Walks In Mountains

mike wood

Yes, what he said. Indeed treks are funner, they make sure you visit some cool places.

But indeed there's a hiking trail going up Doi Suthep starting at the end of Suthep Road. (Turn right into the soi just before the road goes up to where Galare Restaurant is.) Or you could start at Montrathan Falls..

• 7 months later...
On the same note, are there any hiking clubs or groups in Chiang Mai? E.g. an informal group of residents (Thai/farang) that arranges day hikes in the area?

The CM Expats Club has a group that goes hiking on nearby trails every second Saturday. Nothing very strenuous but a nice day walking in the woods with some interesting people. the info was up on their website, but I'm not sure it's still there.

WOW 600 Bath just to join !!

First entry free. whahahahah so funny .

and there is entry fee everytime . i need to go .

sound like good money .

you can go up The mountian and come down at least 12 time with 600 baht .

maybe that why thai alway think that expat are easy target for rip off.

even the expat are ripping off expat whhahaha .

WOW 600 Bath just to join !!

First entry free. whahahahah so funny .

and there is entry fee everytime . i need to go .

sound like good money .

you can go up The mountian and come down at least 12 time with 600 baht .

maybe that why thai alway think that expat are easy target for rip off.

even the expat are ripping off expat whhahaha .

TA22,

hahaha. reading your posts are very funny.

this thread is about hiking.

the Expat Club organizes hikes to many places.

They are FREE. FREE.

hahahaha.

You keep saying "Go to Doi Pui, Go to Doi Pui."

You go to the same place all the time.

hahaha

The Expat Club hikes go to many places besides Doi Pui.

If you want to join the club you can.

there are many benefits.

some people find them very worthwhile.

others don't.

some people just go on the hikes for FREE. FREE.

hahaha.

No ripoffs.

hahaha

i don't usually hike , kinda lazy . or it .. i usually ride .

- i went to the site and it say 600baht to join . and some related cost when you go to the place ...

whahahahah

i would love to meet up more people . , i just like it up there cos is cooling and nice .

i got my personal fav spot where i go offen . is a chiff . overlooking a village . i usually stay there for hour just relaxing or sometime taking a nap . :o

That fav spot is beyond Doi pui . - :D if anyone is keen i would be more then happen to share this fav spot .. and we

roundup a few people and i can lead everyone there :D

prefer bike that is rental - to be safe .

Hi,

i have a very energetic sister who will visit here next month. Are there any recognised trails in the mountains around Chiang Mai.

MW

If your sister is really energetic, you might want to tell her about the overnight hike up Doi Chiang Dao. There is some information on the following website on how to do it fairly cheap, without using expensive trekking outfits...

http://www.chiangdao.org

It would involve bringing a tent, sleeping bag, a good pair of hiking boots, a flashlight, food and a small stove.

Well worth the hike I must say. Beautiful views up top for both the sunset and the sunrise (two different peaks).

We left at 8:30am and got to the "base camp" around 4pm. It was a strenous hike. After setting up our tents, we hiked up leasurely to the peak, well in time for the sunset.

In the morning, we hiked up to another peak, with flashlights, at 5am, to see the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen.

It is the third highest mountain in Thailand as well and has lots of plant life that only exists up there.

• 9 months later...
On the same note, are there any hiking clubs or groups in Chiang Mai? E.g. an informal group of residents (Thai/farang) that arranges day hikes in the area?

The CM Expats Club has a group that goes hiking on nearby trails every second Saturday. Nothing very strenuous but a nice day walking in the woods with some interesting people. the info was up on their website, but I'm not sure it's still there.

It seems the Expats Club hiking group has closed down since this last post. Are there any other groups that hike around CM regularly?

Take a songthaew from Chiang Mai to Phuping Palace (hope I got the spelling right). Walk from there to the top of Doi Pui. Great walk. Get the songthaew back. Easy, hassle-free and very cheap.

No.. don't do that !!

Doi Pui is all mine, the last thing i expect to see up there is another farang.. stay away you beasts....!!!! it's my mountain...

:o

Take a songthaew from Chiang Mai to Phuping Palace (hope I got the spelling right). Walk from there to the top of Doi Pui. Great walk. Get the songthaew back. Easy, hassle-free and very cheap.

No.. don't do that !!

Doi Pui is all mine, the last thing i expect to see up there is another farang.. stay away you beasts....!!!! it's my mountain...

:D

Ok, will send up the dogs alone .... :o:D:D