Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra offers to cancel election

webfact

Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra offers to cancel election
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months.

But in the latest tactic aimed at toppling the democratically elected government firebrand protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban declared that protesters would ‘‘persuade’’ people not to vote when advance polling opens at stations on Sunday.

‘‘It would be better if you do not go out because you will find we have taken over the polling stations,’’ Mr Suthep told voters.

The government’s unprecedented offer followed a ruling by the country’s Constitution Court on Friday that the election could be legally delayed, adding pressure on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is facing a string of legal challenges to her rule as well sometimes violent protests that have crippled ministries and shut down parts of Bangkok.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thai-pm-yingluck-shinawatra-offers-to-cancel-election-20140125-hv9sk.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-25

• Like 1

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘‘It would be better if you do not go out because you will find we have taken over the polling stations,’’ Mr Suthep told voters.

Once again Suthep is trying to intimidate voters.

Once again Suthep is trying to intimidate voters.

You forgot to add "with his vicious army of thugs".

I have reach my limit on saying thugs for today. whistling.gif

• Like 2

What a sad day for Thailand!!

The powers behind the scene pulling the strings and getting their way again!!

All to keep an outdated feudal system in place!!bah.gif

And I see the Shins for, what they are. A corrupt family feeding their cronies!

If all this ends with a "peoples council", the clock has just been turned back another 50 years!!

I dont understand your post - shins have to go - but no electoral reform - what do you want then>>??

• Like 1

This cycle has no chance of ending. If the protests are successful, there will be another 2010 and the Reds will return. The only thing we can hope for as foreigners is civil war doesn't break out.

Thailand wants to be recognized on the World Stage but they are only proving they can never be more than a third world country in constant chaos.

It seems Thais have the appetite to be in conflict with someone. IMO, they enjoy the ongoing indifference they have with foreigners as well as their own kind.

Edited by expat888
  • Like 1

Yingluck has agreed to resign and leave politics forever if her families safety is guaranteed and if there will be a normal run of the mill election. Currently Suthep and the PDRC have refused to completely okay this offer, however they haven't flat out refused it either.

When did Yingluck agree to resign and leave politics forever? Did I miss something?

There was an article about it in the Bangkok post about a week ago I will see if I can find it.

• Like 2

Now wait for the details of the offer to become available.

Keypoints will be that the current government stays in power until a new one is elected, and that the new elections will be delayed for 2 months only, just in time to have a new government formed befor D-day 10 May. The day the amnesty bill returns to the lower house.

A solution to that could be, that the Dems register for the new election-date. They got the momentum at the moment, if only they manage to get the rent-a-mob off the streets, because they are scaring away many average voters!w00t.gif

As for the D-day. Not even PTP would be that stupid??? OR..................

• Like 1

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months." as reported here. Clueless.

Government continues to crumble. They're just delaying the inevitable now - the Shins are going to have to go.

Read careful what is report here:

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

They have no intention to delay.

Edited by icommunity
  • Like 2