Phuket Opinion: You call that a hill?

Lite Beer

An accurate article in all ways..good explanation of what does happen.

The last sentence, whilst absolutely correct is, IMO not a frequent occurance tho' i cant recall reports of any light vehicle ''losing brakes' on this hill

All the heavy vehicles whose drivers cause brake failure by doing exactly as OP says use airbrakes, not hydraulic,

• Like 2

All the heavy vehicles whose drivers cause brake failure by doing exactly as OP says use airbrakes, not hydraulic,

Perhaps that is the issue, improper training for that class of braking. Some countries, such as the US, require specific training and licensing to drive airbrake equipped vehicles.

• Like 1

The writer of the article must either be new to Thailand or simply doesn't get out much.

He asks the question: Where and how do the drivers of these vehicles get their licenses to operate these vehicles? Loathe as I am to use popular slang but surely this is a 'no brainer'.

Who does he think he is to state, to quote a famous Brit, 'the bleedin' obvious' to those of us who live here?

As an afterthought - can I have his job - if he actually gets paid for this?

Edited by Johnnie99

An article that states the obvious. It needs to be read by all drivers and truck/bus drivers in particular.

Signage posted at the top of the hill in both directions telling drivers to gear down would help to remind

drivers. Of course proper training and licencing of professional drivers would be even better. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps that is the issue, improper training for that class of braking. Some countries, such as the US, require specific training and licensing to drive airbrake equipped vehicles.

I agree, there usually is ''extra training''needed for airbraking vehicles,as there are different and important proceedures to adhere to, but here in LOS there appears to be no training required for any class of vehicles..

point of interest..has anyone seen the actual theory test/driving ability required to be passed to gain a heavy vehicle license ?

I presume one does exist.

I ride bikes around the north and regularly go to various mountain roads and high points..

Each and every time, when theres car drivers there, you can smell the brakes where they just ride them all the way down cooking them.

Letting the engine take that strain seems to be simply unheard of.

• Like 1

Coming from British Columbia and being involved in road engineering, one problem in the mountains often over looked in the grade brakes.

In B.C. you are limited to the amount of percentage a grade changes in Thailand you don't have any guidelines on mountain roads. Have

seen trucks out of control because of not shifting down when going into a steep downhill grade. No warning signs on said grade.

Preventative maintenance is an unfathomable concept in LOS.

An occasional vehicle inspection might help stats.

Is it vehicle or driver failure that's the problem? It's the failure to deal with the problem...it's Thailand.

• Like 1