Non International diving licence, 400 bht fine

MRGTINGTONG

Just been stopped in police road block in main road Hua Hin not far from market village, stopping all motor bikes. Showed my uk driving licence which I thought covered you all over the world, they told me I need an international one and fined me 400 bht on the spot, got quite a few fines from others as well.

Where could I obtain an international drivers licence.

You can get an IDL at land transport in Bangkok. Search web for details. Land Transport Authority of Thailand Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can get an IDL in Thailand if you have a Thai driver's license, but not for a foreign driver's license. The OP would need to gey the IDL in the UK (AA/RAC...) - about the same price as a 400 Baht fine!

Same in Australia, we just go to our local Auto association (Like AAA) and they can issue you a International

Driving Permit if you have an Australian driving license.

This brings up another interesting point that some travel insurance policies do not cover you for accident if you don't have an international permit or local license.

Make sure you read all the fine print on your travel insurance policy

And if you don't have a motorcycle license in your own home country then almost no travel insurance policy wil cover you in Thailand for any injury or damage resulting from a motorcycle accident.... As they say

Let the buyer beware

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You have to apply for a IDP (International Driving Permit) in your home country.

Other option is to get a Thai Driving license.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

A friend off mine, has gotten a thai driving licence without all this papers. Only with a tourist visa. His girlfriend knows some high person. Could he get in trouble if he shoud have an accident ?

Sorry for my English spelling, I am not used to write it.

Thank you for any comment.

IDP or Thai licence has been most places for a number of years now. IDP is obtained from Post Office in UK. Gone are the days of showing your library or gym membership card and getting away with it.biggrin.png

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

You have to apply for a IDP (International Driving Permit) in your home country.

Other option is to get a Thai Driving license.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

A friend off mine, has gotten a thai driving licence without all this papers. Only with a tourist visa. His girlfriend knows some high person. Could he get in trouble if he shoud have an accident ?

Sorry for my English spelling, I am not used to write it.

Thank you for any comment.

No problem to get an 1 year temporary license on a tourist via or even a visa exempt stamp.

To get the 5 year license that you can use abroad you need to have the temp license for a year and have a non-immigrant visa status.

Your friend should have no problems.

IDP or Thai licence has been most places for a number of years now. IDP is obtained from Post Office in UK. Gone are the days of showing your library or gym membership card and getting away with it.biggrin.png

The catch 22 is I think you need to show proof of your UK address to get an IDP issued for a UK licence.

Cheaper and easier to get a Thai one if your living here.

• Like 1

If you have a UK address, then you can apply for an IDL through the AA. By having an IDL, and applying for a Thai DL, it saves you from taking a full Thai driving test.

An IDP costs around GBP 5.50 from provincial post offices or the AA/RAC and is valid for a year.

Applicable link: http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

HTH

Edited by evadgib

I was under the impression you could drive here on a foreign license for up to 3 months (might have got that length of time wrong).

Therefore they would have to check your passport to find out if you were in the country longer than that.

Best bet as others have said, get a Thai license...

• 1 month later...

Just unlucky, I get stopped on a regular basis just have only 200 baht in your wallet when pulling out the fine.

There should be an agreement with UK and Thailand where you don't need the idp, they have a cheek asking for it.

They got me near the tessaban and said 400. Isaid, ok just give me the ticket and I'll go pay it. They hemmed and hawed and I asked again for the ticket. Clearly they didn't want to write an official ticket (surprise!) so I offered 200 and no ticket. They jumped at it. Then they asked if I wanted or neded a TGF.

From traffic cops to pimps as fast as you can say "200, no ticket."

What a country!

BTW, I keep the IDP in the bike storage under the seat, that way its always with me. Best place, you only need it while on the bike.

Edited by johnnyk

That was tea money not a fine. Next time offer 200.00 and move on.

Right answer. Had the OP pulled out an IDP, the offense would have moved on to something else. If the OP didn't get a receipt, that's further proof it's just tea money.

I've only been pulled over once in Thailand, for a non-offense, and offered 300 baht instead of the 500 he requested. Next time I'll try 200 baht, but it's simply not worth risking a real bad day for a few bucks. I just look at it as a circle of life kind of thing.

BTW, I got my 1 year Thai DL with just a Texas DL, no IDP required to bypass the actual driving test. Just the ridiculous eye and reaction tests. A year later, I got a 5 year Thai DL with the same.

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Chiang Mai and have Thai driving license.

Due to the ultra short time a Yellow traffic light is illuminated I crossed as it changed Red.

I was rightly pulled up and ordered to go to Main Police Station to pay fine also they confiscated my license.

At Police Station I reported to two Sgts sat at desk.

Senior, older guy says B400.

Since when has it been a crime to go through a red light, drivers do it all the time ?

Both burst out laughing, enjoyed a joke in Thai, then the senior banged his finger on the table, his junior was still roaring his head off and Says B400 You Pay.

They were still giggling after I paid and left.

john

I was under the impression you could drive here on a foreign license for up to 3 months (might have got that length of time wrong).

Therefore they would have to check your passport to find out if you were in the country longer than that.

Best bet as others have said, get a Thai license...

I was too. But last year got stopped in Trat where the Fuzz are a bit more switched on and got nicked for no IDP. Where we live in Isaan they never ask. Also got nicked for no road tax thanks to my good lady forgetting to renew it.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

I live in Chiang Mai and have Thai driving license.

Due to the ultra short time a Yellow traffic light is illuminated I crossed as it changed Red.

I was rightly pulled up and ordered to go to Main Police Station to pay fine also they confiscated my license.

At Police Station I reported to two Sgts sat at desk.

Senior, older guy says B400.

Since when has it been a crime to go through a red light, drivers do it all the time ?

Both burst out laughing, enjoyed a joke in Thai, then the senior banged his finger on the table, his junior was still roaring his head off and Says B400 You Pay.

They were still giggling after I paid and left.

john

Should have been 1,000 Baht apparently.

Thaidriving.pdf