Unfair Pricing

Misplaced

In response to the UNI posters.

UK nationals pay less tuition fees because they are subsidised by the government. Do you really expect the UK government to subsidise foreign nationals? I don't think the UK taxpayers would be very happy about that!!!!

I am completely against discriminatory pricing but that just isn't the best example.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet if you looked asian you wouldnt be paying local price, unless the people at the gate are just morons

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The rules and regulations were probably formulated along the lines of citizenship and nationality, i.e. regarding whether the person has contributed taxes or whatever to help towards the upkeep of the park, but the guy on gate just looks to see if you are Thai or not. He can't be bothered to ask Thai-looking Asians (who are not Thai) what nationality they are, so they get in cheap.

Try getting a tan, die your hair black, lose some weight - and height- you might get in for 20 baht.

chuchok

You say racist policy?

So you think dual pricing is just for WHITE people??

You know you are totally wrong, because its for TOURISTS.

Some people who are using this policy might be racists and only charge WHITE people as some people have said. But the universities all over the world also have dual pricing.

So your saying there ALL racist policies??

If you want to talk just Unis, then you are going to a different area.comparing Unis with say dual pricing at Thai national Parks is like comparing a car to a small fish.

I wouldn't bother ole mate, it's like trying to flog a dead horse. If they can't see they're being ripped off, racism or no racism, then tough titties.

Wellk Atleast we have all agreed that dual pricing is NOT racist.

Its all over the world, saying you cant compare other types of dual pricing is rediculas and lame.

Some people just complain about nothing, I mean some will complain the grass is green.

Its all over the world.

Yeah, but in Muang Thai we're being ripped off instead of them being given a discount. :o

Its all over the world.

Yeah, but in Muang Thai we're being ripped off instead of them being given a discount. :o

Well do they represent the whole policy?

Unless, of course, it is only applied to people of other races. Then it is racist. :o

The Thai nationals are getting a discount, just like all the ntionals over the world for uni fees :D

If I looked Thai/Asian I the chances are that I would not be asked to pay a higher price.If that's not racism, I don't know what is.

I bet if you looked asian you wouldnt be paying local price, unless the people at the gate are just morons

Not wishing to impune the gatekeeper's status, but that's precisely the point of the charge of this being a racist policy, because that's EXACTLY what DOES happen... if you were more experienced with the various National Parks here, you'd have noticed it yourself.

chuchok

You say racist policy?

Some people who are using this policy might be racists and only charge WHITE people as some people have said. But the universities all over the world also have dual pricing.

It's not JUST for tourists... it IS primarily for Caucasians.

Regarding the whole uni comparison, to equate to the Parks... if the unis didn't check national origin and charged according to the student's color, then that would be racist...

but I would guess that somewhere in the mountain of paperwork required for uni registration, that aspect of nationality would be covered. They charge ALL non-residents the higher rate. It's a nationalist policy, not a racist one.

As stated.... way back a dozen pages or so... to avoid the racist charge, check ID's of ALL park entrants... if Thai National, one rate... ALL others, another rate. Charge of racism drops.

Edited by sriracha john

If I looked Thai/Asian I the chances are that I would not be asked to pay a higher price.If that's not racism, I don't know what is.

Not wishing to impune the gatekeeper's status, but that's precisely the point of the charge of this being a racist policy, because that's EXACTLY what DOES happen... if you were more experienced with the various National Parks here, you'd have noticed it yourself.

chuchok

You say racist policy?

Regarding the whole uni comparison, to equate to the Parks... if the unis didn't check national origin and charged according to the student's color, then that would be racist...

but I would guess that somewhere in the mountain of paperwork required for uni registration, that aspect of nationality would be covered. They charge ALL non-residents the higher rate. It's a nationalist policy, not a racist one.

As stated.... way back a dozen pages or so... to avoid the racist charge, check ID's of ALL park entrants... if Thai National, one rate... ALL others, another rate. Charge of racism drops.

So you agree the POLICY is ok because its for non-residents, this natrional park must have morons on the gate because they have made THERE own rules.

I look asian and ive never ever paid local prices anywhere.

Plus you know the OP is Thai??

I don't think the policy is racist, even though it is a bit of a crap policy.

For instance, I don't look Thai, but have a Thai ID card. I get the local price.

My Australian Asian friends, who I try and tell the gate keeper are Thai's who have grown up in Australia get the non-thai price. I tell you what, they look a hel_l of a lot more Thai than I do. They all tell me, no ID, then you pay the international price.

chuchok

You say racist policy?

So you agree the POLICY is ok because its for non-residents, this natrional park must have morons on the gate because they have made THERE own rules.

I look asian and ive never ever paid local prices anywhere.

Plus you know the OP is Thai??

The policy is NOT ok... the employees represent the policy. It's not a one-off occurence. It happens at every Park I've been to across the length and breadth of this country. If it is implemented to that degree, it is no longer an individual making a racist decision, but an institutionalized racist policy.

Have you visited a National Park? Did you pay the local price there?

btw, and with all due respect... but you don't look Asian.

As for the OP being Thai... at a private hotel as opposed to a governmental establishment, it's a different issue... but then... with 300+ posts on this thread, I'd have expected we are discussing more than one topic.

I don't think the policy is racist, even though it is a bit of a crap policy.

For instance, I don't look Thai, but have a Thai ID card. I get the local price.

My Australian Asian friends, who I try and tell the gate keeper are Thai's who have grown up in Australia get the non-thai price. I tell you what, they look a hel_l of a lot more Thai than I do. They all tell me, no ID, then you pay the international price.

If you have ever remained silent upon approaching the gate,

As you don't look Thai, do they initially ask you to pay the higher rate?

And only then, when you produce the Thai ID card, did you pay the lower rate?

If they ask for the higher rate at first, based on their assumption that you are not Thai, it's a racist policy.

If they implemented that "no ID, you pay higher price" system nation-wide and on a consistent every-person basis, the racist policy would end.

At University of ILL and many others, the tuition more than doubled for non-residents. I guess all these Uni are a bunch of racist
I guess those racist people here aren't going to tell us how this is different from national parks charging different prices.

I'll type slow so you can grasp this principal.The difference to me is that I pay tax and look after a Thai family, yet places like National parks want to give me one up the jacksie . Can't you really see anything wrong with that? :D

OK, I get what you mean. But do you at least think it is not racism that it's about?

Must be difficult to live around racist people, eh? How did you got yourself stuck in a country like that? I hope you get all your luck and could escape one day.

My condolences.

Your condersending tone does not become you.

I did not say I lived around racist people.There are racist policies though.I thought you were brighter than that.(After all you must know what the word gwailo means :D )

The reason I am here is for family, not that it's any business of yours sunshine.

Have fun next time you come over here mixing with the lower class. (I believe these were you words, not mine.) :D

:D:D Wasn't being serious. Please don't take offense. :D

Have fun in TV. :o

Yes I do know what gwailo means.

Edited by meemiathai

it IS primarily for Caucasians.

How can you be so stubborn, SJ? As you pointed out so often that this topic has been discussed to death already, you still don't get it. I have said many many times, I am from HK and HK people looks asian(I suppose you know that?) and they pay the CAUCASION price. There has been an increase in the amount of people from HK complaining about the dual-pricing nowadays for HK has been adapting to the political correctness from the west quite well in the past few years.(Like putting a sticker on the surface of a cup that says cup)

I bet you do realize that different races do have a lot of difference in mentality. So for the thais they simply don't take it as such a serious issue. So they are doing it as they are out of convenience. Not racism.

And for those who think the dual-pricings in Unis and the national parks are different, WHY?

Still no one can explain. Why does my wife holding a thai passport have to pay over 3000baht for a tourist visa to get in the UK? Was it not judged by her race? Don't talk about other things, answer my 2 questions first! If you can or if you are willing to be reasonable to discuss here.

I bet you do realize that different races do have a lot of difference in mentality. So for the thais they simply don't take it as such a serious issue. So they are doing it as they are out of convenience. Not racism.

And for those who think the dual-pricings in Unis and the national parks are different, WHY?

Still no one can explain. Why does my wife holding a thai passport have to pay over 3000baht for a tourist visa to get in the UK? Was it not judged by her race? Don't talk about other things, answer my 2 questions first! If you can or if you are willing to be reasonable to discuss here.

As already mentioned, the UK gov is subsidizing the UK citizens. They are digging their hands in their pockets...are the Thai's subsidizing the NP entry fees from 200 baht to 20 baht for Thai citizens? no. Instead they are going in the other direction and increasing fees outrageously.

No, it was judged by the UK government on how much they have to pay to keep the embassy running and to pay embassy officers' wages to implement the visas, which would be inline with every other British Embassy in every other country issuing the citizens of that country visas to enter the uk... and nothing to do with race in the way you're suggesting. They're not saying, ah, sorry you're Thai, that's in fact going to cost you 20X more than an American, so 60,000 baht.

Why continue with this rhetoric? Have you not spent time here and know the way of the system that the farang is looked upon as a walking ATM and needs to be fleeced at every juncture?

Forgot this - :o:D

how about this as a thread killer.

The thai govt is subsidizing the national park to its the citizens thru dual pricing, where visitors to the country pay the higher price. the policy itself is not racist, but its implementation by the point of control sometimes is racist. :D

EXACTLY. They charge the hire fee to the Chinese, Africans, Eskimos, and all white (excluding people with Thai ID card). They are oppotunists...not racist

EXACTLY. They charge the hire fee to the Chinese, Africans, Eskimos, and all white (excluding people with Thai ID card). They are oppotunists...not racist

Which means they screw foreigners, that is the original topic of this thread.

Ok we all agree , you see it was easy uh!?! :D:o

Edited by KhunMarco

Which is racist! :D

Which is racist! :D

Shhhhhhhh, you are a troublemaker, aren't you :D

That's part of the problem, they don't often charge the higher fee to Asians, as I've seen countless times when entering with Taiwanese, Filipinos, even witnessing Japanese getting charged the Thai National rate as long as they didn't say anything and handed over their 20 baht.

For meemiathai:

The difference between the Parks and uni WAS described in the very post above that you quoted.

Give it another read.

If we could all agree that once Thailand implements a truly non-racist policy of checking everyone's ID and charging accordingly... that then reality of the racist policy would end... we could put this thread to rest.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The rules and regulations were probably formulated along the lines of citizenship and nationality, i.e. regarding whether the person has contributed taxes or whatever to help towards the upkeep of the park, but the guy on gate just looks to see if you are Thai or not. He can't be bothered to ask Thai-looking Asians (who are not Thai) what nationality they are, so they get in cheap.

Try getting a tan, die your hair black, lose some weight - and height- you might get in for 20 baht.

Jeezzz...having a go at the small and the fat people now too! :o

That's part of the problem, they don't often charge the higher fee to Asians, as I've seen countless times when entering with Taiwanese, Filipinos, even witnessing Japanese getting charged the Thai National rate as long as they didn't say anything and handed over their 20 baht.

For meemiathai:

The difference between the Parks and uni WAS described in the very post above that you quoted.

Give it another read.

If we could all agree that once Thailand implements a truly non-racist policy of checking everyone's ID and charging accordingly... that then reality of the racist policy would end... we could put this thread to rest.

Wish that was true. I'm 1/2 asian and I generally get charged the higher fee. To be honest, all the fees are minimal and its to upkeep the parks.

Wish that was true. I'm 1/2 asian and I generally get charged the higher fee. To be honest, all the fees are minimal and its to upkeep the parks.

At a guess, I would say that about 10% of the money goes towards the parks.

Some say that time = money. With all of the time spent on this topic (jeez... 22 pages!), one could have visited every national park in thailand at least once!

There are certain times during the year that even Disneyland has dual pricing for entry. A low price for the locals, and a normal (higher) price for visitors. This is not racism, it's merely a pricing scheme to lure in the locals.

5-10 times the regular fee is not minimal in my book.

If you think 200 baht is not much money for a country like Thailand it means you keep thinking with your farang part.

And that's how the so said "Tourist Traps" prosper and grow.

They know it's not much for the avg farang, so they screw "you" thanks to the ignorance of the avg tourist.

That 's bad practice anywhere in the world, honestly I can't see why it's not here.

Edited by KhunMarco