Thai students cry foul after 'forced to back Feb 2 poll'

webfact

POLITICS
Students cry foul after 'forced to back Feb 2 poll'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More than 300 students from the Ayutthaya Withayalai school in Ayutthaya gathered yesterday to oust the school's director after he allegedly ordered them to stage a street rally in support of the February 2 election.

The students protested in front of the director's room and whistled to support a move to expel him from his office. They said they were upset at being instructed to march through the streets to the old provincial hall in support of the election.

The students said the school rally on Friday would lead the public to believe their school belonged to the red-shirt movement. They said they gathered to demonstrate that they, their parents and some teachers were not red shirts and had been forced to rally against their will.

The students dispersed thirty minutes after police arrived. The school management explained that they instructed the students to stage the rally at the order of their superiors.

A parent of a high school student said he was upset the school used students as a political tool, ordering them to demonstrate and carry placards to campaign for the election.

Chalermsak Tharathanya, the school director, refused to talk to the media on the controversy.

Meanwhile in Surat Thani, a war of words and a scuffle erupted at the provincial hall after an official resisted a call by the People's Democratic Reform Committee for a work stoppage as a gesture of civil disobedience.

Customs Office legal officer Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya's opposition to the campaign had been met with loud whistles blown by the protesters. He spat on the protesters when he was asked to apologise. PDRC leaders intervened and order was restored.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-21

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...school's director ... ordered them to stage a street rally in support of the February 2 election."

That's democracy eh? And how a/b making children carry RED flags when marching in "Scout" uniforms. And how a/b flying RED flags in schools in Isaan. I bet the RED Chinese love this ... soon - perhaps Thailand will be annexed by the Big Red One.

• Like 2

"...school's director ... ordered them to stage a street rally in support of the February 2 election."

That's democracy eh? And how a/b making children carry RED flags when marching in "Scout" uniforms. And how a/b flying RED flags in schools in Isaan. I bet the RED Chinese love this ... soon - perhaps Thailand will be annexed by the Big Red One.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Wow. Seriously. Wow.

• Like 1

The school management explained that they instructed the students to stage the rally at the order of their superiors.

The Nuremberg defence?

Superior orders, often known as the Nuremberg defense, lawful orders or by the German phrase "Befehl ist Befehl" ("Orders are Orders"), is a plea in a court of law that a soldier not be held guilty for actions which were ordered by a superior officer.[1] The superior orders plea is similar to the doctrine of respondeat superior in tort law where a superior is held liable for the actions of a subordinate.[2] Some legal scholars and war crimes tribunals will correlate the plea to the doctrine of respondeat superior; whereas others will distinguish the two concepts.

The superior orders plea is often regarded as the complement to command responsibility.[3]

One of the most noted uses of this plea, or "defense," was by the accused in the 194546 Nuremberg Trials, such that it is also called the "Nuremberg defense". The Nuremberg Trials were a series of military tribunals, held by the main victorious Allied forces of World War II, most notable for the prosecution of prominent members of the political, military, and economic leadership of the defeated Nazi Germany. It was during these trials, under the London Charter of the International Military Tribunal which set them up, that the defense of superior orders was no longer considered enough to escape punishment; but merely enough to lessen punishment.[4]

Historically, the plea of superior orders has been used both before and after the Nuremberg Trials, with a notable lack of consistency in various rulings.

Apart from the specific plea of Superior Orders, discussions about how the general concept of superior orders ought to be used, or ought not to be used, have taken place in various arguments, rulings and Statutes that have not necessarily been part of after the fact war crimes trials, strictly speaking. Nevertheless these discussions and related events help us understand the evolution of the specific plea of superior orders and the history of its usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

These are the same tactics used by the Nazi Party to indoctrinate the people and brainwash them into supporting the fascist ideals of the movement.

While certain people on a certain side of the political fence wallow in pointing out dwindling numbers at the protests while not actually understanding why.... we have their own side forcing young children tho parade around the streets of the capital in support of a regime and corrupt election system against their will.

But again it backfires and have shown that even children of 12 years of age and up are not so stupid. The people's minds are slowly becoming free. This is a valuable improvement for the future.

• Like 1

Haha.. The minions are turning.

They wanted democracy, now it seems that they have it.............smile.png

I do agree that kids/students should not be used for any parties political gain, really stupid idea by the school's administration IMHO.

• Like 1

Here in Surat the Yellow & Suthep Mob forced all schools to be closed from today. Even in the country side. I see it with my own eyes cause live near a primary school.

Did you hear with your own ears that they were forced?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here in Surat the Yellow & Suthep Mob forced all schools to be closed from today. Even in the country side. I see it with my own eyes cause live near a primary school.

Forcing a school to close is different than forcing the students to protest.

• Like 1

Students should not be allowed to protest for the government or the anti-government. I agree some action need to be taken against the administration here. I also see a brave man in the south stand up to those thugs. Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya did the right thing in standing up against these thugs who try to intimidate people with bodily harm if they don't do what the thugs want.

Absolutely correct...

Students are not political pawns, The person responsible for this order should be made accountable, equally the person responsible for closing schools in the south to close so teachers still being paid with taxes so they can go and protest must be held accountable

If the Dem's support is so strong and Suthep's support ("the people") is also strong then why not go too the elections and take government legally?

But I wonder why the protestor's are covering cctv cameras with plastic bags?, what do they want to hide???

All those years ago when my daughter was studying i can assure everyone that as a parent i would have freaked out had she been ordered to do anything like this.

Unfortunately Thailand is chock full people who think they are a ' somebody ', that they can do and say whatever they want and that their orders must be obeyed without question.

Now, Question of The Day, what chance the school director will lose his job ? Please forgive me it;s still early morning and I'm not in my body yet.

He was just following orders! He might have been scared that he would lose his job if he didn't do as he was told. Understandable if not ethical. Happens all the time, the world over.

Don't worry about BKKbrit, probably owns an old lambretta that needs picking up ? ;)

Meanwhile, I have carefully and steadily taught my 4.5 year old to say "you are full of <deleted>" sans the e to anyone telling him he should do this or that because they said so, without giving a good reason.

• Like 2

Students should not be allowed to protest for the government or the anti-government. I agree some action need to be taken against the administration here. I also see a brave man in the south stand up to those thugs. Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya did the right thing in standing up against these thugs who try to intimidate people with bodily harm if they don't do what the thugs want.

I'm quite surprised you managed to type the name of "Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya " the man who spits at people

I'd have thought you would have worn the H, G, S, U and T keys out on your keyboard

• Like 2

All those years ago when my daughter was studying i can assure everyone that as a parent i would have freaked out had she been ordered to do anything like this.

Unfortunately Thailand is chock full people who think they are a ' somebody ', that they can do and say whatever they want and that their orders must be obeyed without question.

Now, Question of The Day, what chance the school director will lose his job ? Please forgive me it;s still early morning and I'm not in my body yet.

He was just following orders! He might have been scared that he would lose his job if he didn't do as he was told. Understandable if not ethical. Happens all the time, the world over.

I have to point out that social/personal ethics are part of the requirements for a well rounded education of the young, impressionable students. If the headmaster is not displaying ethical behavior, how could his actions be even considered understandable? Much less attempt to justify it.

• Like 1

from the article it's certainly not clear who gave the orders. The school management is quoted as saying ' obeying orders ' but who constitutes the school management isn't explained and the director refused to speak to the media so did he too obey orders or did he issue them ?

With the Thai reluctance to accept responsibility this was tailor made for him to suggest the instructions came from much higher up and so far why only one school ?