improving weak internet

beau thai

In my condo I have the choice of weak wifi internet or almost as weak adsl cable.

Given that I have no control over ISP or communal router is there anything sensible to try, to reduce the drop off occurences, and speed.

Thinking maybe some sort of booster kit I can plug into adsl terminal where laptop currently plugs in? Or would a good router plugged in there, boost the signal?

Also the cable is about 4 metres long and I wonder if a better cable might help, or is that just smoke and mirrors from cable makers??

I dont feel I am well up on the latest gadgets but I know some of you guys out there are pretty knowledgable about this stuff so hoping for some help.

I predict some helpful soul will suggest I move but not up for that!

Did you consider moving?

Sorry:p

Nice one! clap2.gif

I knew someone would not be able to resist the 'helpful' suggestion, even though I tried to forestall it. Thai Visa is sooo predictable now!

But I owe you, one so will look for your postings! hehe...

Ok op, two things, you need to find out is the wireless router in your condo is wireless N as this is the strongest network, now if you are using an older laptop with wireless B or wireless G card, buy a usb wireless N card and you will find a great improvement..

Actually the last poster is somewhat correct, how far are you away from the wireless router in your condo? as the closer you are to the wireless router in your hallway the stronger and faster your signal is,

When I move into an condo here I always look to see where the wireless router is in the hallway and get an apt next to the wireless router,

So in theory you could move condo in the same con do building to get better internet, but for me I would complaint to the condo management and be strong with them and tell them that your paying for the service and you need it for your work/ or to contact your family.. and they may install an extra wireless router near your condo as I got one building to do for me in the past..

P.s if any of that technically talk is not understandable, post again and ill explain in more detail..

Hope this helps as I know how important having a good internet connection over here is..

Edited by lmfao

If your adsl is weak, not a lot you can do, which would suggest why your wifi is weak also. You could ask for an access point to be installed nearer to your condo.

You've got it I think. As the adsl is weak whatever I do with wifi is likely to be ineffective? But what do you mean about 'access point'? If you mean where my adsl cable plugs in, that is in the room, like the tv aerial connection-or do I misunderstand you?

Any benefit to upgrade the cable wire do you think??

Edited by beau thai

No benefit with different cable. If your wifi is only on one bar, then a wireless access point may help. Which is basically a wired cable from the router, which then provides wifi nearer your room.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Op, it is very likely your apartment has a cheapo package from their ISP and nothing you could do at the front end would help. Reply #1 is probably on the money.

Get yourself a smartpone, if you haven't already, have a 3G package as backup (AIS/DTAC) and hotspot that to your PC/Mac... just don't download movies with it. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Both in our office and at home we have 3BB. In both places we replaced the basic free crappy router you get from 3bb with a proper one. "Belkin D600" I believe. About 2500Thb just for the router but it made a big difference. We didn't upgrade the Internet connection. Only the router/modem. Those small 3BB boxes can't handle more than 2 or 3 wifi devices at once an heat up very quick.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app