GF received 10 year visa to U.S.A. but how long will get to stay?

My gf had a great interview at the Chiang Mai Consulate and received a 10 year US visa. We are very happy and surprised to get such a long visa. But one thing I do not understand is, when she comes for a visit how long will she be stamped for into the country? Just because she has a 10 year visa doesn't mean she can stay for 10 years does it? She will be able to visit as often as she wants within the 10 years? Can anything happen that would invalidate her visa?

Thanks for the info.

This may be of help.....

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/tourist-visa-faq.html

There is a difference between visa stamp duration, and allowed to stay duration. The allowed to stay is determined at port of entry via form I-94 given by immigration. (Afaik).

Generally, if a person stays 5-6 months, they should wait another 6 months before returning, thats just a rough guide as circumstances and reason for stay vary.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

What kind of grilling?

In the visa interview, they didn't ask specific questions about where she is staying/going, etc. Will they do this when she lands in the USA? If she already has a visa, why give her another grilling?

Can I assume you've never experienced the immigration welcome a foreigner gets at JFK in New York or Miami?

What kind of grilling?

In the visa interview, they didn't ask specific questions about where she is staying/going, etc. Will they do this when she lands in the USA? If she already has a visa, why give her another grilling?

Can I assume you've never experienced the immigration welcome a foreigner gets at JFK in New York or Miami?

Sometimes citizens get the same treatment.

Anyways, it wouldn't be a bad idea for your GF to have an itinerary that she can present to the immigration agent, or at least be able to give a verbal itinerary of where you plan to visit and what you plan to do. My friends haven't really had trouble coming over, but they were always short trips (one month) and had a written itinerary to present to the immigration agent. Example : Going to Chicago for a week to see the Sears tower and do some shopping, then down to St Louis to see the Arch, flying to New York to see auntie, then back home to Thailand on XYZ date.

This may be of help.....

There is a difference between visa stamp duration, and allowed to stay duration. The allowed to stay is determined at port of entry via form I-94 given by immigration. (Afaik).

Generally, if a person stays 5-6 months, they should wait another 6 months before returning, thats just a rough guide as circumstances and reason for stay vary.

There's is no more paper I-94. It is all online now. They will however put an "admitted until" stamp in the passport

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/

What kind of grilling?

or Atlanta! dry.png

owning a home is not a valid reason to enter the United States. you pay income tax? we don't care. we are the INS not the IRS

the above happened to my wife two days before Christmas 2003 when returning from Europe. three months later our home (we had homes in the US since 1989) was sold and since then we live in the Land of Smiles. no income tax, no stupid questions at immigration such as "who are you? what are you? and why are you?"

This may be of help.....

There's is no more paper I-94. It is all online now. They will however put an "admitted until" stamp in the passport

So she needs to complete the I-94 form first?! Before coming? Fill it out on the plan?

Sorry for these newbie questions. We are just very worried about screwing her visa up or trip up by accident.

BTW, she will be entering/leaving via Portland, Oregon.

Thanks.

Edited by lukeskywalker

This may be of help.....

So she needs to complete the I-94 form first?! Before coming? Fill it out on the plan?

Sorry for these newbie questions. We are just very worried about screwing her visa up or trip up by accident.

Thanks.

Your airline has the forum on board and will pass it out with the landing card.Due to the fact your not married you both will need to fill out a landing card. Dont worry immigration have extras if you forget. Try and keep her with you in the US Citizen ques you should have no problem with this.

Edited by khwaibah

What kind of grilling?

For all intents and purpose the visa only lets you board the plane and gives guidance on how long you can be let in for. The immigration officer still has ultimate discretion to let you in or not ( this goes for all non us citizens who don't have some sort of PR) so be ready with truthful and honest answers on your itinerary and your finances for the trip. Most importantly they need to b convinced that you are leaving before your entry is up.

• Like 1

This may be of help.....

BTW, she will be entering/leaving via Portland, Oregon.

Thanks.

There is no more I-94 to fill out. However, you'll both need to fill out customs declaration forms.

What kind of grilling?

For all intents and purpose the visa only lets you board the plane and gives guidance on how long you can be let in for. The immigration officer still has ultimate discretion to let you in or not ( this goes for all non us citizens who don't have some sort of PR) so be ready with truthful and honest answers on your itinerary and your finances for the trip. Most importantly they need to b convinced that you are leaving before your entry is up.

This is key. Alot of people make the mistake of thinking that the visa means automatic entry into the U.S. It does not. As Samran pointed out, it's up to the CBP officer to allow entry into the U.S. at the airport. Also, as Samran said the biggest thing they will look for is any indication that she doesn't plan on returning. Just be clear there are no plans to stay in the U.S. permanently, and that she has every intention of returning to Thailand. I've read stories of people having to fly all the way back after being denied entry. It's pretty rare, but it does happen.

Edited by daboyz1
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the great advice.

I am already in Portland and she is coming in alone. She has a return ticket already and has created an itinerary for her stay. Her return ticket date is only 4 weeks after coming so I'm sure she will get at least that for her stay. She plans on returning often to the US so we want to be sure to set a good record/reputation of her returning back to Thailand.

I find it quite odd that a person entering the US can't know how long they can stay UNTIL they land. How are people supposed to plan and schedule airline tickets? It can very expensive to change a ticket.

I am already in Portland and she is coming in alone. She has a return ticket already and has created an itinerary for her stay. Her return ticket date is only 4 weeks after coming so I'm sure she will get at least that for her stay. She plans on returning often to the US so we want to be sure to set a good record/reputation of her returning back to Thailand.

I find it quite odd that a person entering the US can't know how long they can stay UNTIL they land. How are people supposed to plan and schedule airline tickets? It can very expensive to change a ticket.

Your G/F has a 10 year multi visa for the US. Each entry is good for 6 months maxium. Your G/F will be given a departure date of 6 months from arrival. This date will be stamped in her PP and on the I 94 forum. She needs to have a copy of her return ticket with her as she may be asked.

Make sure she is not carrying documents such as a cv or educational qualifications or anything in her luggage that suggests she is coming to settle.

What??!! They're going to search her and look for evidence that she might be lying and trying to stay in the country? Is it really that serious?

LOL, she would have it on a thumb drive anyway, not printed out.

it gets even better! even a 10Y validity visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. it is up to the immigration officer to grant entry. numerous cases exist where travellers were sent back for various, sometimes ridiculous, reasons.

however, rule of thumb is that the holder of a 10Y visa is given six months. we lived 15 years in the US based on the afore-mentioned visa and were never asked to show a return ticket. nearly all our flights originated in the US.

Make sure she is not carrying documents such as a cv or educational qualifications or anything in her luggage that suggests she is coming to settle.

What??!! They're going to search her and look for evidence that she might be lying and trying to stay in the country? Is it really that serious?

Odds are she'll just get stamped in without any questions, but others have said, US immigration officers are probably the last people you want to fool with. They'll happily send someone back without a second thought and given the way entering the US works, you waive all your rights to immigration appeal until after you are stamped in.

What kind of grilling?

Sometimes citizens get the same treatment.

Anyways, it wouldn't be a bad idea for your GF to have an itinerary that she can present to the immigration agent, or at least be able to give a verbal itinerary of where you plan to visit and what you plan to do. My friends haven't really had trouble coming over, but they were always short trips (one month) and had a written itinerary to present to the immigration agent. Example : Going to Chicago for a week to see the Sears tower and do some shopping, then down to St Louis to see the Arch, flying to New York to see auntie, then back home to Thailand on XYZ date.

If you really want to be a wise ass, tell the immigration officer she came to the USA to learn spanish and grill tacos.

Odds are she'll just get stamped in without any questions, but others have said, US immigration officers are probably the last people you want to fool with. They'll happily send someone back without a second thought and given the way entering the US works, you waive all your rights to immigration appeal until after you are stamped in.

Thumb drive documents are not certified...therefore, worthless. Why bother?

Thumb drive documents are not certified...therefore, worthless. Why bother?

not sure what you mean...

it gets even better! even a 10Y validity visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. it is up to the immigration officer to grant entry. numerous cases exist where travellers were sent back for various, sometimes ridiculous, reasons.

however, rule of thumb is that the holder of a 10Y visa is given six months. we lived 15 years in the US based on the afore-mentioned visa and were never asked to show a return ticket. nearly all our flights originated in the US.

There is no such "rule of thumb" - a couple of years back I was grilled for three hours at LAX. The immigration officer went through my entire luggage and kept asking me to admit that I intended to stay in the country. I had a 10-year visa and a return ticket. At the end of it all, he gave me a three-month stamp - I didn't care as I had to return within the month anyway. But it was not a pleasant experience.

Luke, in all likelihood, you G/F will have no problems. Heed the above alarming responses but don't scare your G/F before she arrives. Having a return air ticket, a printed itinerary of her stay, including your name and address where she will be staying, and looking presentable when she arrives at the CBP booth, will most likely get her admitted with permission to stay 6 months. If she can speak English, it will help also. But if you scare her before her trip with all of the above horror stories, even though they are all true, she could possibly come across to the Immigration officer as scared and lead him to think you G/F is not telling the truth. From all of the times I have entered the USA, if you're polite and friendly to the Immigration officer, he/she will most likely be the same in return. Good luck to you both and I hope she enjoys her stay in the USA. I hope she enjoys the cold weather!

Put any documents into the cloud rather than onto physical devices.

That is one less thing to be searched.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

once i was in the interview room for 2 hours, you need to prepare what should you answers, what you should carry or not carry when you travel compare to your VISA STATUS, they can deport you in the next flight if you gave the wrong answers, or carry such a education documents and any thing that proof you might stay for working or marry or something else that do not match with your VISA STATUS.