI and get a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for best interactive results.

2. 3D gives me a headache when I tried both active and passive so didn't bother

3. This leaves, basically, price, screen size and most importantly picture quality.

I would say picture quality and screen size are most important but don't overpay for gimmicks.

4. There is no substitute for going and having a look in store, take your time and the assistants to play various inputs both HD and SD through the screens. Take advantage of offer and up to 10% off with the correct credit card.

5. I purchased a SONY because it gave the best picture with both HD and SD. It came with a free bluRay player I found out at checkout!! You can also extend warranty free on Sony web site if you register TV.

However it's all about personal choice. There are cheaper Sonys coming on to the Thai market SONY KDL-50W704A-NET 50" for 29Kbht. However are edge lit using A not A+ LED's and have darker edge light problems with some reports of "bent" screens. Great value BUT hang on until they sort out the bugs. Include a built in digital tuner but as a box only costs 1000 bht (HD version) then shouldn't sway you.

My advice in short - set a price limit (taking into account deals they offer) and then pick best picture quality for your buck. I chose Sony KDL46EX650 paid 22.5Kbht two years ago, Bargain at homepro now with doubled warranty online Had no problems with it

Your choice may be different? Good luck