Best Value Android Phone. Any Tips?

NanLaew

The S3 is still an up to date spec'd phone in terms of real-world performance, camera quality etc. I'm running an Android 4.4 custom ROM since last November and one of the benefits of 4.4 is that the minimum required RAM for this version has actually decreased from 1GB to just 512 MB. Android 4.4 is running flawlessly on my i9300 with great screen-on time and 2 days battery-life. I stopped following the trend of always buying the newest phones on the market and instead upgrade every 2 years while still running the latest Android version wink.png

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive biggrin.png

The S3 is a decent phone but it is a 2012 phone ..soooo old now tongue.png

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Custom rom because Samsung haven't updated .. but true about 4.4 and ram. And I didn't say it wasn't decent. It is.. just had bad experience with Samsung and updates ..with 4.4 ALL the older phones should be able to run it. As long as the manufacturer keeps off the bloat.

Samsung nor any other manufacturers will update their old flagship devices to the latest Android version after the 12-16 month update window has expired. Second problem from Samsung is that they refuse to release their proprietary drivers and kernel sources to the developers community. So yes, in fact all phone with 512MB RAM potentially could run 4.4 but in fact they never will. Currently only Nexus devices (obviously) Motorola, Sony and Oppo are the only manufacturers who release their source code in time and can be called developer-friendly.

How do you like your Moto G so far in terms of performance and battery-life? Spec wise it's on-par with the i9300 I would say, except the camera perhaps..

The S3 is still an up to date spec'd phone in terms of real-world performance, camera quality etc. I'm running an Android 4.4 custom ROM since last November and one of the benefits of 4.4 is that the minimum required RAM for this version has actually decreased from 1GB to just 512 MB. Android 4.4 is running flawlessly on my i9300 with great screen-on time and 2 days battery-life. I stopped following the trend of always buying the newest phones on the market and instead upgrade every 2 years while still running the latest Android version wink.png

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive biggrin.png

Custom rom because Samsung haven't updated .. but true about 4.4 and ram. And I didn't say it wasn't decent. It is.. just had bad experience with Samsung and updates ..with 4.4 ALL the older phones should be able to run it. As long as the manufacturer keeps off the bloat.

Samsung nor any other manufacturers will update their old flagship devices to the latest Android version after the 12-16 month update window has expired. Second problem from Samsung is that they refuse to release their proprietary drivers and kernel sources to the developers community. So yes, in fact all phone with 512MB RAM potentially could run 4.4 but in fact they never will. Currently only Nexus devices (obviously) Motorola, Sony and Oppo are the only manufacturers who release their source code in time and can be called developer-friendly.

How do you like your Moto G so far in terms of performance and battery-life? Spec wise it's on-par with the i9300 I would say, except the camera perhaps..

It's great. But to be fair I haven't had any decent high end phone to compare it to.. but having used friends phones before it compares well with any 10-15k phone. The camera is OK. But there definitely are better. But then its £99 phone (approx 5k baht) so I'm happy.

Get a second hand Samsung S3 or note 1 or 2. I bought last month a second hand note 2 at tukcom for, 9,000 Baht. I consider this pretty good value, especially as I have full warranty on it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Really?

I'm running KitKat on mine.

But the kitkat update was not from Samsung was it?

And the fact your running kk doesn't stop it being a 2012 phone. The S3 is a nice phone. There is no doubt and your all lucky to have an active developer forum. But many people don't want the hassle and possibility of bricking their phone by going that route.

Only Noobs brick their phone.

Best definition of noob evar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

Really?

I'm running KitKat on mine.
But the kitkat update was not from Samsung was it?

And the fact your running kk doesn't stop it being a 2012 phone. The S3 is a nice phone. There is no doubt and your all lucky to have an active developer forum. But many people don't want the hassle and possibility of bricking their phone by going that route.

• Like 1

imobile iqx for 8000 thb is the best now, a lot better than any samsungshite or iphoneshite..

http://store.i-mobilephone.com/

No wonder why samsung and mac are so rich when only few percents of the population can think instead of just following the others and and advertising...

Edited by thailandbeachisland

I would go for the Google Nexus, they are very high spec and mid range price, they benefit from always getting the latest Android, where as Samsung and most of the others are very slow at rolling out the new Android updates. Sony Xperia are also good value phones. Despite what people have said I would avoid i-mobile, its a local brand and not well supported and I am sure it will not travel well outside Thailand.

• Like 1

Cant believe no one mentioned the Lenovo A390 or their other budget phone for only 2900 Baht. It runs the latest android on a dual core dual sim hardware.

Lenovo-A390.jpg

Maybe because as specs go it ain't exactly good 4 GB rom, 512 MB RAM...cheap and cheerful for sure.. but best value.. nope

also it is 4 versions behind on Android its on Ice cream sandwich 4.0.4 we are now on Kitkat 4.4.2

is this one of the dual SIM phones that only connects one of the SIM slots to the HSPA hardware (i.e. no 3G networking on the 2nd SIM) ? I know at least one of the dual-SIM Huaweis do not (Y210D).

I checked the Lenovo online support page and the "user manual" is really no good, no information in there to let me tell either way.

also, per casual biker, old Android version and no idea if Lenovo is releasing updates!

Cant believe no one mentioned the Lenovo A390 or their other budget phone for only 2900 Baht. It runs the latest android on a dual core dual sim hardware.

Lenovo-A390.jpg

I would go for the Google Nexus, they are very high spec and mid range price, they benefit from always getting the latest Android, where as Samsung and most of the others are very slow at rolling out the new Android updates. Sony Xperia are also good value phones. Despite what people have said I would avoid i-mobile, its a local brand and not well supported and I am sure it will not travel well outside Thailand.

Nexus is a lot of the phone for what it costs, but I thought one of the OPs requirements is a removable memory card?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

is this one of the dual SIM phones that only connects one of the SIM slots to the HSPA hardware (i.e. no 3G networking on the 2nd SIM) ? I know at least one of the dual-SIM Huaweis do not (Y210D).

Example:

HTC Desire 600 dual SIM also does not support 3G on both SIM slots:

http://www.htc.com/www/support/htc-desire-600-dual-sim/howto/364493.html

("Slot 1 supports WCDMA and GSM. Slot 2 supports GSM").

Nobody needs 2 data enabled SIMS, I see no point. Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I travel between 2 countries regularly. It is a true joy to have your phone switch data networks (at full speed) once you cross the border, without having to switch SIM cards.

Does anyone know anything about the IQ phones?

There are LOTS of different models and they're good value for money. Mine came with a set of Buddhists chants installed biggrin.png

Does the GPS work on your phone? I'm just wondering if i should have left them on the I-mobile i had.. biggrin.png mY gps DIDn'T work

If a good GPS is a must, one have to invest a little more and buy a good brand phone. All the current GPS phones (brand phones) are sold with the GPS and GLONAS receivers and the addition or GLONAS (Russian satellite network) makes a huge difference in accuracy and satellite lock.

With my old Samsung Galaxy S2 (GPS only) it was taking a while to get a lock and it would always loose it inside the vehicle and during a bad weather.

Now with Samsung Galaxy Note 3 I can do things I couldn't dream of before:

post-111234-0-16138000-1390364044_thumb.

I would consider LG G2.. it's a fantastic phone with superior display.Need waterproof? In that case Sony Z1 Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Isn't G2 lg's flagship, and around 20.000 baht?

Sony Z1 Sony's top phone, both some of the best Androids at any price, but not best value, far from it, both are some the most expensive Androids.

Value is 5", 1080p and under 10.000 baht

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not sure about the cost in thailand. In Norway the G2 is about 5000 thb cheaper than the other brands flagship models, so here it is considered a good value phone...

I agree with you about the Sony Z1, and are excited to see the upcoming Z1 compact, having nearly all the same specs, although it's only 720p, but on a 4,3" display

I run a mobile phone shop, so i get to try out quite a few phones. What i can see is that buying cheap is not same as buying good value.. Cheap phones with high specs normally have hardware of poorer quality.

Not sure about the cost in thailand. In Norway the G2 is about 5000 thb cheaper than the other brands flagship models, so here it is considered a good value phone...

I agree with you about the Sony Z1, and are excited to see the upcoming Z1 compact, having nearly all the same specs, although it's only 720p, but on a 4,3" display

I run a mobile phone shop, so i get to try out quite a few phones. What i can see is that buying cheap is not same as buying good value.. Cheap phones with high specs normally have hardware of poorer quality.

heh, where's your shop ? any chance you've got the LG D686 ? after doing all that research (originally for the OP) I think I've talked myself into buying one haha

heh, where's your shop ? any chance you've got the LG D686 ? after doing all that research (originally for the OP) I think I've talked myself into buying one haha

Hehe this phone is not in the Norwegian market, which is where my shop is.

But from what I can see it is a phone you would choose only if it's really cheap and you need dual sim option.

5,5" screen with 200 ppi (pixel density) is not great.

1 GHz dual core may be a bit too weak, but this of course depends on what you want to use it for.

Here you can see the specs compared to the G2

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5736&idPhone2=5543

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hehe this phone is not in the Norwegian market, which is where my shop is.

But from what I can see it is a phone you would choose only if it's really cheap and you need dual sim option.

5,5" screen with 200 ppi (pixel density) is not great.

1 GHz dual core may be a bit too weak, but this of course depends on what you want to use it for.

Here you can see the specs compared to the G2

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5736&idPhone2=5543

haha yeah

don't need high pixel density, i actually think with low density screens you don't need a fast CPU

dual SIM important to me yes

from what I understand it's not THAT cheap. Something in the 14,000baht range if I understand correctly.

a lot of the high-spec phones basically have stuff i don't need, and just makes the phone more painful to replace when it's inevitably broken/lost/stolen.

Norway... you're basically next door to Sweden right? That's one of the launch countries for the Sony Z1 Compact, which I think will be a good phone (and if they'd release a dual-SIM version... I might get it!)

• Like 1

Yes that's correct. I'm excited about the Z1 compact as well.. here Samsung is currently the market leader, not because their phones are better, but they can afford to spend billions on marketing..