How To Teach And Control Grade Six Students Most Effectively..

sirchai

"You have to get them engaged, involved and having fun. Learning without them actually knowing it."

Sounds like propoganda from Edutopia.com

they teach that in the MA teaching course here, which clearly shows that the lecturers do not have a clue about what takes place in a typical Thai classroom

Actually I cannot imagine that any real teacher would object to engaging and involving students; as for fun - well learning with no fun is much harder of course, but I'm not one of those teachers on this forum that advocate entertainment in place of teaching.

I'd be interested to know whether you have studied at MA level here, or somewhere else maybe?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a teacher but was a psychiatric nurse (children and adolescence) at Napa State Hospital in California, USA for years. I think all of the teachers that think- little games and involve the students so they learn and don't know it- attitudes are the problem the world has today with teaching. It does not work folks. The idea of "mainstreaming" autistic and MRDD students with "normal" children is so much crap. That is true with children that have behavior problems as well. The real truth is that teaching the three "Rs" should be the only subjects taught. If they do not have parents that support education or teachers that know more that they do then there is not chance anything will change. You can then call yourself a human warehouseman just keeping the kids off the streets. Teach in smaller groups. take away the i-pods, mobile phones and make the computer something the better students get to use. If you give a kid an inch they will take a foot. Don't try to be their friend because they will manipulate you and make you think you are doing the job. If not just accept that you are burned out and do something else for a living.

Can you really compare US students to Thai students? Really?

Teach in smaller groups, in Thailand? Really?

Are you trying to say that human nature is not the same with all people? I did not say it would happen in Thailand but only gave a solution that we all know is the correct one. Too many "professionals" are narrow in their ideas after they get out of University and work in a nowhere, unrewarding "job" for too long. Change happens when you get rid of the old "bug-housers" and implement other systems with consistency in staff attitudes. By teaching the basics (3Rs) it is possible to shorten class times and have smaller groups. Thailand, as well as other countries including the USA, have very low math skills and science skills because of that. Math study takes energy to over come and understand blocks but eventually the student gets the "ah ha" and a little endorphin rush for his/her trouble. Yes, even in Thailand - they can do it.

Just came back from my Monday lessons. Unbelievable things did happen again today and lead me to my way out of this -mental hospital like- institution..

Many crying kids, as some weird boys had destroyed their cellphones. A guy had thrown a chair down from 3rd to 2nd floor, some students were fighting and there's no way to stay there any longer.

Did any Thais even try to help me? Guess you know the answer. I'm getting paid being a teacher, therefore I've to deal with all that babyshit.

Their behavior is understandable, as they were told to yell "ohhh yess...." and other nonsense by the Superguy who'd made the statement that he wants "noisy and naughty" kids. And when they communicate together, they do that in English. ( statement made by him in a meeting,)

No point to have a discussion with a guy, who's only here to receive his salary to send it off to his country.

I'd assume that noisy and naughty are both unwanted attitudes, when talking about students........

Unfortunately,, same guy can't really speak good English, not talking about his written tasks now..Insanity at its best. His wife, also an employee seemed to be thirsty and asked the American woman: " Can I borrow water?" as she'd a bottle of water and she wanted some of it. Then she found something in her table, but it was on. That goes on and on and on...or in"

Our American lady, with a Master's in education, who'd signed up making 26 K/month (only 1 K more than the weird guy),,, has left us last Friday, as she couldn't get anymore of this self made bullshit.

Now we're six foreigners, five of them from an Asian country. It's pretty much obvious that four of them do have some questionable documents, as they'd be entitled to apply for a teacher's license.All hold a degree in education, but only one has got the permit.

Guess we all know why people, holding a degree in education from a even poorer country than Thailand, are not going for the license, as they'll (TCT) check on their degrees.

Just had a chat with a friend, who's a lawyer, one of them wanted him to sign some dodgy documents, but he denied. Okay, none of them speaks a good English and all play games and let the kids yell, that even led a grade four teacher to start in another grade.

Her statement :" That's noise pollution and it goes on for already three and a half years." Some let the kids color stuff, speaking, and teaching them how to read and write properly, doesn't exist.

That's why the students are how they are. When I had followed my students from end of grade four to end of grade six, it was completely different. No behavioral problems,

I could even make it happen that we'd won an English project in Korat, and had to compete with all the English programmes of Isaan.

And my kids were in grade five, when they'd won this meaningful award. I'd named it " Learning English through saving the environment" and had to put a lot of time, energy and emphasis into it. The other guys were just able to stick some stuff on a board.

Of course, was my name nowhere mentioned, as all our Thai teachers had made that happen and they awarded themselves with unbelievable cool looking certificates. I wasn't interested to receive anything, as I had to write the certificates.....

I know that they're planning to let some of them go, but you never know before it happens, right. Not in an Isaan government school.

I'm pretty sure that some of you guys know which school it is about. Please do me a favor and never ever start here, as it's not worth to listen to all the lies.

I'd made a commitment and will finish my contract and then get the shit out of here. Good day.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I am not a teacher but was a psychiatric nurse (children and adolescence) at Napa State Hospital in California, USA for years. I think all of the teachers that think- little games and involve the students so they learn and don't know it- attitudes are the problem the world has today with teaching. It does not work folks. The idea of "mainstreaming" autistic and MRDD students with "normal" children is so much crap. That is true with children that have behavior problems as well. The real truth is that teaching the three "Rs" should be the only subjects taught. If they do not have parents that support education or teachers that know more that they do then there is not chance anything will change. You can then call yourself a human warehouseman just keeping the kids off the streets. Teach in smaller groups. take away the i-pods, mobile phones and make the computer something the better students get to use. If you give a kid an inch they will take a foot. Don't try to be their friend because they will manipulate you and make you think you are doing the job. If not just accept that you are burned out and do something else for a living.

Can you really compare US students to Thai students? Really?

Teach in smaller groups, in Thailand? Really?

Are you trying to say that human nature is not the same with all people? I did not say it would happen in Thailand but only gave a solution that we all know is the correct one. Too many "professionals" are narrow in their ideas after they get out of University and work in a nowhere, unrewarding "job" for too long. Change happens when you get rid of the old "bug-housers" and implement other systems with consistency in staff attitudes. By teaching the basics (3Rs) it is possible to shorten class times and have smaller groups. Thailand, as well as other countries including the USA, have very low math skills and science skills because of that. Math study takes energy to over come and understand blocks but eventually the student gets the "ah ha" and a little endorphin rush for his/her trouble. Yes, even in Thailand - they can do it.

I am no expert in human behavior. What I can say is that CULTURE does create different human beings and comparing what can be done in the USA by no means can be done here.

Other issues here are no fans in the rooms, constant class interruption or cancelations, never fail a student below 50%, etc etc. THOSE things do not happen in the USA. So, they are different here from there.

• Like 2

Just came back from my Monday lessons. Unbelievable things did happen again today and lead me to my way out of this -mental hospital like- institution..

[brevity]

I'd made a commitment and will finish my contract and then get the shit out of here. Good day.-wai2.gif

I'm pleased to see you have made a decision SirChai. Your current situation is toxic. Move on. Why don't you go and work for a nice bilingual program?

Edited by Slip
  • Like 1

[brevity]

I'm pleased to see you have made a decision SirChai. Your current situation is toxic. Move on. Why don't you go and work for a nice bilingual program?

Thanks, indeed the right decision. I honestly thought they'd change their policy but no way. Might be easier to teach a white elephant how to fly.

Had made an ad at ajarn. com, stayed in touch with a few guys and finally heard that they'll abuse me to cover some lessons in grade five. Full stop.

Of course in my free hours and they don't want to have a new teacher now, as it's "only two more months to go. Should have known better.

There's always a time in life where people have to make a decision. I made mine.Cheers-.wai2.gif .

@sirchai, reading your topic and the answers - I love it. I am not a teacher who teaches in schools and big classes. This doesn't mean I have no experiences in working with groups. I am running private communication courses. Thanks god I am not facing many of your told stories.

Still I have an idea for you how I would tackle a screaming horde that you described: "first I would try the usual way of - silence, silence sit down listen etc etc blabla". Of course that seems not to have worked. I then would clearly add in a high and loud voice "that the lesson will only start when all are sitting and are silent". Important in that moment is, that you are just quietly waiting in the front - not sitting yourself - and observe the horde. As it was mentioned above, there is always one student noticing that you mean business and won't start as long they all noisy. If after a while nothing changes I would write in simple English the following onto the board; "we start when you are silent!" I would do this even when it means not having a lesson for that hour. Of course I can't give any guaranty but it is sure worth a try.

Regarding the mobiles and tables. I heard before of putting them in a box while they are switched off that is on your table or leaving them in their bags. It seems to work if you can enforce it.

But as I write those words I see, that both subjects answered here have a close relationship. If you can manage to keep the class tidy regarding noise and attention, then they will not use their mobiles as you experience it today.

Best of luck!

Edited by iTravelNow

""sirchai" was given a suspension by one of the mods who obviously doesn't get jokes. He calls himself "metisdead".

I've experienced similar classes and observed two of sirchai's lessons. The problems are:

1. He can't take their phones away, as they're allowed to do so in other subjects. Would be against "human" rights, or so.

2. The screaming and running around kids are always those who're also bad in other subjects. You could be quiet for the whole hour and they would just continue and get louder.Homeroom teachers do not participate to get them to be quiet.

3. There's no back up from his school, as most Thais believe being a teacher means to be able to deal with retarded students as well.

4. If Rajabhat students, who''l be English teachers in May sit in his class, this guy's even having a 'chat" with the kids and makes it worse.

5. Too many kid can't read, speak, or write in English, impossible to start over again in grade six. Mistakes were made in all grades before.

6. Sirchai takes teaching seriously and isn't just in for the money.

7. Outstanding students have asked him to help them that the loud kids shut up. Thai homeroom teacher pretty much helpless.

8. Many kids fight, go out when they want to without asking for permission, which was one of the rules in the beginning. Kids are also seen on lockers or wardrobes, some of them jump from desk to desk, if not involved in a fight with another student.

10. The Thai English teachers don't understand him. Meetings of the English teachers are always conducted in Thai.

Conclusion: Once you've made such an experience, you'll appreciate any other school after that one, as the school's reputation is well- known all over Ubon's borders.

This job would be impossible for a teacher without Thai speaking skills.Seems that there're schools out there, not worth to apply for a job,as the starting salary is 25K.

He's on 27 K now after more than three and time for him to move on, as their promises are always lies.

Edited by lostinisaan

I have seen this over and over, and it gets old, sorry. Who are we trying to kid? There are all these discussions, online and in person, and nothing ever gets done. Nothing. Just get the paycheck, shrug everything else off and be done. I actually think some of you people have really convinced yourselves that you care. You don't, trust me. Just get the paycheck and get out.

I have seen this over and over, and it gets old, sorry. Who are we trying to kid? There are all these discussions, online and in person, and nothing ever gets done. Nothing. Just get the paycheck, shrug everything else off and be done. I actually think some of you people have really convinced yourselves that you care. You don't, trust me. Just get the paycheck and get out.

Nahhhhh. You're just trying to justify your own 'couldn't care less attitude'.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1