Blast at anti-govt march raises tensions in Bangkok

webfact

Blast at Antigovernment March Raises Tensions in Bangkok
By THOMAS FULLER
The New York Times

BANGKOK — An attack on antigovernment protesters in Bangkok on Friday, most likely with a grenade, killed one person and injured more than 30, intensifying tensions in the city as a dwindling but dedicated core of protesters continues to block access to a number of government buildings and major intersections.

The explosion occurred in broad daylight in central Bangkok as the protesters were marching down a street, leaving people dazed and bleeding. It remained unclear hours after the attack who was responsible, with the protesters blaming the government but refusing to allow a forensics team to investigate the site fully because, they said, they do not trust the police.

“The use of a war weapon is of particular concern,” said Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher in Thailand at Human Rights Watch. “Thailand cannot allow this cycle to spin into something more dangerous.” [read more...]

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/world/asia/blast-bangkok.html

-- The New York Times 2014-01-18

I hope this isn't seen as off topic but i would like to ask fellow posters who do not live in the Bkk area if there's any indication of stepped up security in their home area.

I ask because today, for the first time in a long time, I went into Udon Thani and at Central Plaza Shopping Complex only one of the two entrances to the car park was in use and the security guards were checking the underside of vehicles with a extension mirror as well as opening boots. I should say that the staff and motorcycle park on the other side of the complex had a guard on duty and he was doing nothing.

Udon is roughly 500 Kms away from Bkk and is a VERY red area.

Day old news already. Now three murdered and 33 injured. Both Police and Military, were there to investigate, right after the incident,as seen on live Television, so I don't know, why people keep saying that police wasn't allowed to investigate

as far as dwindling numbers go, look on Bluesky.tv, where you can see things, as they happen, not hear about it later, altered, through various propaganda machines wai2.gif

Because the protestors don't trust the police is why. And that is a quote from the PDRC guard in the post today... And one hasn't thought of this already? Gee synapses are firing pretty quickly the last couple of days, you already know this so why ask the question. PDRC don't like the police.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is so sad. The problem is that you cannot reason with some people. When they get upset they lose control. I'm sure there are a lot more grenades in the hands of wrong people. Great advertising for Thailand too. Tourists are particularly fond of visiting countries where bombings take place and granades are thrown around.

• Like 1

I wouldn't dare call this Activity on the street of BKK as protest in respect to the people of Egypt , turkey or better yet Ukrainien who knew how to stage world class protest.

I would just classify this as 4 th of July parade the Thai way with all the cute hats and ribbons cute whistles and the one that tops them are these foot massage stations.

What kind of protests are these?

No wonder the international media is paying no attention to this

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Do you have evidence, that the attack has any connection to the "monstrous administration"?

And, please: I said evidence!

Voices in ones head do not count as evidence!

No, but we have video evidence that it was a yellow shirt. But that will obviously not sway these people, who blame the government for everything.

With the dwindling number of PDRC protesters plus the throwing of bomb like from nowhere, the security agencies and intelligence agencies must remain vigilant in carrying out their duties even though the number of protesters is getting smaller. Judging from the previous behavious of PDRC leaders, they are going to use the incident they created to incite people to take irrational action and to up their number again. Their number may be small now, but their irrational actions can be devastatingly damaging.

• Like 1

Day old news already. Now three murdered and 33 injured. Both Police and Military, were there to investigate, right after the incident,as seen on live Television, so I don't know, why people keep saying that police wasn't allowed to investigate

as far as dwindling numbers go, look on Bluesky.tv, where you can see things, as they happen, not hear about it later, altered, through various propaganda machines wai2.gif

And what is Blue Sky Tv...if not a propaganda machine. No adverts and financed by who.....interesting

This article from the New York Times demonstrates that international coverage is beginning to sift what is really happening here, simply by laying it out in a balanced way. And it is becoming clearer here too. Thirty minutes after the bomb attack that shocked the nation, injured dozens, and killed one - the administration released a statement that didn't mention the bomb attack once. Not once. No outrage. No mentioning of it at all. Not one solitary sentence. Instead, the administration focused their continued rage towards the protest movement, threatening action against all those who attend, or don't attend but still sympathize, all those who donate to it, all state officials who declare their support for the protests. The administration's threat also included extended members of their families.

Again, this was 30 minutes after this terrorist attack on the Thai men and women on the streets, walking peacefully, cheering, hand in hand. What monstrous administration is it ? Simple - it's the one the people want to replace.

It would have brought out the claims... oh, well prepared statement.. She must have know what was happening blah blah blah.

Very interesting the the foreign media is that many journalists were also being kept well away from the area, inc. prior to it. Interesting debate on twitter going on now. All suspiscion is on PDRC other than Bluesky.

Bluesky minutes after the incident were reporting on the "arms find" and straight away BBC were asking them (Bluesky) how he could have laid in wait for days when the route was only decided moments before. Bluesky went into their usual.. you falangs don't understand us, you are all paid by thaksin routine.

There is a dividing line in Thailand now with this protest. there are people on both sides of that line. What we are seeing this past few days that the extremists are holding firm, but that the people closest to the line on the suthep side are starting to cross back over and are shunning him.

He is therefore in a position now where he has to hope for gulible thais to swallow his story and stay with him. His educated support started to bail out long ago. BP op. ed. all been against him for months, with 1 notable exception.

lets pray the real whiteshirt movement can keep separate from the reds, and seize the day here.... #reclaimbangkok

• Like 2

I hope this isn't seen as off topic but i would like to ask fellow posters who do not live in the Bkk area if there's any indication of stepped up security in their home area.

I ask because today, for the first time in a long time, I went into Udon Thani and at Central Plaza Shopping Complex only one of the two entrances to the car park was in use and the security guards were checking the underside of vehicles with a extension mirror as well as opening boots. I should say that the staff and motorcycle park on the other side of the complex had a guard on duty and he was doing nothing.

Udon is roughly 500 Kms away from Bkk and is a VERY red area.

Well given the history of the red shirts you might want to be grateful that they do have security checks in the heart of the red country.

Because the protestors don't trust the police is why. And that is a quote from the PDRC guard in the post today... And one hasn't thought of this already? Gee synapses are firing pretty quickly the last couple of days, you already know this so why ask the question. PDRC don't like the police.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well that was a brilliant post. The protestors don't trust the police.

Wake up the protestors don't trust the Shinawatra clan and want them out of power. That would mean the power in the police force would have to go. The protestors are calling for an end to the nepotism. Of course they don't trust the police. Do you?

• Like 1

kurtgruen, on 18 Jan 2014 - 13:54, said:

Clutching at straws

And what is Blue Sky Tv...if not a propaganda machine. No adverts and financed by who.....interesting

You are wrong, on the "no adverts". They sell all kind of infomercial and commercial time. Just depends on when you log on. Propaganda, yes, from everybody, including them, I agree, but at least it's live and you can see it as it happens, or doesn't happen. If it was a live Red channel, I would watch it, too. I don't like spin doctored, second hand information wai2.gif

Do you have evidence, that the attack has any connection to the "monstrous administration"?

No, but we have video evidence that it was a yellow shirt. But that will obviously not sway these people, who blame the government for everything.

No, "we" don't!

"We" have a blurry piece of video- footage that may show this or that!

Unfortunately, in this crazy country, right and wrong are not that clearly defined and I am not one, who says this side or that side is right.

This article from the New York Times demonstrates that international coverage is beginning to sift what is really happening here, simply by laying it out in a balanced way. And it is becoming clearer here too. Thirty minutes after the bomb attack that shocked the nation, injured dozens, and killed one - the administration released a statement that didn't mention the bomb attack once. Not once. No outrage. No mentioning of it at all. Not one solitary sentence. Instead, the administration focused their continued rage towards the protest movement, threatening action against all those who attend, or don't attend but still sympathize, all those who donate to it, all state officials who declare their support for the protests. The administration's threat also included extended members of their families.

Again, this was 30 minutes after this terrorist attack on the Thai men and women on the streets, walking peacefully, cheering, hand in hand. What monstrous administration is it ? Simple - it's the one the people want to replace.

You are seriously beginning to sound like a broke record.

I have no evidence other than it was a military weapon used not a pipe bomb or home made one such as the red shirts hid around Bangkok after they got their ass kicked in 2010.

Is not a military weapon a government item?

Just pointing it out. Make what excuses ever you may out of it.

You are seriously beginning to sound like a broke record.

I have no evidence other than it was a military weapon used not a pipe bomb or home made one such as the red shirts hid around Bangkok after they got their ass kicked in 2010.

Is not a military weapon a government item?

Just pointing it out. Make what excuses ever you may out of it.

Silly me...I was thinking, I wasn't even talking to you...