Pay for pledged rice or parties will lose votes, Thai farmers warn

webfact

Govt 'will lose if demands not met'
THE NATION

30225048-01_big.jpg

Pay for pledged rice or parties will lose votes, farmers warn

BANGKOK: -- About 500 farmers yesterday blocked the Indochine intersection in Phitsanulok, a major route linking a number of nations in this region, to demand that the government speed up payment for their rice pledges.

Their leaders gave the government until the end of the month to pay their dues, or they would step up their protests and punish the government's coalition partners by voting for other parties in the February 2 election.

The government claims to be short of the cash needed to pay the Bt167 billion owed to the 1.4 million farmers who joined the rice-pledging scheme. The farmers were supposed to receive payment for their pledges last October.

Phitsanulok farmers gathered at the intersection at 9.15am, using trailers and farm trucks to block the intersection. The junction is part of the East-West Economic Corridor that links the Kingdom to Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam.

Despite the blockade, traffic was still able to move, although at slow pace, as motorists found ways around the intersection.

Ekubol Phuttharak, chairman of the Phitsanulok Farmers Council, led the protest. He said farmers in the province sold their rice to the government under the pledging scheme for Bt7 billion, but only Bt1 billion had so far been paid to them. Farmers have been owed the money since October, he said.

"I think if the government cannot pay the remaining amount, it will affect the votes of its coalition partners," he said. "Farmers will not vote for them."

Meanwhile, in Kamphaeng Phet, about 1,000 farmers rallied at the provincial government complex, also demanding that the government speed up payment for their rice pledges.

Surachet Siniang, chairman of the Kamphaeng Phet Farmers Club, said about 40,000 farmers in his province had not been paid for their rice and the government owed them more than Bt10 billion.

Surachet complained that government agencies had failed to inform them exactly when they would receive their payments.

About 1,000 other Kamphaeng Phet farmers also blocked the Salok Batr intersection in Khanu Woralaksaburi district. The blockade prompted motorists to bypass the junction.

In Uthai Thani, about 1,000 farmers led by Mana Thong-on, Wichien Khita and Sinchai Prasit rallied at the provincial hall.

The leaders said they would give the government until tomorrow Saturdayto pay them, or else they would join farmers from other provinces to block the Asia Highway in Ban Tanam On in Nakhon Sawan's Phayuha Khiri district.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-24

The Chairman of the National Farmers' Council says he has been told by the Caretaker Commerce Minister that overdue pledging payments will be made in about 3 weeks.

HHmm, , get the votes safely in on Feb 02 then again it will be ' Houston we have a problem '.

Unfortunately, when the government says it will pay for the rice, in the fullness of time & at the appropriate juncture & after considering all the options & after due consideration or mulling of possibilities, what it really means is that it will try yet-again to issue bonds to borrow the money to pay for the rice.

And that it will delay selling the rice-stocks, and crystallising the losses incurred, for as long as possible because they haven't budgeted properly for those embarrassing losses.

Never mind, sleight-of-hand in the government-finances & a few more 'white-lies' & refusing to release any of the figures will carry them on, for a few more months ... they hope. wink.png

It has all ended in tears, as predicted here on ThaiVisa, for a long time now !

• Like 1

I mean it's fascinating how predictable these Thai outcomes are despite their cries that their society and culture and politics are so complicated that outsiders cannot understand.

I thank God for my western education and ability to think critically. THANK YOU!

I can't imagine living in the dark like most Thais must live, unable to anticipate anything. Feel bad for them.

But if you were able to think critically you would not be thanking God for your Western education wink.png

But obviously you learned how to write critically. wink.png

• Like 1

I mean it's fascinating how predictable these Thai outcomes are despite their cries that their society and culture and politics are so complicated that outsiders cannot understand.

I thank God for my western education and ability to think critically. THANK YOU!

I can't imagine living in the dark like most Thais must live, unable to anticipate anything. Feel bad for them.

But if you were able to think critically you would not be thanking God for your Western education wink.png

Youd rather have one here ? blink.png

But obviously you learned how to write critically. wink.png

Sorry, the comment brought out the Hitchins in me tongue.png

• Like 1

I am still waiting for Thaksin to step in in the next few days and offer to pay all the farmers. 130 billion is a mere fraction of what Shinclan have stolen in the last 2 years and as it is Thailand's money anyway but he will get all the credit, it makes perfect sense for the man that wants to be the countries first President to pull such a stunt. Give the country back some of the money you stole, pull the masses of uneducated and illiterate out of the poop (temporarily) and ensure yourself of millions of votes at the next election. What a tangled web....

Agreed and if the Dems where smart they would step in and offer to pay the rice farmers, 130 billion bahht is just a drop in the bucket for the BKK elites, the wealth they have amassed in ill gotten ways makes Thaksins wealth look like peanuts in comparrison. They could even take it a step furthur and turn their selves in for corruption and offer to serve jail terms this would give them a fighting chance in any upcoming elections!

• Like 2

The red support silence on the rice scam is always music to my ears. Remember when they came up with this scam a few where here talking up the scam and predicting its success. I have to wonder where GK gets off to when the rice scam comes up in a conversation.

• Like 2

Hahaha!!!

PTO created a gong show here

Now if they pay the farmers it's vote buying

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The sad thing is that farmers will likely sell their vote for 500 baht, to the same mongrels that owe them tens of thousands!!

Hahaha!!!

PTO created a gong show here

Now if they pay the farmers it's vote buying

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was always a vote buying scheme

Turned out to be a bit more expensive than anticipated. Next time we'll stick to 500 baht each.

I am still waiting for Thaksin to step in in the next few days and offer to pay all the farmers. 130 billion is a mere fraction of what Shinclan have stolen in the last 2 years and as it is Thailand's money anyway but he will get all the credit, it makes perfect sense for the man that wants to be the countries first President to pull such a stunt. Give the country back some of the money you stole, pull the masses of uneducated and illiterate out of the poop (temporarily) and ensure yourself of millions of votes at the next election. What a tangled web....

Imagine the magnanimity and humility that would accompany such a gesture.

The loan sharks won't keep waiting for their money back from the farmers, like the farmers keep hanging on to false promises from the PTP...

Farmer "give us our money"

PTP "it's coming, honestly"

Farmer "well it better be, or else"

Loan shark "give us our money"

Farmer "it's coming, honestly"

Click click, booom.....

Agreed and if the Dems where smart they would step in and offer to pay the rice farmers, 130 billion bahht is just a drop in the bucket for the BKK elites, the wealth they have amassed in ill gotten ways makes Thaksins wealth look like peanuts in comparrison. They could even take it a step furthur and turn their selves in for corruption and offer to serve jail terms this would give them a fighting chance in any upcoming elections!

Ah those infamous mysterious 'elites' as ever, same old tired crap as usual....You are a broken record...

Ah those infamous mysterious 'elites' as ever, same old tired crap as usual....You are a broken record...

OK Tingtong you are right Thaksin is the only rich elite in all of Thailand the only one who has ever been corrupt, he is the root of all evil that is in this country. And that train of thought as you have is exactly what the problem is today, wake up and pull your out of your a**rse!

Pay for pledged rice or parties will lose votes, farmers warn

The clearest statement pointing to vote buying in the last election, and if payment is now made, the clearest evidence for vote buying in the coming election...clap2.gif

Also a clear indication to the EC that if they authorised the Caretaker Government to borrow, clearly it is strongly politically associated. Poor PTPwhistling.gif

• Like 1

It seems almost moot at this point to observe that Pheu Thai has suffered a loss of support from this scheme. It bought them the election, but no one thought they could seriously sustain such a programme without collapse.

Edited by Scamper

"Their leaders gave the government until the end of the month to pay their dues, or they would step up their protests and punish the government's coalition partners by voting for other parties in the February 2 election."

Well, stated like this the government cannot pay the farmers as clearly that would be similar to vote buying. One worry less for this caretaking government rolleyes.gif