Inexpensive Notary in Chiang Mai ?

wolfmanjack

I need to get some documents notarized.

Anyone know of an inexpensive notary in Chiang Mai?

I can get a notary for $10 in the USA that will do more than one page if necessary but the least expensive I have found here in Chiang Mai is 1,000 baht per page that needs notarized.

Thanks for any help.

Oscar2 is correct. Thai notary is not valid in the US. The consulate is your only choice if you need it for documents to be used in the US.

BUT, if it is for somthing that just needs to look "official" a Thai lawyer notray may be accepted. I had a loan documents notarised by a Thai lawyer and they were accepted by my US bank. I wouldn't do that for anything that might sow up in a court case such as divorce child custody etc. though

As has been pointed out, make sure that a Thai notary is good enough. There is no notary under Thai law, only a course approved by the layers Council allowing lawyers who have followed the course to call them self notary. But it is not regulated by law, just a regulation of the lawyers council. Meaning that the document can be challenged as not being notarized and in that case a judge will probably agree.

I believe the US consulate does provide notary service that are legally accepted in the US. Check with them.

Thanks for all the posts. It is for a power of attorney and i have used the Lawyer notary in the past.

I will check into the banks service.

It just annoyed me that the thai lawyer charges 300 baht per hour for their time but charges 1,000 baht to notarize which only takes a few minutes and my lawyer in the USA charges $250 per hour for his time but only $10 for a notary. Didn't seem right to me.

• 1 year later...

Legally Thailand is not a signatory to the notary public legal convention.. Hence there are no Thai notary publics, there are some who are semi certified but those documents may need further certification by MFA or embassy etc.. Depends on who they are going to and their needs.

You can of course get documents 'certified'... For non US tax purposes this may be enough.. As a Brit certified is usually good enough.

I have a lawyer / part time policewoman who will do them at a sensible price and discount multiple pages. PM if needed.

Legally Thailand is not a signatory to the notary public legal convention.. Hence there are no Thai notary publics, there are some who are semi certified but those documents may need further certification by MFA or embassy etc.. Depends on who they are going to and their needs.

You can of course get documents 'certified'... For non US tax purposes this may be enough.. As a Brit certified is usually good enough.

I have a lawyer / part time policewoman who will do them at a sensible price and discount multiple pages. PM if needed.

Certain banks in UK will only accept notorised documents from the British Embassy.

Most banks in the US will provide notary service for free for customers but that does not help you here in Thailand

If going to the US Consulate is a burden I have used an online notary service that is legally recognized in the US. All you need is an Internet connection and a cam

www.notarycam.com

The "international notary service" is interesting. I looked at the web site. It isn't cheap: US$79, $29 more than the US consulate costs. There might also be some extra charges for mailing and other handling, but I did not check.

Another consideration is with privacy and security concerns in sharing a potentially sensitive document electronically. That should be considered.

Thanks for all the posts. It is for a power of attorney and i have used the Lawyer notary in the past.

I will check into the banks service.

It just annoyed me that the thai lawyer charges 300 baht per hour for their time but charges 1,000 baht to notarize which only takes a few minutes and my lawyer in the USA charges $250 per hour for his time but only $10 for a notary. Didn't seem right to me.

Did you miss a zero or so in your "the thai lawyer charges 300 baht per hour"?

• Like 2