Mobile Phone Lost Or Stolen

astral

Even if you have your phone with you there are things you can do to protect it.

1. Keep the receipt of purchase safe. This will have the phone id number recorded.

2. Set the Security code.

You will find this in the Security Settings section of you phone menu.

Find the page. Change the number, it is a 5 digit number. The default is 12345 usually. Keep a record of the number.

You will need to key in this number if you ever put a new SIM card in the phone.

It also stops the thief from changing the SIM card.

When you phone is stolen

1. Go to the police station and report it. A bored policeman will write out a report, and give you a copy. It costs 7 baht.

2. Go to the phone company, I went to DTAC because the phone has one of their SIM cards.

Show them the police report and the receipt of ownership.

They can then Block the phone for you, which stops it being used on any network in Thailand.

None of this will get your phone back, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that it is of no use the thief either.

PS If you are with DTAC you can also get the SIM card re-issued, with the same number and your balance in tact. It costs 200 baht + VAT (214 baht) but can save you a lot of hassle.

I have no experience with mobile phones (old school - consider them an intrusion rather than a necessity - not too happy about land lines either) :o But really don't think these actions are going to deter the folks at MBK or other such places more than a few seconds.

I have no experience with mobile phones (old school - consider them an intrusion rather than a necessity - not too happy about land lines either) :o But really don't think these actions are going to deter the folks at MBK or other such places more than a few seconds.

You shot yourself down with the first sentence.

However it will stop the casual thief, as he will not be able to sell or pawn the phone.

It doesn't work, so he may abandon it and you will get it back.

My son's phone went missing at work, and I have told him to pass the word that it is useless now!!

I'll let you know if we ever see it again, but at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that no-one else is going to benefit from the theft.

You shot yourself down with the first sentence.

I didn't say I don't know about electronics. They can easily sell the phone and the folks in the corner will have it up and running in no time.

First defense is the 5 digit code. Anyone could break that! As for DTAC or anyone else blocking the phone dream on. These guys have been fixing that problem for years - guys used to bring locked phones from home because cheap and have them "fixed" here.

Well Lop, the serial number of the phone is non-negotiable. "If" DTAC lists it as stolen or inoperable, then it is inoperable on the network. Of course, they could sell the phone in another country on a different network where it's not listed and then, yes, you could have the phone fixed and the 5-digit code deactivated. But as long as that phone's serial number is listed as such in Thailand, then it is inoperable on the Thai cell system.

And the advice really wasn't put out there for you to refute it. It's out there so that people can have a little peace of mind; to feel that they have experienced something close to vindication, instead feeling ripped-off, violated, taken advantage of, abused, etc. Consider it a placebo, if you must. So why don't you just let us live out our lie and you live yours and we can all live happily ever after.

Thanks for all the fish.

DK, your being a bit harsh on lopburi, this is a forum, and if someone writes something that is incorrect, then other people come along and say so.

the serial number of the phone is non-negotiable

No, any of the kids selling phones in MBK, can get the security code and IMEI of any phone changed within 10 minutes.

J

No, any of the kids selling phones in MBK, can get the security code and IMEI of any phone changed within 10 minutes.

Are you sure about this?

Some makes of phones it is true.

However I brought in a Nokia from Singapore a few years ago, when the Thai networks where blocking on the IMEI and was told that it could not be changed.

Anyway DTAC did block the missing phone for me.

We later recovered it, and after a little difficulty, on the part os DTAC, they opened the lock again. All for FREE, unusual here in Thailand.

Thanks DTAC