Wifi to wifi help, please?

SailingHome

Condo building has good wifi, but it requires a login and password. When a 2nd device connects with that set of credentials, the first ip is dropped and only the last device to log in gets access.

My idea is to have my own router. There is no cat11 cable so does anyone know of a decent, non-virus-making, non-spyware router that connects via wifi to the 'net and then lets my devices connect to it?

Cheers

Use your telephone, open the tether and then anything connects to the phone, job done !

So in simple terms, phone or tablet connects to the net, everything else connects to phone/tab.

Edited by CharlieH

I suggest you have a look here

Perfect signal, don't need a boost. Maybe I am missing your point?

While a 'standard' WiFi Repeater won't work for what you want, as it would only extend the range of the original WiFi unit you're wanting more IP connections out of -- you will need a WiFi unit that can, like a WiFi repeater, receive the WiFi signal and make it available again on another channel in your condo unit but have an additional NAT/Router so that the single IP address your given can be shared to multiple IP addresses on your 'private' WiFi.

Not sure if there's anything available as a consumer unit but some consumer units are capable of having their Operating Systems overwritten with custom firmware such as DD-WRT or similar projects.

List_of_wireless_router_firmware_projects

Be aware that you may run into multiple issues if your computer software requires UPNP support as you'll probably end up tunneling through a double NAT.

Any one else?

• Like 1

Rich, that is correct. So, what about one box that connects to condo wifi via the Web page login, and a short cat to another box that is a standard wireless router? What would be that first box? Yeah... I could do this with a dual nic PC, but I don't want to boot up all the time. Just want to turn on the power and not buy a pc.

Clearly they only want you to have one connection. If you want another, you have to ask for another Username and Password.

Not sure how you get to clearly, but, nah, management is fine with it. They simply have an antiquated management system that only allows one login (the room number) with one password. Told me good idea to set it up. They would run a cable for me but nothing close by to keep it hidden.

The theory alone is worth discussing amungst tech-heads.

If they had mac address filtering enabled, could that be causing a problem? If you're only allowed 1 log in per room, might be that the mac address of your laptop/phone was registered when you logged in with whatever device you have. Only a guess though.

This device in "Hotspot mode" will do what you want: http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/all-in-one-wireless-n-pocket-router-wl-330nul-p015652/

Crossy's suggestion of using Connectify-me software works well too. But it means you need a computer running all the time to share the connection.

Also I believe that as Richcor suggests, DD-WRT has some builds that support wifi account sharing. I haven't tried that though.

I have this issue in various hotels that I stay in. They want you to pay again for each device that you connect. I carry a similar (older model) of the ASUS and it does work ok. However recently I've noticed that some hotels in China now have captchas on the sign-in page so even these may not work everywhere.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a kind of fixed solution, TP link WR843ND or 743ND will do what you need in WISP mode and is available for about 1360 baht in Fortune. Some Totolink and Tenda routers/repeaters with wisp can also do what you need with the login.

Portable solutions could be Asus 330nul as already suggested.

A couple of options... a MiFi box that accepts USB dongles (as some devices have multiple port input for the actual Internet connection; ie 3G dongles) to connect and route.

Or, a Raspberry Pi with a slim Linux OS and a couple of WiFi dongles and some scripts to auto-login and set a NAT/Route the connection when powered on.

I'll post back if a google search shows any favorable Pi build projects happening.

In Win 7 you could also share your PC wireless/login connection as follows:

Setup Virtual Wifi on Windows 7

1. Open a command-prompt with administrator privileges.

Click on Start menu, All Programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, select Run as administrator). Type in:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=password

2. Configure the hosted interface:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=password

This example creates an access-point with an SSID of Test,

3. Configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Open up the networking control panel. Select the interface that currently has Internet connection (like your Ethernet or normal wifi), enable Sharing, and then select the special hosted interface.

4. Start it

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Connect your devices to the virtual network ''test''

OK found a couple of forums talking about people setting up their Raspberry Pi and two WiFi dongles. This starts off as a hobby project but once set up should work without further issue.

Raspberry Pi example AP to WiFi Hotspot

Also, in the past I've done what userabcd suggested and manually configured the miniports to turn an external and the internal WiFi adapters into a Hotspot host. The Connectify Hotspot Software already mentioned and packages like it automates this process. This requires your PC be on and connected when you want the other devices connected to the net.

A rundown of Windows 7/8 Hotspot software can be found here.

SailingHome,

If they're using room numbers, is there a way to edit the system to add additional room entries, like room 1313a?

Maybe they just don't understand the system enough. Can change the password, but beyond that, it's all beyond them?

SailingHome,

If they're using room numbers, is there a way to edit the system to add additional room entries, like room 1313a?

Maybe they just don't understand the system enough. Can change the password, but beyond that, it's all beyond them?

TiT. I'll suggest that. Good idea.