Deans call for a provisional govt to be set up

webfact

POLITICS
Deans call for a provisional govt to be set up

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deans from eight medical schools have called for the caretaker government to step down and pave way for the establishment of a "provisional government".

The move was recommended as a way to try to end the current political conflict and violence. "We believe the February 2 election will cause conflicts, serious rifts, losses, and long-term problems. Therefore, we believe the election should be rescheduled," the eight deans announced via a joint statement yesterday.

In the statement, they called for a provisional government that wins acceptance from all sides, as it would be expected to solve problems, control the situation, and facilitate preparations for an election.

The top chiefs of the eight medical schools also urged all sides to engage in talks in a bid to achieve reconciliation.

They added that provocation, or the distribution of distorted information, and all forms of violence must end.

The statement was signed by Dr Udom Kachintorn, dean of the Mahidol University (MU) faculty of medicine, Siriraj Hospital; Dr Sophon Napathorn, dean of the Chulalongkorn University's faculty of medicine; Dr Winit Phuapradit, dean of the MU faculty of medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital; Dr Sutham Pinjaroen, dean of the Prince of Songkla University's faculty of medicine; Dr Preecha Wanichsetakul, dean of Thammasat University's faculty of medicine; Dr Supasit Pannarunothai, dean of Naresuan University's faculty of medicine; Dr Pisit Piriyapun, dean of Burapha University's faculty of medicine; and Dr Surawich Tatetuwanan, dean of Rangsit University's College of Medicine.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-21

The deans need to have their heads examined.

All the intelligent professions are against this government.

However I see one redshirt headmaster in Ayutthaya has forced all his pupils to march on a pro-government rally. That's a bit sick don't you think?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please let's not go down the thai and educated route.

These blokes mainly went through the thai education system 30+ years ago. When you think of that I can't believe I ever thought to have surgery done in thailand.

However I see one redshirt headmaster in Ayutthaya has forced all his pupils to march on a pro-government rally. That's a bit sick don't you think?

That's part of the Thai establishment pecking order system. They buy their seats and grades or return favors for seats and grades.

All these recommendations are vague. Why not make an offer to use the last election as a yardstick, and appoint a provisional government based on population statistics? For example, if the Purple Party won 5% of the vote, give them 5% representation, etc. Seats in the current government are not proportional to the votes they won. This is at the heart of the conflict and rarely discussed here on TV, except by a Thai poster who was summarily told to shut up by a ferang.

Sounds simple and very hard to do, I realize, but an appointed government that is lopsided won't solve anything. The dysfunctional elections won't solve anything, with too few members to form a quorum.

Maybe a compromise would find that middle ground both sides seem to be avoiding like the plague. It also occurs to me that had the academics made a concrete recommendation, it could never be enacted because the idea has to come from PTP or PDRC, so they do not lose face...

I don't know.

facepalm.gif

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

One of the aspects of this whole sorry mess that annoys me most is that these ridiculous people who call themselves academics allow themselves to be stooges for the Ruling Elite. The government would happily agree to the postponement of the election if the opposition would agree to a) not disrupt the rescheduled date and cool.png ideally participate in it. What these pseudo academics really mean is cancel the election permanently and establish Suthep's peoples council with a couple of farmers on it to appease the masses. Academia in this country is intellectually bankrupt - hardly surprising as many of them bribed their way into university in the first place.

With your outlook on Thai doctors I presume you won't be seeking treatment in a Thai hospital if required.

Sad really, there are some excellent doctors at Sirirat, Chula and Ramatibodi hospitals.

So what ? huh.png Are you insinuating that unless someone has a minimum IQ they don't get the right to vote?ohmy.png

That's a new one ermm.gif

The appointed government of Khun Anand set up after Black May was one of the best administrations Thailand has ever had.

I am reliably informed that Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Right historical time frame, wrong dictator. That fact was actually attributed to Hitler. whistling.gif

• Like 1

What do the deans think the difference is between a "provisional government that wins acceptance from all sides" and an election? Their comments are preposterous and this is thought leadership teaching Thai future.

Actually it isn't preposterous. You have clearly misunderstood.

The difference is that they are appointed by mutual agreement from each constituency, rather than elected by a majority. That is a clear difference.

It is actually a way of appointing an emergency government that is as close as possible to what everyone is happy with on a temporary basis to fill the political void.

There would be arguments, but it would end up a mixture of who red shirts want from the north to act of their behalf and what people from the south want to represent their interests, instead of a steamroller government forced into power by one set of idealists.

This is not an uncommon form of government in these circumstances.

yes the deans, the medical doctors, the urban middle class, basically everyone who is educated .....Pol Pot found a solution for these notorious troublemakers.....

• Like 1

What do the deans think the difference is between a "provisional government that wins acceptance from all sides" and an election? Their comments are preposterous and this is thought leadership teaching Thai future.

The difference is that they are appointed by mutual agreement from each constituency, rather than elected by a majority. That is a clear difference.

It is actually a way of appointing an emergency government that is as close as possible to what everyone is happy with on a temporary basis to fill the political void.

There would be arguments, but it would end up a mixture of who red shirts want from the north to act of their behalf and what people from the south want to represent their interests, instead of a steamroller government forced into power by one set of idealists.

Can you give an example of a country that has adopted this system?

Can you give an example of a country that has adopted this system?

Thailand

The appointed government of Khun Anand set up after Black May was one of the best administrations Thailand has ever had.

With respect to Khun Anand, my neighbor would look good as PM if he also were to be appointed by the King after the military government self-installed in the 1991 coup had just slaughtered several dozen Thai students that were among the 200,000 Thais in the streets to successfully bring down the generals.

And anyone who presently thinks a coup now would not be resisted by hundreds of thousands in the streets would still be living in 1960s Thailand. That's why the Army and military know that a coup to the present madness is not viable and won't do it.

Nor have I heard Dr Anand endorsing the madman street tramp Suthep or Suthep's appointed PM and appointed but still anonymous fascist council, which continues to have its secret agenda.

Maybe somebody here knows its secrets?

• Like 2

yes the deans, the medical doctors, the urban middle class, basically everyone who is educated .....Pol Pot found a solution for these notorious troublemakers.....

So you are an advocate of the Thai "philosophy" of education?

Are the peasants revolting?

Enquiring minds want to know.