Thailand as an ideal location for a tech startup?

I know of a foreign software developer that hires in the west then allows their staff to relocate here and work from home in Bangkok. Seems to work very well.

Part of the attraction of working for a company like Facebook or Twitter would be the group dynamics. Not sure if that could be recreated in Thailand with their lack of intelligence. A Thai local educated in computer science overseas would have no reason to work here with the higher salaries in the west.

• Like 1

Looking at global IQ scores, Thai students rank near the bottom. In international standardized testing, they rank near the bottom in math and sciences. So yes, it would be a fair statement to make.

I have seen the types of students that are successful in computer science at highly ranked universities. They are so intelligent that I have yet to meet a single Thai person that would even come close to their equal.

I am smarter than most Thais I meet and I can barely function at first year calculus. These software people are far beyond that. Talk to falang teachers in Thailand and listen to them tell you just how stupid their students are. Stupid as in lack of critical thinking and reasoning skills….but nice people all the same.

• Like 2

Not sure if that could be recreated in Thailand with their lack of intelligence.

Was this really necessary? Even taken in context, it's a bit offensive and obviously inaccurate.

Ironically, such statements generally reflect the speaker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

I'm afraid he's entirely accurate.

Nobody in the world employs a Thai if given an alternative.

Even Thais would rather employ Burmese over a Thai.

Thais are not only poorly educated, but generally dishonest, lazy and unreliable.

Maybe 1 in 1,000 is different, but really not worthwhile sorting through all the dross with purchased qualifications.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Having a billion dollar company that is legally registered in Thailand and subjected to Thai laws and the whims of the Thai political and social system seems like a terrible idea.

What are we talking about? Programers living in Thailand and working remotely or using Thailand as a legal base to run your business from?

I don't know why anyone should choose an onshore location to run an online business.

Incorporate offshore (Hong Kong, BVI, Panama, etc.) and then establish cost centers abroad, for example one for software programming, one for infrastructure, one for centralized services such as admin and payroll, one for support, and one for sales and (key) account management. Done.

As someone who's spent his entire career online (since 1999) doing Adult, Gambling, Leadgen, Mail, Processing, Media buying, PPC and god knows what else.....

If you're serious about starting a business, you will. Simple as that.

Everything necessary to start a small company, scale it, and make a lot of money is here.

There is lots of money to be made from the Thai market, that much is true.

The local tech talent, education system and infrastructure is a bit weak, but the staff are out there.

A very large Ticket company in AUS has a office full of Thai developers here, so it's possible.

Compared to Malaysia and Singapore or doing BPO in Phil, Thailand scares a lot of interested parties away with the 7 share holders %49/60/74 etc etc.

Check out the BOI website. It's very good

A very large Ticket company in AUS has a office full of Thai developers here, so it's possible.

Compared to Malaysia and Singapore or doing BPO in Phil, Thailand scares a lot of interested parties away with the 7 share holders %49/60/74 etc etc.

They are money laundering, or something equally iffy.

I doubt the Thai developers are required to do anything beyond popping their zits.

As someone who's spent his entire career online (since 1999) doing Adult, Gambling, Leadgen, Mail, Processing, Media buying, PPC and god knows what else.....

If you're serious about starting a business, you will. Simple as that.

Everything necessary to start a small company, scale it, and make a lot of money is here.

There is lots of money to be made from the Thai market, that much is true.

The local tech talent, education system and infrastructure is a bit weak, but the staff are out there.

Check out the BOI website. It's very good

7 shareholders are no longer required, now it's 3