Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra offers to cancel election

webfact

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad day for Thailand!!

The powers behind the scene pulling the strings and getting their way again!!

All to keep an outdated feudal system in place!!bah.gif

And I see the Shins for, what they are. A corrupt family feeding their cronies!

If all this ends with a "peoples council", the clock has just been turned back another 50 years!!

I dont understand your post - shins have to go - but no electoral reform - what do you want then>>??

I think you did not read his post well. He did not ask for no reforms, he despise (as I do) Suthep's "People's council"...

And I see the Shins for, what they are. A corrupt family feeding their cronies!

If all this ends with a "peoples council", the clock has just been turned back another 50 years!!

You slag the Shins and then the ''people's council'' idea as well. The ''council'' idea is from Suthep.

Both sides are as bad as each other. Whoever's in power out of the current crop of so-called politicians Thailand is doomed!

• Like 1

"Ms Yingluck has sent a signal she is ready to step down and postpone the election. She also wants assurances that her family will be safe."

She also previously wanted to leave politics entirely by resigning until Thaksin said she could be charged for not doing her duty. She seems like she just want's her family to be safe especially after people following her son and threatening her family.

Edit: I got it wrong it doesnt say she wanted to leave politics forever in that article, my bad. However he willingness to leave politics has come up on several occasions since the protests began.

At the end of the day it is about giving Thaksin the best chance of maintaining his grip on the Thai government corruption pie and if Yingluck resigning and postponing the elections is the best way for him to do that, that is what will happen.

Edited by Tarric

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

What Suthep wants, is not what the country wants, kindly refer to the poll on this forum, that state 79% of Thai's polled plan to vote!

Finally, the elitist lapdogs on the Court realize they have no authority to make such a ruling on postponing an election under the constitution. And referred to the Army cancelling the 2006 election,in their decision that it had been done before! (very thin legal grounds)

It places the Government back in control of the situation, Yingluck offered reasonable conditions that all parties must agree to prior to such an agreement. If they refuse to agree on the reasonable offer.

Then is by there refusal, to end the protest, that the election was not postponed.

Ball back in your court, Suthep!

Classic!

How does calling an election without agreeing to discuss the protesters calls for change change anything? All this "offer" does is change the date, nothing else.

suthep's fascist council isn't the solution but the protesters feel there does need to be change and some sort of framework created to bring it about.

Changing the date won't do this.

As for polls, a poll gives the answers the pollsters want it to.

• Like 1

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months." as reported here. Clueless.

Yes. And how will this meet the protesters calls for change?

• Like 1

Yingluck has agreed to resign and leave politics forever if her families safety is guaranteed and if there will be a normal run of the mill election. Currently Suthep and the PDRC have refused to completely okay this offer, however they haven't flat out refused it either.

When did Yingluck agree to resign and leave politics forever? Did I miss something?

There was an article about it in the Bangkok post about a week ago I will see if I can find it.

If there was and she said that then I missed that completely.

"Ms Yingluck has sent a signal she is ready to step down and postpone the election. She also wants assurances that her family will be safe."

She also previously wanted to leave politics entirely by resigning until Thaksin said she could be charged for not doing her duty. She seems like she just want's her family to be safe especially after people following her son and threatening her family.

Edit: I got it wrong it doesnt say she wanted to leave politics forever in that article, my bad. However he willingness to leave politics has come up on several occasions since the protests began.

At the end of the day it is about giving Thaksin the best chance of maintaining his grip on the Thai government corruption pie and if Yingluck resigning and postponing the elections is the best way for him to do that, that is what will happen.

Hardly the same thing now is it. If she steps down, the other sister takes over. It's not rocket science, nor is it leaving Politics forever.

a noble offer to try and end the crisis... she could not do it before the Court said it was legal. If the fascists and the Un-Democratic Party agree to stop the attempted coup and support a delayed election in a few months there will be time in the interregnum to discuss the complaints of the yellows in public - their proposals for reform - what people would get if they vote for them

THEN the people can vote on it at the election

• Like 1

In some way this is to save the DP and help it survive...There is a constitution provision that states boycotting an election twice, will eliminate any given political Party.....Now the EC and PAD-Dem user-friendly courts are trying to save the Party...To their surprise, the street stuff has been unable to dislodge Ms. Y....so they need to do something....It is my understanding though, that the PTP is advising its' candidates, "Full speed ahead"....It is all a game, and who knows the reality at this point.....I don't think the coup-mongers will accept this anyway...It just emasculates them for the inevitable election a short time from now, and Suthep with his co-leaders will be under immediate law enforcement pressure.

When I see this offer in the Thai press I shall believe it.

I have never heard of this 2 boycotts and you're out thing. Do you have a link?

If the CC wanted to get rid of Yingluck then it would rule on the cheating in the house and game over.

If the army wanted a coup it could have stepped in at almost any time.

So I don't think your post holds much water.

Bear in mind what else is going on.

100,000 red shirts gathering in Ayuthaya and surrounding areas

Hordes of munitions cached in Bangkok

Over 500 Cambodian mercenaries mobilised

Significant troops in Bangkok and environs

Lots of army equipment in Bangkok

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting, and Suthep is saying that they're there as a show of objection to the elections and his people are not to obstruct voters. It certainly doesn't sound as if he's sticking to one script, story, chain of events, or consequences. All it suggests is that he needs help getting into his jacket...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months." as reported here. Clueless.

The statement as reported here is dangerously midleading. The government did not offer to call off an election set for February 2. It sounds like accepting what the misled, intimidated "protesters' wanted.

Clueless.

it does - let's say the election is delayed for 3 months - this period will allow both sides to set out their case very clearly to the electorate before polling day

then vote

or are you suggesting that even if voters have a few months to digest Suthep's and PTP's proposals then vote that the majority cannot be allowed to govern? hence the end of democracy in Thailand?

In some way this is to save the DP and help it survive...There is a constitution provision that states boycotting an election twice, will eliminate any given political Party.....Now the EC and PAD-Dem user-friendly courts are trying to save the Party...To their surprise, the street stuff has been unable to dislodge Ms. Y....so they need to do something....It is my understanding though, that the PTP is advising its' candidates, "Full speed ahead"....It is all a game, and who knows the reality at this point.....I don't think the coup-mongers will accept this anyway...It just emasculates them for the inevitable election a short time from now, and Suthep with his co-leaders will be under immediate law enforcement pressure.

If the CC wanted to get rid of Yingluck then it would rule on the cheating in the house and game over.

I have to give it to you conspiracy-theorists!! Entertainment value 10 out of 10!!rolleyes.gif

Brightens up a slow Saturday morning!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Does "safe" include safe from prosecution? There are many corrupt politicians world-wide who would like a sweet deal like that, without having been the overseer of one of the world's biggest scams.

Sorry dearie, NO DEAL. There is a legitimate case to be made that she is liable for the losses caused by the rice scam, and I hope it is pursued to the last satang.

• Like 2

Hardly the same thing now is it. If she steps down, the other sister takes over. It's not rocket science, nor is it leaving Politics forever.

I'm not convinced that slotting in yet another of the Shinawatra family will be the smartest move on their part....

• Like 1

If Suthep wants reform before an election he's painted as anti-democratic. So is Yingluck now also anti-democratic by offering to deny people a vote? Doesn't it amount to the same thing?

I would say it's in PT favor to postpone because they will have time to pay farmers, which will mean more votes.Also time to clear the streets. Seems like she votes to deny people a vote until her own situation improves. What happened to all that talk of democracy?

• Like 2

BLINK.

Every timer she blinks, they realise it is working more and more.

I predict ;

They will go more peaceful and less disruptive, but not go away.

The goal is to remove Thaksin's hands from the ability to use public funds

to buy the next election in Rice country and to increase the government's embarrassment

for inept governance and mounting losses for the nation.

She just isn't appearing steely enough to stand fast an against this continuous pressure.

• Like 2

I have to give it to you conspiracy-theorists!! Entertainment value 10 out of 10!!rolleyes.gif

Brightens up a slow Saturday morning!coffee1.gif

"Lots of army equipment in Bangkok" => Check the Calendar, it's Army day ...

it does - let's say the election is delayed for 3 months - this period will allow both sides to set out their case very clearly to the electorate before polling day

then vote

or are you suggesting that even if voters have a few months to digest Suthep's and PTP's proposals then vote that the majority cannot be allowed to govern? hence the end of democracy in Thailand?

Nope. I've never supported suthep's fascist council or their loony plans. I also support elections and have made that clear. However the protesters have legitimate complaints. Govts once in power can do whatever they want with impunity. PT pushed this behaviour too far and now change and an end to corruption in govt is being called for.

My question is how will simply changing the date of an election bring this about? There is nothing in the OP about a dialogue being opened between the two sides to find a middle ground free of the likes of suthep and chalerm and their ilk.

Or did I miss something?