Tracked her down: Appropriate compensation for wasted time due to scratch?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st class insurance is always handy.biggrin.png

But a 1st class insurcance doesn´t take away all the costs YOU will have to pay YOURSELF like the taxi or rental car and all the inconvenience it caused. Thailand is different sad.png

At home my first class insurance would provide me a car while mine is beeing repaired or compensate me with the amount that an equivalent rental car would be worth. When the car is new they even might compensate for the loss of value. It would be no big deal cause I could drive around with another BMW rental car, probably a higher spec. model from the dealer to convince me for the next buy. Here I get nothing, not from the insurance nor from the dealer, except that they repair my car.

Last time my Bimmer got scratched they kept my car for 7 days cause they realised that a spare part was missing when they had began their work. The girl that scratched my car said sorry, that´s all I got from her. Asking for compensation or playing the blame game wouldn´t have been very promising or reasonable and a waste of time.

And when you pay shitloads of money for your dream car and pamper it everyday then something like that is not beeing pedantic but fully understandable....it´s not a freakin Hilux tongue.png

Just leave it, not worth any further time and effort.

Really...if you can afford a BMW with all the attendant taxes, maintenance, and auto insurance you should be satisfied from what you recover from your insurance to cover the "scratch." Maybe ask the woman to split the costs after you get an estimate buit if you want to go full monty on this, you may find more mysterious scratches on the car.

Lots of good advice, some crazy ones, too, but all appreciated :-)

I do have 1st class insurance, and it would cover the damage, but when it's time to renew the insurance, the premium will go up 5-10K baht. Thinking 1st class insurance means free repairs is a bit shortsighted, if you ask me. So, I'd prefer not to involve my insurance and just get the woman to pay the bill, since I know whodunnit.

I'll end up wasting several hours of my time, but I'd be OK with that if she had just come clean and taken responsibility. Dodging responsibility just pisses me off, and it was very lucky that the CCTV camera happened to cover enough of the incident to identify who did it, otherwise I'd be down thousands of baht through no fault of my own, which would be unfair. She drives a car with plenty of scratches on the bumpers, so no doubt I'm not the only one who's been hit. Maybe this will make her drive more carefully, maybe not, but one can hope.

She's agreed to pay 2000 baht compensation, but I won't count that money until it's in my pocket :-)

Why would you premium be higher if you are not responsible ???

"if she had just come clean and taken responsibility."

Unfortunately, T.I.T. "My Fault" seems to be an oxymoron in Thailand as far as the Thai thinking! Unless, of course, if it is a foreigners fault - then its OK for the foreigner to say!

Edited by snooky

Sadly owning any car worth having in Asia is rife with problems especially if you expect it to be pristine 100% of the time.

If is is simply a scratch then owning a BMW in itself would suggest you can afford to have it repaired yourself. Asking someone else to pay to have it repaired is an admission of insufficient funds to do it yourself. aka Lose of face.

She is probably amazed that you even have to ask.

Not saying this is right but...

What a BS are you writing? Only loosers v think the way you do. She scratched his car so she (or her insurance) has to pay for it. Simple as that, even in Thailand. Your lose face story is bull s.

• Like 1

You are lucky you are not being sued for your car damaging hers.

If your car wasnt there, not only would she have not had your car damage hers, but she would have also parked her car

CCTV shows your car interfering with a Thais right....

Be grateful your not in Jail!

-sic-

Edited by thhMan

Sadly owning any car worth having in Asia is rife with problems especially if you expect it to be pristine 100% of the time.

If is is simply a scratch then owning a BMW in itself would suggest you can afford to have it repaired yourself. Asking someone else to pay to have it repaired is an admission of insufficient funds to do it yourself. aka Lose of face.

Nonsense! if he had scratched her car,she would have had 10 witnesses lined up!

But thats Thainess

yes,..and they would "thai to you " !

Well, if you had never come to Thailand in the first place, your car wouldn't have been parked there and she wouldn't have scratched her car trying to park there.

Your fault.

That and the arrogance of driving a BMW and making all those Thais who cannot afford one lose face! :D

• Like 1

What a BS are you writing? Only loosers v think the way you do. She scratched his car so she (or her insurance) has to pay for it. Simple as that, even in Thailand. Your lose face story is bull s.

YUP, I agree, only total loosers / thai apologists