Vanessa Mae is set to ski for Thailand at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should be where you are a citizen - it's a nonsense as she would not even make the first round in Britain

holds a British passport let her compete for her country not sneak in through Thailand

She has a Thai passport so she's Thai and the Olympics people are okay with it so good for her. But you know, you really ought to tell the IOC how things 'should be'.

Some just don't read beyond the 1st post or else he would have seen multiple times she has a Thai passport and citizenship.

Oh, and it is confirmed now that she has qualified for the Olympics: BTW, she has been skiing since she was 4.

Legendary violinist Vanessa Mae has qualified for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, where she will represent Thailand.

Mae’s manager Giles Holland told the BBC: "It would appear that she's done it. She's done it by a whisker, but she's done it."

The news was later confirmed by the FIS, skiing's governing body, whose representative Ana Jelusic said that Mae "ticks all the boxes," having gained the required level of points in at least five slalom or giant slalom races.

Mae, 35, is British but her father is Thai, meaning she is eligible to represent the South East Asian nation.

And, after putting her music career on hold for 12 months, she has met the FIS eligibility criteria to compete for a country that does not have a world top-500 winter athlete.

uk.eurosport

quote please? re-read the whole piece - no mention she has Thai citizenship in fact:

"I am taking a plunge. I am British, but realistically there is no way I could represent my own country.

edit:

just seen this on another site: Thai authorities at that time requested that she give up her UK passport in exchange for a Thai passport. Later an exception was made for the former child prodigy, and she received a Thai passport while retaining her British one.

so it appears she does have dual citizenship as an "exception" was made - as I said "good luck to her" in my earlier post

Edited by binjalin

In her bid to qualify Miss Mae...

(The 5ft 3in 35-year-old) even raced in a national junior championships, in which she was more than 14 years older than any other entrant, as time ran out.

Quite sporting.rolleyes.gif

Seriously, at age 35 I hope she realizes the dangers she faces in an Olympic GS race. She will, one assumes, be running last in the first run, when the course is the most dangerous.

I understand that she decided on the career change when she heard that Little Miss JAG had started learning the violin when she entered Prathom 2!

Mind you, having listened to innumerable practice sessions I am considering a career change, do they need a successor to Red Adair?

Actually, the child is a prodigy, and good luck toVanessa Mae as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand the nit-picking about her nationality and the Thai political undertones on this thread.

Her biological father is Thai and mother is Chinese. She's obviously a talented skier and been competing for years.

Bloody good luck to her.

Does she look European/British to you?

IMHO, she look Thai to me.

Just ask anyone on the street (who does not know her) if she is more Thai or Farang.

You get what I mean.

She has no western blood at all from memory, her mother is Singaporean Chinese and her father is Thai. Her step father is English. She has had a Thai passport for a while, and as a Thai offspring is entitled to citizenship as would any foreign born Thai with a Thai parent. I do not know how a Thai is 'suppose to look' but she would pass for Thai to me (based on looks alone).

She managed to finish both runs, admittedly not close to competitive, but she never expected to be, her build and experience is not even close to enough to be competitive - res assured it is very hard to race on a WC/Olympic level prepped GS course (speaking as a former racer) - it's a far cry from running around skiing over a mountain so I think she did as well as could realistically be expected.

To finish was her objective, she achieved it! Hopefully she will race Asian Winter Games in 2017 Hokkaido.

Edited by steveromagnino
  • Like 2

I notice she wouldn't compete for Thailand until they gave her a "special" passport and allowed her to keep her British one.

You are supposed to compete for your country with honour, this is just some rich bird having a bit of fun, no respect for her at all.

Same as the other rich twerps that are competing for Dominica.

In fact, why don't they go the whole hog and call it "Olympics with the Stars", or "I'm a Celebrity, get me a medal"?

Edited by Chicog

She has no western blood at all from memory, her mother is Singaporean Chinese and her father is Thai. Her step father is English. She has had a Thai passport for a while, and as a Thai offspring is entitled to citizenship as would any foreign born Thai with a Thai parent. I do not know how a Thai is 'suppose to look' but she would pass for Thai to me (based on looks alone).

She managed to finish both runs, admittedly not close to competitive, but she never expected to be, her build and experience is not even close to enough to be competitive - res assured it is very hard to race on a WC/Olympic level prepped GS course (speaking as a former racer) - it's a far cry from running around skiing over a mountain so I think she did as well as could realistically be expected.

To finish was her objective, she achieved it! Hopefully she will race Asian Winter Games in 2017 Hokkaido.

If nothing else, she gave Thailand a two athlete participation in these Winter Games, as opposed to one.

Not that any of the locals here seem to be paying the least bit of attention to Sochi.

Eddy the Eagle comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why? The work he put in on on his own dime merited his place, and at least he represented his own country, not some passport he had to go and apply for, and turn down at first because he wanted to keep the first one.

• Like 1

Why? The work he put in on on his own dime merited his place, and at least he represented his own country, not some passport he had to go and apply for, and turn down at first because he wanted to keep the first one.

Eddie may have come over as a crazy Brit but what he did was in the spirit of the Olympics and leaping off that ski jump takes some guts. I love skiing and often stretch myself beyond my abilities but you'd never get me going down one of those things! w00t.gif

Eddie may have come over as a crazy Brit but what he did was in the spirit of the Olympics and leaping off that ski jump takes some guts. I love skiing and often stretch myself beyond my abilities but you'd never get me going down one of those things! w00t.gif

I wish to declare unreservedly at this time that I have nothing but the greatest respect for BOTH these individuals.

I was in considerable awe of Mr. Eagle and never once doubted the man's courage nor did I attribute it to some psychological imbalance.

Ms Mae, I hold in slightly different regard although my respect for her may be even more heartfelt.

I would NEVER impugn the motives of such a charismatic, appealing and (I know she'd agree) attention-worthy woman.

I only wish Ms Mae'd done the run, full-bush Monty, as it were.

If that makes me a perv, so be it ;-)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

• Like 1