My dog has demodectic mange

My dog has demodectic mange. For the last couple of years I have tried many treatments and all have failed. My son even brought over from Switzerland, borax. This was another treatment that didn't help. We are continuously buying so called treatments from the Vets. to no avail. I shampoo the dog about every three days with special shampoo as advised, but the poor thing is scratching its eyes and nose to bits. Does anyone know of a cure, or at least something to relieve the itching?

tons of info here about that; but i have only one word: ivermectin. injected... or oral dosage but injected in the beginning... any vet in thailand will have the stuff and all vets have experience with mange...

possibly some antibiotics if there is infection from the scratching...

feeding good foods/ either raw bone /meat foods or decent prepared foods, because mange is a mite that becomes active on dogs that have low immune systems...

you can buy ivermectin *(ivomac, imectin, etc) in most animal stores in thailand, can be sub cutaneosly injected, or given orally, the dosages are in the internet (always written thta the stuff is for cows only, but given to dogs except for collies and collie mixes)...

tons of info here about that; but i have only one word: ivermectin. injected... or oral dosage but injected in the beginning... any vet in thailand will have the stuff and all vets have experience with mange...

feeding good foods/ either raw bone /meat foods or decent prepared foods, because mange is a mite that becomes active on dogs that have low immune systems...

you can buy ivermectin *(ivomac, imectin, etc) in most animal stores in thailand, can be sub cutaneosly injected, or given orally, the dosages are in the internet (always written thta the stuff is for cows only, but given to dogs except for collies and collie mixes)...

Why not collies?

Ivermectin is an effective drug for the treatment of mange, but, the required doses are very high. Have your dog checked for heart worm BEFORE you use the drug, it could be fatal if you use it and the dog has heart worms.

Why not collies?

Explanation here: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announcements/ivermectin/

Two of my dogs suffer from demodectic mange which until recently was treated by our local vet with a ivermectin injection when symptoms flared up with a small amount of relief for the pooches.

However I recently visited a vet in Udon Thani who told me that mange had to treated intensively and the mites completely wiped out for a proper cure , the mites evidentally live deep in the hair follicles and are hard to eliminate.

To this end we started a one month treatment of ..one ivermectin injection per week for 4 weeks plus a one month course of tablet and liquid antibiotics ,tick and mange shampoo and a wash which is daubed on the whole body and left to dry.

They started the treatment two weeks ago (3rd injection due today) and the results are amazing ,all scratching has ceased and hair is growing back where they had torn it all out..

She made up the months treatment including 8 loaded hyperdemic needles so I could administer the treatment here on the farm ,cost was about 1000 baht for two poodles.the vet was adament that good quality ivermectin must be used (she uses German manufactured ).

This sounds more like it. Thanks for your imput.

Two of my dogs suffer from demodectic mange which until recently was treated by our local vet with a ivermectin injection when symptoms flared up with a small amount of relief for the pooches.

However I recently visited a vet in Udon Thani who told me that mange had to treated intensively and the mites completely wiped out for a proper cure , the mites evidentally live deep in the hair follicles and are hard to eliminate.

To this end we started a one month treatment of ..one ivermectin injection per week for 4 weeks plus a one month course of tablet and liquid antibiotics ,tick and mange shampoo and a wash which is daubed on the whole body and left to dry.

They started the treatment two weeks ago (3rd injection due today) and the results are amazing ,all scratching has ceased and hair is growing back where they had torn it all out..

She made up the months treatment including 8 loaded hyperdemic needles so I could administer the treatment here on the farm ,cost was about 1000 baht for two poodles.the vet was adament that good quality ivermectin must be used (she uses German manufactured ).

Just be careful before you start the treatment with ivermectin. Have a blood test performed to insure that your dog does not have heart worm. Ivermectin , in therapeutic doses, is and effective control of heart worm as it kills the larva before they hatch. However, if your dog does have adult heart worms in his circulatory system, the dosages of ivermectin required to control the mites will also kill the adult heart worms. The chances of blood clots and death are real! Don't jsut but it and start the treatment without consulting your vet!

Will do. Thanks

Just be careful before you start the treatment with ivermectin. Have a blood test performed to insure that your dog does not have heart worm. Ivermectin , in therapeutic doses, is and effective control of heart worm as it kills the larva before they hatch. However, if your dog does have adult heart worms in his circulatory system, the dosages of ivermectin required to control the mites will also kill the adult heart worms. The chances of blood clots and death are real! Don't jsut but it and start the treatment without consulting your vet!

i agree about the different ivermectins... ive used many different brands; and found that some just dont really work well: from spain , for instance (in these cases the patients were sheep and goats but true for all. )

collies: some kind of genetic thing....

dosage: one of the few times where more is better: underdosing ivermectin just creates hardy resistant mites and is a waste of money and inaffective. if using oral percentage, must use more. if using injectable, its according to instructions unless u are using the injectable solution as an oral solution, and there are instructions for that also. ivermectin comes in various %% so if u buy your own (over internet or in agri store) make sure to read and double check.

there is some leeway with overdosing with ivermectin/

the mites live and lay their eggs in teh skin... basically, demodetic mange is what you know as scabies only there are different mites for different animals, ans some go over to humans and some dont.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner brought back from his home up country a shitzu bitch. She was covered in tick and flea bites and had demodectic mange. Not a pretty sight and very underweight (3kgs).

She was treated at the vets for months with very little change to the mange. Can't remember if it was ivermectin, but while she was being treated she had no appetite either. As the mange is usually on all dogs, but they only have problems if their immune systems are compromised, I decided to try a different tack. Stopped treatment and started her on a raw chicken diet, bones, skin, fat and all (+vitamin supplements for a few weeks). She was also spayed, as the stress of a season can depress the immune system. Her appetite improved tremendously once off the meds and on the raw diet and within a few weeks she was putting on weight and no longer scratching.

The problem with standard drug treatments from the vets is that they can be quite toxic to some dogs and they don't address the underlying problem that the dog's immune system is not functioning so well.

If you don't want to feed raw chicken, try cheap frozen minced salmon from Macro and add mashed carrots and garlic. A bit less messy. We changed her diet to that later on as one of our other dogs had skin problems (not mange and never diagnosed) but thought it could be a food allergy. They are all healthy now and the shitzu is now 6kgs and a very happy little dog with lovely long hair and not a bald patch or skin irritation in sight.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by mls

Thanks for the advice. Today I have repeated the borax treatment after bathing the dog in a canine medicated shampoo. I have been doing this every three or four days for a couple of weeks and she seems to have improved but still scratches her ears and snout, making them bleed. This time I have insisted that the Elizabethan collar stays on for a reasonable time to see if this will solve the problem- my wife doesn't like to leave it on for more than an hour as she thinks it a bit cruel. Having said that, when the collar is on, the dog makes no attempt to scratch. What is the old saying"You have to be cruel to be kind?' Maybe the scratching has become more of a habit.I hope so. Meanwhile I'll have a go with the diet you have suggested. Thanks again.

I have been struggling with it with my bullterrier for over 12 years. Chronic demodex is not to cure I believe after trying out all available medicines and diets and spending .....you do not want to know....Money is not important when you see your dog scratching itself same as a retard with a cheese grater. We eventually found a good mix to stabilize with a mix of daily vitamins especially for dogs to build up the immune system on one hand and breaking it off but destroying the little MFers in the hair follicle with Ivermectine orally (be very careful about the dosage per kg) and once a month Advocate. Good Luck!!

I have been breeding dog for 25 year and I have today 20 dogs at home.

One of my Golden Labrador female has has many episode of demodectic mangue.

There is better medicine than ivermectine.

The best is AMITRAZ

YOU CAN FIND IN MARKET SUCH AS chachuchak this is a product for cow which give very good result with dog.

Dilute one cc in 500 ml of water. Make shampoo of the whole dog body. Protect u hand with rubber glove and avoid dog eyes. Let the medicine dry and work.

U should repeat it once a week for a few weeks.

It is really the best treatment which exist.

If u don t want to buy the full 100 cc bootle, u may buy 10 cc in a syringe.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share some information that may help your pup.

I rescued a pit bull pup (8 weeks old) that had been dumped by a dumpster :-(

The poor guy was completely covered on fleas, mites, and scabs. He looked a mess and seemed miserable. I took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with the mange. He was given an injection and a dip. I was told he would need to be seen in a few weeks. The injection didn't seem to work at all. He was still biting and itching to the point of no sleep. I felt so bad for the little guy. So I did a lot of searching and came across a recipe that has worked wonders for my baby Apollo.

4 cups warm water

2 cups 1% hydrogen peroxide

8 tablespoons of Borax

* mix all the ingredients in metal bowl until most of the borax is dissolved( there may be some settled at the bottom). Use a sponge, or wash cloth and soak the dog with the mixture. Once you're finished, let the dog air dry on a warm towel. This treatment can be administered every 4 days.

I noticed an immediate difference the next day! He's not biting or itching the spots. His skin is not red anymore, and the hair us growing back.

Also, I bathed him first with an oatmeal shampoo to help soothe his skin.

3 parts ground oatmeal

2 parts baking soda

4 parts warm water

You can also use as a dry shampoo minus the water.

I hope someone finds this helpful!

• 1 year later...

You are chasing your own tail by following much of the advice on the web re your pet's problem. This topic is persistent despite being addressed ad infinitum. Here for instance is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/523835-cant-get-rid-of-ticks-help/page-2 see #38

And my own advice, given 3 years ago, and it worked and continues to work for all seven of my dogs, after going thru what you and others have, is as fols:

VORMEC PLUS (ivermectin tablets) (FOR DOGS ONLY)is the solution to almost all your troubles.

I first tried all of the expensive Frontline and similar pills and sprays, plus Batocol - none worked. Ticks went on about their blood feast on my Rotts as if nothing occurred.

I came across VORMEC PLUS three or four years ago and my pets and I have never looked back. I first used liquid vermectin when 2 of my dogs mysteriously came down with mange 5 yrs ago, and vermectin cured the mange in 4-5 weeks with no recurrence.

VORMEC PLUS controls and prevents:

heart worm

round worm

hook worm

Ticks

Fleas

earmites

Demodectic mange, and

Sarcoptic mange.

A pack of 10 tiny chewable tablets (1 per month) costs ~300Baht for the 40Kg-dog version [ivermectin 12,000mcg tablets].

Less for smaller sized dogs. The tablets are the diameter of a pencil eraser and about 1mm thick. The dogs readily chew them.

My friends also use these tablets to their dogs' delight.

Letz see if I can upload the image of the VORMEC PLUS package.

You will have to shop around but there are pet supply shops selling them.

May your petz be ever eased of their scourges and their owners equally at peace.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-23872-0-39724900-1333508528_thumb.j

Also my addendum at #39:

^^ The recommended normal dosage is 1 tablet in 1 month, once per week is intensive for the management of skin parasites (mange) only.

Best in the case of mange to go for the liquid ivermectin (from Holland and sold in farm animal medicinal shops) subcutaneous injections for 5-6 weeks. Checking with a veterinarian doctor before usage is a given.

Check and follow the directions folks - please. See attachment.

'Saving the village by burning it down' probably best describes overdosing your pet.

Medicating pets correctly is problematic under the best of conditions; doing it incorrectly can prove fatal fast.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-23872-0-94484600-1333512891_thumb.j

Edited by ataloss, 2012-04-04 11:14:58.

Try Vormec Plus, your petz will really luv you for it!