Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra offers to cancel election

webfact

So funny all these people saying the government is "over". Have you been to the protest site in Asok recently? There's more street sellers selling protest merchandise than protestors. Anyone who knows anything about politics, whether they like Yingluck or not, knows she has played this like a seasoned veteran.

I think that most of the posters who are declaring that the Govt has lost do not reside in Bkk and can only keep up with what they read from some media. Scenes which shows thousands of protestors, words like embattled PM etc.

Those of us that live in Bkk (especially close to the protest sites) have a better feeling of the general mood of the protestors. Yes, they want reform, less corruption and so on - after all, who doesn't? But is there really a groundswell of emotions to kick out YL? I don't feel that. They want the govt to hear them, that's all.

The best thing for YL and Co to do is to acknowledge that there has been failings in her govt, that she hears the voice of the people and that she will genuinely take the lead to put reforms in place (at this juncture, the usual suspects will retaliate with notions of her incompetency, her preference for shopping instead of governing and all the usual kindergarten stuff).

IMO, this should be one of her next political moves. She is the darling of Isaan, I don't think that even her non-supporters hate her personally, she has the charm to woo them, if she will display strong leadership at this point in time.

In the early days of the protest, the whistles were loud during the speeches, nowadays they are loudest during the concerts.

• Like 2

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She really does not have much of an option, the election at the moment looks likely to end in disaster.

She and her associates dont seem to have much of an idea what to about the current situation, but, on the other hand if Suthep and friends did get into a position of power albeit temporarily to "fix things" would that be any better option? Thai politics is in a sorry state, no wonder tourists dont come they would not know what to expect, they can only guess and the safe guess is to go somewhere else this year. Dont seem to be many Chinese around either. To the outside world Thailand seems to lurching from one crisis to another with no end in sight.

If Suthep and friends get into power, you can be certain that it will not bw temporary. Once they are in they will make dam_n sure that Pheu Thai, in whatever incarnation ( and you can take that as meaning the rural electorate North and East of Bangkok) will never have a say again.

Never??? IF Suthep happens to get into power, already there will be red shirts AND others on the streets. If he doesn't have a clear plan to be out of there within a few months, it will be civil war. If he stays around, he won't have support from any international countries (except NK maybe), investment and industry will grind to a halt and Thailand will head into the dark ages.

IF he happens to get into power, he won't be there for long.

So you believe the US Government will give up a chance to build its new military base in Thailand if Yingluck looses

Dreams must be 10 a penny in you house

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

Agreed. But to balance this out, could Suthep be any more arrogant when he says it would be better if you don't go out to the polling stations because the PCAD are taking them over. He clearly can't stand the idea of people making their own minds up. And some farang posters on here still praise him. He gets more fascistic by he day.
No argument from me there.

Was Brave Heart also not a Freedom Fighter

Until he was betrayed by his own kind

Yet in the west we have made him a hero in history

Off topic I know but in the version of Brave Heart which I saw he was an Australian with a chip on his shoulder the size of Ayers Rock!

Keep smiling lads.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

What the protesters want ? You mean that minority of the population trying to dictate to the majority

I did not know we had already had the election

I though we need to have an election to see if that is a fact or not

Oh sorry I see

Yingluck said that so must be a fact

What the protesters want ? You mean that minority of the population trying to dictate to the majority

Oh sorry I see

Nope. The majority that voted the govt in for 4 years. That period has not ended yet and the govt were merely bullied into stepping down. You know that so less of the smart arse comments.

• Like 1

Nope. I've never supported suthep's fascist council or their loony plans. I also support elections and have made that clear. However the protesters have legitimate complaints. Govts once in power can do whatever they want with impunity. PT pushed this behaviour too far and now change and an end to corruption in govt is being called for.

My question is how will simply changing the date of an election bring this about? There is nothing in the OP about a dialogue being opened between the two sides to find a middle ground free of the likes of suthep and chalerm and their ilk.

Or did I miss something?

yes, to be fair, you have never supported Suthep

my point is - if there is a 3 month delay both sides have that time to put their arguments to the populace - then let the people decide do they want a PTP government or the Un-Dems/elites in power OR a Suthep led People's Fascist Council Party

lay it all out - debate and argue - then vote

A considerable number of people want the election and then reforms. A considerable number of people want reforms then the election.

It's no secret that the current systems doesn't work, that the caretaker government have lied on numerous occasions and are the subject of an array of corruption probes. It highly likely that a :people's council" would some what less than democratic. Can either side be trusted? Both seem to make promises that aren't kept, do u-turns when it suits, and lie when challenged.

Suggesting a delay in the election, giving time to both sides to put forward fully explained manifestos, maybe even televised debates, would be sensible, as you suggest, in lots of contexts. But, when you contextualize it too the situation and players here, then it doesn't really seem likely to deliver. It would require a massive change in behavior and mindset from too many politicians who have been getting it good for too long.

I don't know what the answer is - this is Thailand and the answer must be something unique to Thailand.

Oh sorry I see

Nope. The majority that voted the govt in for 4 years. That period has not ended yet and the govt were merely bullied into stepping down. You know that so less of the smart arse comments.

sorry it was your statement that said

"You mean that minority of the population trying to dictate to the majority"

at no time did you say "At the time of the last election

if what you are saying is a know fact

why are we wasting millions of baht on an election

all we need to do is ask you

• Like 1

Oh sorry I see

Would the majority you refer to be the large minority of voters who voted for PTP.

Clearly, your're not a smart arse !

Was Brave Heart also not a Freedom Fighter

Until he was betrayed by his own kind

Yet in the west we have made him a hero in history

Off topic I know but in the version of Brave Heart which I saw he was an Australian with a chip on his shoulder the size of Ayers Rock!

Keep smiling lads.

I'm not sure Mel Gibson's version of Brave Heart has much to do with historical facts!

A few liberties taken for the sake of "entertainment".

• Like 2

So funny all these people saying the government is "over". Have you been to the protest site in Asok recently? There's more street sellers selling protest merchandise than protestors. Anyone who knows anything about politics, whether they like Yingluck or not, knows she has played this like a seasoned veteran.

Played an amazing "round" with wonderful advice from the well seasoned caddy clap2.gif

• Like 1

But the majority of the electorate are happy with it so why should the minority protesters get their way to change the way things are. Its the protesters party who need to reform and win over voters to win the election through the ballot box, not mob rule and closing down polling stations.

Oh sorry I see

The term has indeed ended. The house has been dissolved

"Offers to call off election"?!cheesy.gif

Whilst paying every voter 1000 Thb?

NOW she will save a lot of money...

So the Election is ON....(from Aunty)

Thailand protesters 'promise not to obstruct voting'

Thai protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has promised that his supporters will not obstruct advance voting for next week's general election.

Mr Suthep says protesters will not try to stop people from casting their ballots from Sunday, but will demonstrate outside polling stations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25892907

Oh sorry I see

Would the majority you refer to be the large minority of voters who voted for PTP.

Clearly, your're not a smart arse !

However, however you look at it, it's not the majority that is calling for YL's resignation, is it?

Government continues to crumble. They're just delaying the inevitable now - the Shins are going to have to go.

Ok the shins have to go. So what do you want to take over the sutheps???? These are murderers of 90 people and dont have time to go to court to plead NG. What a joke.

Red spin...... a total of 92 people were killed during the 2010 red riots. That tally includes innocent passers-by that had grenades lobbed at them by red shirts, and also soldiers killed by black shirts.

So she might follow the constitution courts ruling and change election dates. I would be careful, she followed their ruling last time regarding amending the constitution to allow for the election of all senators and they ruled it unconstitutional. One judge called it tyranny of the majority. I am sure the constitution court can always find one minor little thing she did wrong, as they did with the senator amendment, that can bring charges against her.

But the majority of the electorate are happy with it so why should the minority protesters get their way to change the way things are. Its the protesters party who need to reform and win over voters to win the election through the ballot box, not mob rule and closing down polling stations.

Elections are not the problem. I believe that you win an election then you form the govt. really don't care if PT win (which they will) or not.

Where the system goes wrong is that there is no way to remove corrupt govts, they can and do ignore or manipulate the law. The "give thaksin what he wants amnesty bill" was the spark that caused the current protests. Those protesting feel that an election that does not come with a legal framework to reign in corrupt govts is pointless.

They have a point. I don't agree with the way they are trying to effect change but I do see why they are angry. Changing the date of the election will not sooth this anger unless there is a genuine attempt at dialogue before the election.

That was the basis of my post.

What Suthep wants, is not what the country wants, kindly refer to the poll on this forum, that state 79% of Thai's polled plan to vote!

Getting paid to vote is going to increase turnout regardless of who is paying and who the people vote for.

She's clinging to power tighter than a grundlewig to a bear's ringpiece. With every passing day, and every murdered peaceful protester she is digging her hole deeper and deeper. Just how many deaths will it take for her to realize that this pro-corruption, pro-nepotism, anti-democratic rabble she is the mascot for is on its way out, the damage has been well and truly done and there is no possible way to recover her grip on power. She almost pulled it off but her amnesty and re-emburse Thaksin bill broke the camel's back.

She has every right to "cling" to power, just as Abhisit did.

But if she wants Thailand to get out of these cycles of protests, she should resign and get out of politics taking Thaksin with her. That doesn't mean that Suthep should be in power.

Agree but it's never been about Thailand with the Shins though, has it?

• Like 1

You cannot make demands for reform without stating what it is you want - they are not giving the government the opportunity to meet their demands if they wont say what they are.

The only thing they are saying is that they want an unelected council to govern Thailand and no one in their right mind would ever agree to that. Suthep - organise your party to go out and win the hearts and minds of poorer voters in the North, offer to reduce the influence that the elite in Bangkok have on the country and promote policies that benefit all Thailand and that must inevitably include higher taxation for the middle and upper classes to help pay for better services. In short if you want to destroy the influence of the Shinawatra family then force them to lose through a legitimate election though I think the assumption that all the members of the family are loyal to one person displays a real naivety about family life in general.

I think you are the one who is being naïve here. The Shin dynasty is nothing if not loyal to it's emperor.

However you are right about Suthep's woolly planning for reform, almost as bad as the government's with their mega loan.

‘‘It would be better if you do not go out because you will find we have taken over the polling stations,’’ Mr Suthep told voters.

Once again Suthep is trying to intimidate voters.

Once again Suthep is trying to intimidate voters.

You forgot to add "with his vicious army of thugs".

I wonder how many of the posters who liked your comment missed the sarcasm ? Keep em comin ratty, I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning !

Edited by mikemac
  • Like 1

Yingluck has been shown to be a liar again when she claimed the constitution wouldn't allow a postponement of the election. Thaksin has been shown to be a liar again when he said Yingluck cant resign. Why should anyone believe they have any honest intentions of honouring their offer, with barbs attached, to postpone the Feb 2 election? There must be some selfish reason why they would even consider it.

Either they have a nefarious machination in play to pay the farmers off or they don't believe they cant hold on to government til May 10th, if a valid election is held. But you can bet your sweet ass that the plan is for the PTP or another Thaksin party to win the next election and push the blanket amnesty through to absolve them of all rice corruption charges and bring Thaksin home.

For Thaksin's PTP have never been about helping the rural workers, the poor and downtrodden or Thailand as a whole. They have always been about Thaksin, self enrichment and amnesty for their crimes. The cabinet of millionaire are now the cabinet of billionaires and the new ruling elite.

Here's hoping your worst nightmare comes true.

PTP / Thaksin party wins the election, an amnesty bill that brings Thaksin back to Thailand, the rice program resolved and bet your sweet whatever your false assumptions and outright lies are exposed for what they are.

Is that really your best effort? This scenario may be a wet dream for you but its a nightmare for the Thai people who will have to live with the PTP debt legacy and pay it. It will take generations of poor quality of life for the Thai people before the damage of the past Thaksin proxy governments and their pervasive corruption is resolved. For you to rejoice at the anticipation of another Thaksin administration and a further compounding of that damage indicates what a truly despicable out look you have.

post-99167-0-44736300-1390655458_thumb.p

• Like 1

This cycle has no chance of ending. If the protests are successful, there will be another 2010 and the Reds will return. The only thing we can hope for as foreigners is civil war doesn't break out.

Thailand wants to be recognized on the World Stage but they are only proving they can never be more than a third world country in constant chaos.

It seems Thais have the appetite to be in conflict with someone. IMO, they enjoy the ongoing indifference they have with foreigners as well as their own kind.

Highly likely the Reds will return and that might not be a bad thing. The point you are missing is that the demonstrations etc are NOT about the red shirts. They are about removing the Shinawatra clan from Thailand.

• Like 2