Fruit carts in tourist areas ... ask the price first ... they've got knives

Jingthing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newbie mistake really.. So, what fruit was it, how much of it and how much did you pay ?

totster smile.png

It was farang.

The normal market rate is 20.

If quite large, sometimes 25.

This fruit wasn't even large. He wanted 30. Never been asked 30 before from a cart for this and I buy all the time.

He was definitely playing a tourist rip off game, located in a high traffic tourist area, he claimed only to speak Thai (which I didn't believe) but it was no problem for me with the numbers. He was acting like the problem was that I didn't understand 30 in Thai but from my POV it was a well rehearsed game for him. I applaud his business acumen and flair with knife waving.

Yes I do usually ask. Again, no biggie. Just another slice of Pattaya life.

Again, not much money involved, but it occurred to me a vendor COULD demand much more money, say 100, and the implied contract is still there, you ordered the fruit, he cut it, you don't know the price, you're really obligated to pay whatever. Enforced by local transport players if you don't.

I should also say that half the time when a tourist area fruit vendor tries one on (before cutting) and you start to walk away, they then agree to sell for the normal market price. I get complacent because I often buy in more local's areas where it almost seems rude to ask the price about something you know the price of.

Edited by Jingthing

5 bhat..

10 baht actually, representing 50 percent more than the actual current local market price.

Now fasten your seat belts for the Cheap Charley insults.

10 baht or 100,000 baht -- it's still a scam and a scam enforced with a threat of violence, and no I don't believe he would do that to Thai people either.

I'm also rather confident if I HAD walked away from the fruit, I would have been left a bloody mess. At the mere whiff of a Thai-Pegot (Pan European Guest of Thailand) conflict (ironically over a farang) I could already see the taxi boys stirring.

This is the environment we're living in here and yes it IS getting worse. You can feel the violence in the air here. It seems it's probably related to the national political conflict.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I find this annoying too. If I forget to ask the price I will usually get charged more than the actual cost.

Nothing Cheap Charlie about it at all, just an example of how you can be Nicled and dimed to death here if you don't pay attention.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

5 bhat..

10 baht actually, representing 50 percent more than the actual current local market price.

10 baht or 100,000 baht -- it's still a scam and a scam enforced with a threat of violence, and no I don't believe he would do that to Thai people either.

I'm also rather confident if I HAD walked away from the fruit, I would have been left a bloody mess. At the mere whiff of a Thai-Pegot (Pan European Guest of Thailand) conflict (ironically over a farang) I could already see the taxi boys stirring.

This is the environment we're living in here and yes it IS getting worse. You can feel the violence in the air here. It seems it's probably related to the national political conflict.

He's making good money fleecing farangs selling overpriced farangs...what's he got to be upset about? Its not like he is an unpaid rice farmer waiting for payment on his pledged rice from a caretaker government or something.

• Like 1

I've only ever been asked for more for fruit at the south entrance of Walking St./Bali Hai entrance and the top of Pratamnuk hill's lookout. There's only 1 seller so they've got you by the short hairs. BBQ salted fish sold at nearly every market: The price varies from 100-160 baht for what appears to be the same sized fish. Ask first in this case.

So you - by your description - put yourself in a certain level of danger for 10 baht, which is about 30 cents US.

If memory serves me correctly, you did the same thing with a baht bus driver and suffered kicks and punches for it.

Seriously, is it really worth it to continue to push the envelope at every possible moment? Is 30 cents really worth getting your ass kicked royally or worse?

• Like 1

There really wasn't any choice.

No discussion.

No negotiation 50/50.

Either pay or get beaten up by a gang.

Of course, pay.

Yes, a small amount of money, but still instructive of the street rules here.

Edited by Jingthing

5 bhat..

I buy fruit from one of the big supermarkets and just keep it in my fridge, dealing with these street vendors just isn't worth the hassle or stress over such a small thing...plus its much better value.

But is it really the case there is more of a feeling of violence in the air? I am not in Pattaya right now so so i cant say but i wonder if you are right and and whether the protest will in some way lead some thais to feel extra entitled to direct their anger at foreigners?

So you - by your description - put yourself in a certain level of danger for 10 baht, which is about 30 cents US.

If memory serves me correctly, you did the same thing with a baht bus driver and suffered kicks and punches for it.

Seriously, is it really worth it to continue to push the envelope at every possible moment? Is 30 cents really worth getting your ass kicked royally or worse?

Right, asserting yourself politely is never a good idea, just bend over and take it up the.......

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nonsense. There are principles worth fighting over. 10 baht is not one of them.

• Like 1

Yes, I am feeling more violence in the air.

I can't speak for others.

I see another poster feels it too.

It might make an interesting poll question but I won't do it as I reckon it would be seen as too sensitive a subject, especially now.

Thais have become very sensitive to many things.

Anyone know why ?

Do Thais know why ? cheesy.gif

Aggression now seems on many a Thai mind. Just look at some of the recent shootings. Mostly for trivial matters.

• Like 2

Jingthing you have been around for a while, why did you not reply in (fractured) Thai?

A simple;

"Arai na" "ni paeng maak" " yeesip baht"

should sort things.

I talked to him but it was too late. Otherwise, I don't get your point at all. The deed was done. The point is obviously, talk BEFORE.

Nonsense. There are principles worth fighting over. 10 baht is not one of them.

No.

You either have principles, or you don't. Amount has nothing to do with it.

5 baht, 10 baht, 1000 baht, doesn't make a difference.

Besides, there was no fighting, foreigner was threatened with violence, he wisely backed off. But knowing he was being scammed, he was standing by his principles, only gave up after threat of violence, you in similar situation would have forgotten your principles, cos it was just 5 baht.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

Normal price 10 Baht (been buying it and eating it for years), I asked the price a couple of days ago outside a 7-11 before she cut it, 40 BAHT!!!! Are they havin' a laugh????

Guess it's time to take the p*ss out of expats again!!

5 bhat..

quite true.

The other day I had a yam woonsen from a cart jomtien beach road.

The cart wanted 90 baht - the restaurant next door 75. hmmmm.

• Like 1

Stick to your regular trusted traders then you won't have these problems constantly.

Great advise if you happen to be very near your, "regular trusted traders" when you wish to purchase / eat something! Unfortunatley the advise doesn't address the bottom line though, which is violence, threats towards to foreigners, and blatant double / triple pricing.

Stick to your regular trusted traders then you won't have these problems constantly.

Great advise if you happen to be very near your, "regular trusted traders" when you wish to purchase / eat something! Unfortunatley the advise doesn't address the bottom line though, which is violence, threats towards to foreigners, and blatant double / triple pricing.

Triple pricing? I must have missed that. I thought it was 50% more than what Jingthing usually pays.

Anyway; The seller is quite right in setting whatever price that he wants to sell at. Good luck to him.

Triple pricing? I must have missed that. I thought it was 50% more than what Jingthing usually pays.

Anyway; The seller is quite right in setting whatever price that he wants to sell at. Good luck to him.

Fine. Then bloody POST the prices. Fat chance, huh? If this was such a free will exchange, why could I not have refused to pay his demand without risk of severe bodily harm?

In general, I totally agree. I believe in free will consensual market agreements and full transparency. This wasn't that. This was a very small scale scam / intimidation game.

To illustrate this further, suppose this vendor DID post his unusually high prices and charge all customers, Thai and tourists the same. His sales volume would be hurt for sure, as many Thais buy fruit from carts, and many tourists (and all fruit buying expats) learn normal pricing as well.

Again, the fruit thing isn't actually a problem.

It's true many tourists don't care and will pay whatever.

For people who know the market price and don't wish to pay more, you just need to ask the price, as I usually do.

For people who can't see this is about more than fruit and 10 baht, sorry you don't get it.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 bhat..

Here we go.... a percentage calculation to make it seem far worse....like would you ever pay 3 baht for something normally priced at 2 baht. You have to deal with these "massive" percentage fluctuations in Cosy Beach all the time.

I would see it as a measly 10 baht more, not a fifty percent hike. Whether I'd pay the 50% difference or not would depend on how easy the same quality of fruit could be found in the area for the lower price or not.

Another thing you may consider. Fruit is one commodity which fluctuates in price more than most. For example, I've seen fresh coconuts range from 10 baht to 35 baht in the course of a year. My goodness! A 350% difference! Many examples come to mind... long kong: 50 to 125 or more per kilo is another good example. Mangoes fluctuate significantly too.