Tracked her down: Appropriate compensation for wasted time due to scratch?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If is is simply a scratch then owning a BMW in itself would suggest you can afford to have it repaired yourself. Asking someone else to pay to have it repaired is an admission of insufficient funds to do it yourself. aka Lose of face.

She is probably amazed that you even have to ask.

Not saying this is right but...

PATHETIC reply. Only on this forum would a thai apologist post a pathetic reply. Sir please read your reply, and did you mean what you said ?

Not pathetic at all, if you and OP expect western settlements laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png well then just forget it.

Just make sure you have No.1 insurance within Thailand if silly little scratch is going to wind you up that much otherwise it will be you that sounds pathetic. coffee1.gif

No it is pathetic. What if you scrathed a car . Would you tell the thai owner to make an insurance claim. No you would not. You would bow, wai, suck, lick and slobber, and then say I am very sorry, how much can I pay you

If you can afford BMW....just her go. She is probably one of those first time car owner who can barely make her monthly car payment...be nice and let 1st class I insurance take care of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you can afford BMW....just her go. She is probably one of those first time car owner who can barely make her monthly car payment...be nice and let 1st class I insurance take care of it.

Good point, I acutally wonder how many of those first car buyers renewed their first free year of 1st class as they might be on a tight budget already anyway.

And what is when they crash their cars without insurance, they´ll continue to pay for a pile of scrap metal......

Good point, I acutally wonder how many of those first car buyers renewed their first free year of 1st class as they might be on a tight budget already anyway.

And what is when they crash their cars without insurance, they´ll continue to pay for a pile of scrap metal......

If they're tight on money I presume the car is financed. And if on finance they can not get away with not having first class insurance, the finance company will not accept that, too big of a risk to them.

If is is simply a scratch then owning a BMW in itself would suggest you can afford to have it repaired yourself. Asking someone else to pay to have it repaired is an admission of insufficient funds to do it yourself. aka Lose of face.

PATHETIC reply. Only on this forum would a thai apologist post a pathetic reply. Sir please read your reply, and did you mean what you said ?

Not pathetic at all, if you and OP expect western settlements laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png well then just forget it.

Just make sure you have No.1 insurance within Thailand if silly little scratch is going to wind you up that much otherwise it will be you that sounds pathetic. coffee1.gif

No it is pathetic. What if you scrathed a car . Would you tell the thai owner to make an insurance claim. No you would not. You would bow, wai, suck, lick and slobber, and then say I am very sorry, how much can I pay you

You don't know me, I would let them make a claim that's what insurance is for, none of the latter comment.coffee1.gif

Nar, don't tell them to forget it - tell them to go for it, and keep us all updated on how that works out :)

I'm trying to imagine the type of lawyer that would take the case though.... definitely not a pro-bono job :P

If they're tight on money I presume the car is financed. And if on finance they can not get away with not having first class insurance, the finance company will not accept that, too big of a risk to them.

So will and can the finance company monitor if you have a 1st class insurance during the finance time? Would be Interesting to know, in Germany it´s possible (afaik) to have a financed vehicle with only the basic coverage. Serious question, I´ve no idea how this works in Thailand smile.png Will Toyota call and say: Hey your first free year is over you need to renew it?

Edited by I knew this would happen

So will and can the finance company monitor if you have a 1st class insurance during the finance time? Would be Interesting to know, in Germany it´s possible (afaik) to have a financed vehicle with only the basic coverage. Serious question, I´ve no idea how this works in Thailand smile.png Will Toyota call and say: Hey your first free year is over you need to renew it?

Yes, they can and do. If you don't renew with their in-house broker they require you to submit insurance papers indicating sufficient coverage.

• Like 2

OP has already indicated that the compensation amount is on top of the repairs...

Submitting the evidence to the insurers will surely take up much more of OP's precious time.

Not saying hit and run (or in this case scratch and run) is right but in any case if any of the insurers are active in this forum, then simply expect farang owned vehicle premiums to escalate.

Complaints and grievances posted in this forum will only solidify their grounds of increasing the yearly premiums.

To be fair, scratches come in various forms so I would like to believe OP has a larger than normal scratch.

PS worst case scenario, payment is all on OP IF she bolts!

Best regards

keyboard warrior

Edited by holeyman1

Yes, they can and do. If you don't renew with their in-house broker they require you to submit insurance papers indicating sufficient coverage.

So that is different here, but of course it makes a lot of sense that you are forced to have one.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Lots of good advice, some crazy ones, too, but all appreciated :-)

I do have 1st class insurance, and it would cover the damage, but when it's time to renew the insurance, the premium will go up 5-10K baht. Thinking 1st class insurance means free repairs is a bit shortsighted, if you ask me. So, I'd prefer not to involve my insurance and just get the woman to pay the bill, since I know whodunnit.

I'll end up wasting several hours of my time, but I'd be OK with that if she had just come clean and taken responsibility. Dodging responsibility just pisses me off, and it was very lucky that the CCTV camera happened to cover enough of the incident to identify who did it, otherwise I'd be down thousands of baht through no fault of my own, which would be unfair. She drives a car with plenty of scratches on the bumpers, so no doubt I'm not the only one who's been hit. Maybe this will make her drive more carefully, maybe not, but one can hope.

She's agreed to pay 2000 baht compensation, but I won't count that money until it's in my pocket :-)

ask to be paid in "nature" ?

maybe you will never let her go?

• Like 1

How much does first class insurance for your BMW cost? For my wife's 2007 Honda City it is 12,500 baht with coverage for two drivers only. Current insurer is Union Prospers. She claims every single scratch no matter who's fault it was and when it comes time to renew, gets three quotes from big name insurers and goes with the cheapest.

Edited by skraach

How much does first class insurance for your BMW cost? For my wife's 2007 Honda City it is 12,500 baht with coverage for two drivers only. Current insurer is Union Prospers. She claims every single scratch no matter who's fault it was and when it comes time to renew, gets three quotes from big name insurers and goes with the cheapest.

Does she have to make a police report for all those scratches to be able to claim if nobody else involved...?

Does she have to make a police report for all those scratches to be able to claim if nobody else involved...?

No, does not have to make police reports. Gets it done just before renewal. The insurance staff call it "mai mee phae" (ไม่มีแผล) i.e. restore to "no wounds" condition.

• Like 1

Do't waste your time and money , you are not likely to get any compensation from the woman .

It is less trouble simply to go to a repair shop , have the scratches mended and pay for it yourself .

I do have comprehensive motor insurance that would take care of more serious damage , expensive to repair .

• Like 1

Sadly owning any car worth having in Asia is rife with problems especially if you expect it to be pristine 100% of the time.

Nonsense! if he had scratched her car,she would have had 10 witnesses lined up!

But thats Thainess

if you notify the insurance even it not being any fault of yours , a red flag goes on your account higher premiums next year. are there assigned parking in this complex or random parking ? is she a frequent visitor or live there? the trick to having expensive cars is to have a everyday car especially in Thailand and most definitely in Bangkok , everyday driving , using the other car. THERE IS NOT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in Thailand , she did everything she could to get out of it and would have said that was not her in the video if she could---compensation in the real world with real lawyers is your hourly rate at your job, whatever that may be by the hours of loss time.

Edited by bitcoinbob

if you notify the insurance even it not being any fault of yours , a red flag goes on your account higher premiums next year. are there assigned parking in this complex or random parking ? is she a frequent visitor or live there? the trick to having expensive cars is to have a everyday car especially in Thailand and most definitely in Bangkok , everyday driving , using the other car. THERE IS NOT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in Thailand , she did everything she could to get out of it and would have said that was not her in the video if she could---compensation in the real world with real lawyers is your hourly rate at your job, whatever that may be by the hours of loss time.

555.. do you really think that we buy a 4 millions car to use it sometimes only and go to supermarket in a Toyoshite ?

Crazy !