UK Visitors Visa Questions

Hi

My wife is going to apply for a UK visitors visa, and I have a couple of questions.

1. We know that we're going to be traveling to the UK in the late spring to early summer, but can't nail down the dates because of work related issues. We're going to be in Bangkok soon and would like to set up the appointment for the biometric data--instead of going back to Bangkok just for the appointment. I assume we'll have to give specific travel dates and book tickets and hotels to complete the visa application, but can we book refundable tickets and then change the dates of the trip once our travel dates firm up? In other words, is the visa valid for an open period (of six months or so) or is it strictly limited to the dates given on the application?

2. Our plan is to visit Britain, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. I've read that there is a new policy where someone with a visa for the UK can enter the Republic of Ireland without an Irish visa. Is this true? We plan to visit the Republic of Ireland last and then fly from an airport in Ireland directly to LHR and then back to Thailand. Would we need a multiple entry UK visa or would the single entry suffice? Would we need a transit visa for when we come back from the Republic of Ireland to LHR?

Thanks very much and I hope the information above is clear enough. I'll be happy to clarify if need be.

smile.png

1. Your wife will need to submit her visa application online and then will need make an appointment to submit a hard copy of her application and her supporting evidence at the Visa Application Centre, it's at that stage her biometric details are captured. She cannot just pitch up at the Application Centre and provide her biometric details.

The UKV&I specifically advise against purchasing airline tickets until a visa is issued, and whilst it's prudent to supply a proposed itinerary it would be unwise, and unnecessary to book non-refundable hotels.

The visa will normally be for a six months and is valid from the date of issue, she must leave the UK before the expiry date of her visa. Whilst you would be expected to provide an itinerary, travel plans can and do change. If so minded your wife could ask for her UK Visa to be post dated for up to 90 days.

2. Yes the Irish Government have recently implemented new rules whereby a person in possession of a UK Visa can enter the Republic of Ireland without applying for a separate visa. There is a thread on this forum.

As your wife will probably be in possession of a multi entry visa for the UK, any possible problems surrounding transit at LHR wouldn't be an issue.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/

• Like 2

^

Out of curiosity, why do people use the commercial site you provided a link for? Can the application be done easily by individuals?

The link I provided is to the Visa Application Centre contracted out by the UKV&I to receive the applications and to return the passports.

Applicants are required to use them and the fee is already costed in to the application fee. Applicants still have to do all the work, they are little more than a letter box.

You also need to be aware that the application fee needs to be paid online, in US$.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, why do people use the commercial site you provided a link for? Can the application be done easily by individuals?

VFS are contracted to handle the initial application. They don't take part in the decision making, but receive and submit the paperwork and take the load off the embassy.

Edit, Oh, he's still online..

Edited by tw25rw
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has an appointment next week with VFS, and I'd be most appreciative of any feedback regarding whether or not we have all the paperwork in order.

This is what we have compiled so far:

• Completed Application
  • Proposed Itinerary
  • Work contract and pay stubs with copies (in English)
  • Passport (current and previous) with copies of all pages with visas and exit/entry stamps
  • Marriage Certificate (Thai and English translation) with copies
  • Name change form (Thai and English translation) with copies
  • 2013 Tax form and receipt
  • Bank books with copies
  • My work permit with copies
  • My passport with copies of title page and my Non-O

Is there anything missing from the list above?

A few other questions:

1. The tax form is not translated to English. Will that be a problem?

2. My understanding is that VFS will give her back all of the originals on the day of her appointment except for her current passport because in theory they'll need to put in the visa. Is that correct?

3. She plans to have photos made at the shop in Regent House to avoid any problems with the size. She's aware it will be slightly more expensive, but doesn't want any headaches. My concern is that it might be quite busy in the shop and have a long turn-around time. Has this been a problem for anyone in the recent past?

Thanks again for helping out and sharing your knowledge and experience. I really do appreciate it.

smile.png

I assume you are acting as the sponsor, so include a short covering letter outlining your relationship, yes I know you're married, brief details of the trip, and details of your life in Thailand.

Don' re write War an Peace, just sum it all up briefly, it will make it easier for the ECO.

Provide details of where you are staying, if you're staying with friends, include a note inviting you.

If you have photos of you together, stick a few in, not albums full, I normally stick one of us together every time we travel overseas.

Don't submit your passport, they won't take it anyway, just a copy of the bio page and pages containing evidence of your stay in Thailand. If you have travelled overseas together include copies of the relevant stamps, crossed referenced with your wife's.

All you are doing is helping the ECO to make the right reference as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

I don't see evidence of a reason to return.

Just to state the obvious make sure the bank books show sufficient funds to cover the costs of the itinerary - and state the obvious in the covering 'sponsor's letter' (there is a good sample letter floating about on one of the threads).

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

I assume you are acting as the sponsor, so include a short covering letter outlining your relationship, yes I know you're married, brief details of the trip, and details of your life in Thailand.

I'm not a UK citizen, but I suppose I am still the sponsor as it's primarily my income which will be funding the trip. Thanks for suggesting I write this letter.

There is another issue I just thought of. We haven't included any documents about our brief visit into the Republic of Ireland on this trip. As mentioned earlier in the thread, she'll be able to enter Ireland without a visa since she has the UK visa. What kind of details will the UK visa office require about her week in the Republic of Ireland?

By the way, something that should help in our favor is that we lived in Korea for a year, she has a current 10 year visa for the US and has received 2 visitors visas for the Republic of Ireland in the past. At least we're hoping this will help.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

I'm not a UK citizen, but I suppose I am still the sponsor as it's primarily my income which will be funding the trip. Thanks for suggesting I write this letter.

There is another issue I just thought of. We haven't included any documents about our brief visit into the Republic of Ireland on this trip. As mentioned earlier in the thread, she'll be able to enter Ireland without a visa since she has the UK visa. What kind of details will the UK visa office require about her week in the Republic of Ireland?

By the way, something that should help in our favor is that we lived in Korea for a year, she has a current 10 year visa for the US and has received 2 visitors visas for the Republic of Ireland in the past. At least we're hoping this will help.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

They won't be interested in your plans for Ireland as that is outside their remit.

(Are you an Irish citizen?)

Frankly I think you are worrying about nothing.

Your previous travel history means you're just facing a rubber stamp job.

good luck and bon voyage.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

Google seems to indicate that ECO is "Entry Clearance Officer". Is that correct?

To whom should I address the sponsorship letter? The ECO or simply, "To Whom It May Concern:"?

Would it be best to print the letter on my company's stationery, or would that be excessive?

Thanks again for the replies.

smile.png

Yes, an Entry Clearance Officer, the person who considers whether to grant Entry Clearance.

I don't see what you would hope to gain from writing a covering letter on your company stationery, unless you were sponsoring in the name of the company. I would personally use normal notepaper.

To whom it may concern would be fine, but so would Dear ECO, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...